Derby Day - Manchester City vs. Manchester United - [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester City' started by MVF, Sep 18, 2009.

1. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    [​IMG]

vs

[​IMG]

It's the one we all look forward to.
    Adebayor + Robinho + Benjani definately out. Tevez probably out.
    I'm confident about at least getting a draw however.
    What are we all thinking?​

2. thetoffees

thetoffees New Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Everton fan in peace here!

You boys looking forward to this one????

Surely the biggest Manchester derby in years,

to give you a confidence boost I saw the Premier League blog listing six reason why City will win on Sunday.

Predictions?

I think you boys could get a result, 1-2 I reckon, that will really stir things up at the top of the league!

3. CityBlues

CityBlues Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cautiously optomistic I think is the phrase here.

Negatives definitely are, no Adebayor, no Robinho, probably no Tevez. Getting a result will be difficult to say the least, although I could see us drawing in an 1-1 or 0-0 type scenario I am not counting on us winning this one. One thing I will say is, it's not the end of the world if we do end up losing this match. Our upcoming schedule is quite favorable for us: (League Matches) West Ham(H), Villa(A), Wigan(A), Fulham(H), Birmingham(A), Burnley(H). Out of these I can see at least 14 points if not more, which leads us all the way to late November against Liverpool, in which we very well could be 4th or higher.

Anyhow, the lineup for this one should be interesting. I think we will see Bellamy as a lone striker up top with a 5 man midfield. Barry, SWP are locks, Ireland will likely start, personally I think De Jong is a MUST HAVE against United in terms of disrupting their midfield. We may see Petrov and/or Weiss make it in on one of the wings? Throwing Weiss in the fire is an exciting prospect to me, he is capable of brilliant football. The key will be midfield, if we can stump them and keep possesion generally even we have a shot. De Jong and Barry are important in this respect, I would almost say throw another D-Mid on (Kompany comes to mind, oh how I miss him!), but we really don't have too many options. If Ireland can deliver in an attack mid position with Barry and De Jong behind that would be optimal. Tracking back is also a must. Defensively, we will see the same Bridge, Lescott, Toure, Richards combo, I have few complaints here as they seem to be gelling a bit more now.

Not trying to put all my hopes and dreams into the match, I actually don't feel that this match is as critical to our season as it used to be. When we had nothing to play for beating United was our one chance for glory, now that we're competitive it takes some of the luster away for me personally. Although, I hate United and always will want to see them suffer :D I would be great with a draw, over the moon with a win, and slightly disappointed with a loss, but not devastated.

Come on you blues!

4. EstebanLugo

EstebanLugo Member

Mar 18, 2007
    N of your DB
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I could see City winning without those absences, but with all the top strikers missing, I think it's going to be a draw against this weakened version of United.

Any chances we see Roque Santa Cruz's debut?

5. MLSn00b

MLSn00b Member

Apr 3, 2008
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm thinking that we'll probably get a draw as well.

6. pazzmore

pazzmore Member

Jun 17, 2000
    Tucson, AZ
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with getting men behind the ball and controlling the game with possession. You can always count on excitement from SWP, Petrov and Young Vlad (whom I would LOVE to see get minutes in this one). And you can always expect 100% effort from Bellamy and Ireland. Our defense will hold strong... I think we have enough bench to do well in this. It will come down to how Hughes decides to play it.

Can you see Tevez coming off the bench in the 75th to score the winning goal? I CAN!!

7. thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut Member

Mar 25, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt it.

8. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=677540&sec=england&root=england&cc=5901

Big mistake for Tevez. Unlike a lot of fans, I treat this game as just one game. If he gets hurt and is out for 3 months, it will be a big blow for us and the only people laughing about this are Rags Fans.

You have nothing to prove Tevez. It's pride before the fall. You're hurt and are not scheduled to be back until at least next week. We need you for the remaining 33 games. Winning against United is the same as winning against Portsmouth, it gives you 3 points. Fight another day when you are not injured.

9. pazzmore

pazzmore Member

Jun 17, 2000
    Tucson, AZ
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ChineseFootballer... I think Hughes and the MCFC medical staff understand exactly what you are saying and would not give him the go-ahead unless he is clear of injury.

10. thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut Member

Mar 25, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me it's the least biggest.

No one hates Scum more then I do but the Manchester Derby for years has always been the outlet for me, to get out the stress of perhaps a relegation dabbling year. I remember being so proud when Sven did the double over those bastards and although they still won the league, they didn't get a single point off of us. There was also a year under pearce, where we beat and tied them and I was a man possesed.

But the fact is, Our objectives have changed since them. And to be very frank... If united have to beat Arsenal or Liverpool later in the year to ensure us making the CL... well goddamnit... I guess i'm rooting for the hack first force.

Also Scumunited won the league last year with an abismal record vs the other top four. What this says to me, is that the league is not won at Old Trafford... it's won at White Hart Lane or at The Reebok. And I'm not saying we have a chance to win the league, but we certainly have a chance to make the top four... and winning the Game's your supposed to is top priority, losing to United away is really not a big deal.

11. thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut Member

Mar 25, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guesses:

---------Foster-------------
    O'Shea-- Rio------Vidic---Evra
    Park----Fletcher--Carrick---- Nani
    ----------Giggs------------------
    --------------Fatty-------------

vs

-----------Tevez-------------
    Bellamy---------------------Swp
    ---------Barry------Ireland----
    --------------DeJong-----------
    Bridge---Lescott---Toure----Richards

On paper this match up is pretty even.

They have the incredible system,experience. that should get them the win in this match up. Also NO WAY are the good guys getting a call at Old Trafford.

(Let's just agree that complaining about a missed penalty after this match up is futile, simply because Vidic will be allowed to tackle guys like he's with The Bears and Rooney will get any call he wants so long as he cries about it. Lady Luck has been carefully selected by Fergo for years now.)

But perhaps the Derby's natural ability to cause form to go out the window, and perhaps the fact that some these scumbags had only 4 days rest since being in Turkey for a tough one... could sway things in our favor.

12. MLSn00b

MLSn00b Member

Apr 3, 2008
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, I rather see him on the bench or in the stands. I like that he's fired up to play in this match, but its just not worth it with the risk involved. And if he isn't 100% he may even end up being a bit of a hindrance

13. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    I don't know why we won't start Benjani. When is RSC going to be fit? He cost us 18 million pounds man. We have a very expense practice squad.

I don't mind going for the draw. Have Bellamy as the lone striker and add in Petrov in the midfield. We know the Rags have good defense, so scoring will be tough. However, if we just dominate the midfield, we can have a good shot at keeping our undefeated season and go home with a point.

14. MLSn00b

MLSn00b Member

Apr 3, 2008
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^18 mill pounds to Allardyce's ego.

15. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Benjani is out til December. RSC should be fit for the bench/next week.

I disagree with above, i think it's the biggest derby in recent years. It's the first time we have a great chance to be around the scum in league placings and its the first time we've got rednose worried to any degree. Yes, our objectives have changed but don't lose sight of the derby inside of that. It's still the fixture i look to first when the list comes out.

16. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Tevez is playing after all. Regardless of the result of this game, Please Please Please don't pick up a serious injury Tevez.

I'll be praying for Tevez.

17. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Baaaaarrrryy!

1-1 :d

18. MLSn00b

MLSn00b Member

Apr 3, 2008
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great job by Tevez on pressuring Taylor there. Absolutely great.

19. babai_here

babai_here Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Kolkata
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Why Robinho is not playing? Unfit or out of form?

20. EstebanLugo

EstebanLugo Member

Mar 18, 2007
    N of your DB
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Intelligent game by the sky blues so far holding posession and waiting for the right time to pounce. If the defense dosen't make any more silly mistakes like in United's goal, I think you guys can count on a good result here.

21. MLSn00b

MLSn00b Member

Apr 3, 2008
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfit. I think he was reported to be out for a month about a week or two ago.

22. Slater582

Slater582 Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Shrewsbury, England
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Who?

Just checked the time zone for MVF, not long gone 11 so quite nice for him.

23. thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut Member

Mar 25, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PLAY ********IN FOOTBALL YOU HACKS... scum bag united

24. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Haha. This is probably the earliest i've watched City play all year. Usually its all 12am/2am starts.

We are playing quite well. Tevez should of scored then!