Deportivo la Coruna [R]

Discussion in 'Galicia' started by DSC05, Jul 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    Deportivoooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    Even better to be back around more often, DSC. Life has been absolutely crazy, but things are starting to settle down.

From Depor International:

REVIEW: DEPORTIVO 4 - AC MILAN 0 (CHAMPIONS LEAGUE)

8th April 2004 -- Miracles exist.And April 7, 2004 will go into the history of football as a day of such a miracle. A vibrating Riazor lifted the team of Deportivo to beat Champions League winners AC Milan 4-0 and the score could have even been higher as the Italians looked completely lost after Pandiani, Valerón and Luque gave the Galicians a 3-0 half-time lead. After the break it was expected that Milan would bounce back, but a fourth goal scored by Fran was to be the final blow to the visitors. Now Deportivo will fight out with FC Porto a place in the final, with the other Semi Final being between AS Monaco and Chelsea.

BEFORE THE MATCH
    Already on Sunday the thoughts of the Deportivo players looked to be on the match against Milan as a 2-0 lead was wasted against Betis Sevilla. It indicated how much the Champions League match means to the squad as it is the only trophy left to win this season. Luckily Irureta could count on winger Víctor Sánchez as he was recovered in time to face AC Milan. Together with Luque, Valerón and Pandiani he had to create the danger in the Quarter Final clash. For their part, Milan didn't want to take any risk and fielded al the stars they have. It caused the expectation among all that Deportivo still had a chance of reaching the Semi Finals, but that chance was small. All proved to be wrong.

FIRST HALF
    Deportivo were like a hurricane in the first minutes and put a lot of pressure upon Milan. But the Italians took over the initiative and had the first chance through striker Tomasson. But the Dane saw his gentle volley parried by Deportivo goalkeeper Molina. And one minute later Deportivo were in front when Walter Pandiani received a cross from the left, turned around Paolo Maldini and shot through the Italian's legs to beat Dida. It's amazing to see how Pandiani has scored three goals against Italian teams making their defenders look like trees.

This was the start that Deportivo wanted and Milan had wanted to avoid. The Riazor crowd got behind the team and the Galicians went on in a furious rhythm. There was no time to take free kicks or corner kicks in a slow pace and the passion was converted into a deluge of chances. Especially winger Víctor Sánchez was amazing at the left and was close to scoring himself twice, of which one effort hit the post. After it he had a clever one-two with the magnificent Valerón, but the Canarian midfielder saw his effort being saved by Dida.

Milan had another good opportunity though when Kaká had a one-on-one with Molina. But the Deportivo goalkeeper kept his focus on the ball and saved the try of Kaká and send it spinning across goal for the defence to hack away. But it was not much Milan showed in the first half. Their movement looked sluggish and, as unusual as it might sound, their defence was shaking. And it received another blow when ten minutes before half-time Valerón scored the second goal of Deportivo. He headed in a cross from Luque and now the team was just one goal away from a miracle.

Riazor went crazy. The stands were about to burst because of the noise and movements produced by the crowd. Meanwhile, Milan seemed to shrink in the face of such aggressive opposition. Just before half-time it was payback time when Luque used a mistake of Nesta to have a clear run towards Dida and to produce a clinical left-foot shot into the top corner. Another decisive goal of Luque, and within 45 minutes the miracle already looked to be there. It was a turnaround of the situation two weeks earlier when Kaká scored the important equalizer just before the break.

SECOND HALF
    There was some psychological movement during the break as Deportivo ran into the dressing room indicating that they wanted to return as soon as possible. But as Milan were already waiting on the pitch after the break, Deportivo slowly appeared as gladiators in front of their victims. And it had an immediate effect as Milan looked bewildered at the start of the second half. They had a lot of possession but only could create one good chance, missed by Tomasson. And after Ancelotti took off Pirlo it looked like the angle was taken out of the Italian team.

Meanwhile, Irureta reacted too and brought Fran for Luque. A logical substitution and which already has happened quit a lot this season. Luque is the one who must run the defenders crazy, after which Fran's lethal moves are to finish off the opponent. But Galician-born Fran did even more as he scored the decisive 4-0 when his effort was deflected by Milan defender Cafú. It meant that Deportivo could even leak a goal after which extra-time was to be played. But it didn't come to that as Milan looked lifeless and helpless and never was capable to save this match.

AFTER THE MATCH
    The amazing come-back of Deportivo means that another page has been written in the history of the Champions League by the Galician club. With the 4-0 victory they have become the first side ever to overcome a three-goal first-leg deficit in the Champions League. Meanwhile, Irureta will have a busy summer as before the match he had promised to make the sacred route to Santiago de Compostela on his knees if is team was able to eliminate Milan. Referee Urs Meier proved to be the talisman of Deportivo as he also led the heroic match between Deportivo and Paris-Saint Germain (4-3) of March 2001.

