Detroit MLS and/or MCS in the News

Discussion in 'Detroit' started by Footsatt, Aug 11, 2010.

1. D-Cubed

D-Cubed New Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Detroit
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Here's what Garber has to say when lead into a question about the Cosmos:
    "SI.com: The only group publicly aiming to be the 20th MLS team is the New York Cosmos.
    Garber: Publicly.
    SI.com: They've hired Eric Cantona, Pelé and Cobi Jones, among others. What are their chances?
    Garber: I have a lot of respect for what [Cosmos CEO] Paul Kemsley and his partners have done to relaunch the Cosmos brand. They'll be the first to say to realize their goals, they need an MLS team, and we've been in detailed discussions with them to see whether or not that's something that can come to fruition. Before we can do that we need a stadium plan, which we don't have at this point, though we're making progress with the City of New York, which is supporting us on trying to find a suitable location. There are others much less public than the Cosmos who continue to express interest. Sometime by the end of the year we'll have a better sense as to where we're going with the 20th team. But I'm committed to trying to finalize a deal so it can be here in New York."
    Clearly he's leaning one way, despite the fact that he doesn't know where the money being put toward that group is coming from and that the owners of the Mets owe something close to a billion dollars after getting swindled by Bernie madoff.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/grant_wahl/03/11/MLS.Don.Garber/index.html

In this article about how the Wilpons would make great owners, Detroit gets a slight mention. According to this article, the League really wants the 20th team in New York City and will work to make that happen
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/soccer/wires/03/11/Wilpons.MLS.ap/index.html

2. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. D-Cubed

D-Cubed New Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Detroit
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  4. RedRover

RedRover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007
    ^^ I remember watching that game between Detroit and Tulsa (Yes, I'm that old :(). I also remember the following month the Express came to my hometown of Sarnia, Ontario to play a friendly with Sarnia City, where Detroit spanked them 4-0. And this was just before Trevor Francis, a world class player in his prime, would hook up with the Express and lead them to a division title. Good times for soccer in Detroit. :)

5. atkruz789

atkruz789 Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Press like this only helps, been getting feedback from new fans and non-soccer fans that they think it would work here and would be interested in checking it out. Once you are part of a supporters section it is hard to dislike soccer, it is intoxicating.

6. opal347

opal347 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 18, 2005
    Clinton Twp, MI
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. footygal

footygal Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Detroit
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That was soooooooo hot it really got me going

8. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are you wearing? ;)

9. opal347

opal347 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 18, 2005
    Clinton Twp, MI
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. bradd

bradd Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm very reasonable. ;)

12. footygal

footygal Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Detroit
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    There has been tons of news lately thanks to the Apostolopoulos family and the motor city supporters.post links to the story's here.

13. atkruz789

atkruz789 Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will try and do it later tonight...there are SO MANY!

14. footygal

footygal Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Detroit
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Just a good old red white and blue flag ;)