Derrick Williams at Aston Villa

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by #1 Feilhaber and Adu, Oct 30, 2011.

1. twostudsup

twostudsup Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Behind you
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Mongolia
    I believe that his mom's irish, dad is american serviceman, and derrick was born in germany.

2. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Link?

I thought you had to be a citizen, aka eligible for the team, not eligible to get citizenship.

Or are they counting potential dual citizenships as some sort of passive citizenship?

3. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is really a matter of semantics. When you are born overseas to an American citizen who meets residency rules and a foreign national, you are automatically a US citizen, even if you or your parents never apply for nor intend to apply for a US passport. You are also probably a citizen of your foreign parent's country (though you may not be a citizen of the country you were born in -- the US is one of the few countries that award citizenship based on place of birth). Depending on a lot a factors, you could have 5 or 6 citizenships at birth or shortly thereafter.

An example would be Danny Williams. He had represented Germany at U-15 level. He never had a US passport until about 8 days before his first match with the US team. http://www.socceramerica.com/article/44055/danny-williams-passport-in-hand-ready-to-serve-u.html

I've tried digging through FIFA regulations, but they aren't easy for finding the pertinent passage with the interpretation. As I understand it, FIFA is differentiating this type of citizenship (one you are born with or acquire early in life) from naturalization which some federations are using to quickly grab players to fill out their rosters. If a young man moved to the US with his parents from Honduras and participated in a U-17 tournament for Honduras before his parents became naturalized in the US, then he wouldn't meet the provisions to be able to make the one time switch.

I'm sure I could be wrong, but all the articles I'm reading seem to follow this line of reasoning.

4. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. JasonFray23

JasonFray23 New Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I hope he's eligible for us, seems like a talented kid

6. Footyfan1987

Footyfan1987 New Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Derrick's dad was was born and bred in America and was serving in Germany when he met Derrick's mum who is Irish! The family then moved to the states where Derrick lived till he was 7 before moving to Ireland.
    He has a younger sister who was born in America so he would have no problem proving his eligibility to play for USA if he wanted I think he choose Ireland because he lived there from 7 years old and considers there home...

1 person likes this.
  7. sakibomb523

sakibomb523 Member+

Oct 13, 2009
    Orange County
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thanks for the info

8. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Williams is on the bench today for Villa against Tranmere.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  9. soccaisthecoolest

Jul 22, 2008
    Where does he fall on Villa's depth chart? Might it be better for him to be loaned out to a lower division team?

10. fightingswans

fightingswans Member

May 31, 2007
    vermont
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    He got straight red tonight for ROI U-21 against Italy in 2013 qualifying. Interestingly, Ireland had already been eliminated from next summer's tournament.

11. McGarnagle

McGarnagle Member+

Apr 29, 2010
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He made his first team debut today, coming on in the 66th minute against QPR.

HartwickFan repped this.
  12. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
  13. sakibomb523

sakibomb523 Member+

Oct 13, 2009
    Orange County
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He would've had to have filed a one-time switch, no?

14. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An Irish buddy of mine in NYC grew up with Derrick's family. This kid is very proud to be part of the Irish system.

File this as unlikely. Even just following him on twitter, he's committed to Ireland

sakibomb523, USvsIRELAND and Real Corona repped this.
  17. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Hey you never know. If I had a twitter and was a baller you'd think I'd be proud to be part of Irish system too.

At the minimum you'd hope that Tab reached out.

18. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL

The Republic of Ireland U21 international turned down a new deal with the Premier League club in order to secure regular football with City.
    "I thought it was a good opportunity," he told BBC Radio Bristol.
    "I wanted to play games and Bristol City are a big club so I thought I'd take it and see how it goes."

The age old question: Stay with the big club or get PT at the smaller club?

Hopefully he made the right choice!

20. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States