3. Almogavar92

Almogavar92 New Member

Aug 17, 2001
    USA
    Club:
    Galatasaray SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    On a history note, it's all ironic from a Barcelona's point of view.

We have to thank Depor on inflicting Milan a scoreline that was inflicted on us ten years ago in the final (4-0 loss to Milan in Athens). That was 1994, so exactly ten years ago. But the one who avenged such a humiliation was the club that we edged out that very year to the League title when Bebeto refused to take the penalty eventually missed by Djukovic against Valencia. That handed FC Barcelona the title and Depor a so-close chance to winning La Liga for the first time.

Anyways, all irrelevant if you're not a Barcelona fan. But great result for a Depor side that hasn't had much to cheer about lately. Buena suerte Depor...por la primera copa Europa!!

4. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    Another Depor victory!!!

0-2 Villaereal - Depor

goals from Pandiani and Tristan.

5. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    [​IMG]

Why can't I post pictures in this thread?????????

6. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    Public Service Announcement:

Deportivo vs Porto in Portugal next Wednesday. This will give you one week to figure out what sickness you plan on using to get out of work to see the game. Please plan ahead.

7. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    lol! Im lucky, my night shifts allow me to see the match live! :D

8. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    Thanks for the news Nutmeg.

Luckily for me, I'll be out of class for the day, so I'll be able to watch. :)

9. A_town_futbol

A_town_futbol New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Deportivo v. Porto

i think deportivo is gonna put the hurt on porto. They are coming off a great win and they are in excellent form.

10. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    Re: Deportivo v. Porto

si la logica se impone Depor gana esta serie cagado en risa

11. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    1-1 Depor - Valladolid

MATCH STATISTICS
    Deportivo: Munúa - Héctor, César, Jorge Andrade, Capdevila - Víctor Sánchez, Sergio, Duscher, Fran (64 Munitis), Luque (46 Djalminha) - Tristán (46 Pandiani)
    Valladolid: Bizarri - Torres Gómez, Pablo Paz, Caminero, Julio César, Marcos - Ricchetti, Chema (64 Oscar Sánchez), Oscar (78 Figueredo), Sales - Losada (93 Javi Jiménez)
    Goals: 44' Oscar 0-1 56' Djalminha (pen) 1-1
    Referee: Pino Zamorano. Showed yellow cards to Víctor Sánchez, Capdevila, Duscher and Munitis (Deportivo) and to Sales, Oscar Sánchez and coach Fernando Vázquez (Valladolid)
    Attendance: 20,000 (Riazor)

from International Depor Website.

--

This is from Saturday's match. I think is was Munúa's first liga start. Of course everyone knows we play FC Porto on Wednesday.

12. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    Just a reminder to start coughing tomorrow. Maybe tell your boss that you have a strange ache in your groin area. Back when I was working for "the man," that excuse never seemed to get any pushback. I wonder why?

13. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So is it time for Depor to have a Forum of its own?

If so, I'll request it.

14. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    I kind of like our never-ending thread. DSC?

16. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    I'd like a Depor Forum but I doubt we'd have enough posters. And I like this never-ending thread too. Maybe we should keep it for next season too?

Edit: Besides, if anyone wants to talk Depor futbol with Depor supporters, the International Depor Website has great boards.

17. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aight.

Just wanted to give you-all the choice.

Feel free to let me know if ever you want a forum of your own.

18. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    Game almost on..... I can't stand this!

19. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    Man, their stadium looks unbelievable. And it's rocking...

20. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    Not a great game to watch, but Depor went out and accomplished what they needed to. Would have liked to get that away goal, though.

21. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    Thanks I'll for the support, I do hope one day we will have a Depor forum, but right now there isn't enough posters to justify it. But you'll be the first person I ask.

Any chance you can turn the IMG tags back on?

22. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    I would have a liked an away goal too. I'm a little worried with Mauro Silva and Andrade out. Hopefully Luque will be fit, I really didn't see why he was injured.

Booooorring match, but luckily we didn't allow a goal.

23. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I can see how limited the traffic is.

I'll ask to get them turned on.

24. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh and I did watch a portion of the match. Got in just after the half, and was asleep in 10 minutes. :)

Depor are in the catbird seat for the return. Too bad they couldn't get a goal.

I'm pulling for Depor to win it all. It would be great to see.

25. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Try the IMGs now.:)