Denver to host Gold Cup Game(s) this summer

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by tonhtubra, Jan 23, 2013.

1. COYP

COYP Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Denver
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It has to be Mexico. There is no way we could come close to filling that stadium for anyone else. Even the US B or C team.

2. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You sound angry. Have you tried meditation?

Yes, we have zero information on who is playing. That was part of the point. The only team that I think would have any impact on the Rapids would be if we get lucky enough to host a US game. Based on matches we've had in the past and my personal experience, I really don't think Mexico would do anything for us. We also would get nothing out of it if we got something like Canada vs. Martinique.

And who said anything about FO incompetence? I haven't brought that up at all in the context of this situation. I was pointing why it would seem awfully unlikely that KSE would put effort into something so they can watch a competitor rake in the cash. In fact, my guess is they put some effort into and ended up getting screwed...this is CONCACAF we're talking about after all.

Also, Hinchey does deserve credit for getting that WCQ in March.

Calm down. Go outside. The "White Knight" routine doesn't suit you very well.

3. Levy2k6

Levy2k6 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 19, 2010
    Section 129, Row A
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back when Reliant Stadium hosted the SemiFinal Gold Cup double header game.. Dynamo STHs got a presale code but we were also playing at Roberston Stadium (University of Houston)

I assume you'll get presale codes too..

This year. we got a gold cup game at our new BBVA Compass Std(22K) instead of the 71K+ at reliant.

4. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since several have brought this up, this might actually make some sense in terms of a benefit to KSE. The question would be if/how large walk-up sales would impact that.

5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I notice that the newest announcement on the Sports Authority website is for a Kenny Chesney concert. You get tickets for that through Ticketmaster, and Broncos/Outlaws STHs get a pre-sale.

Maybe they'll do something different for the Gold Cup (TicketHorse/Rapids STHs pre-sale) but I'm not holding my breath.

6. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Below is what they did for the NZ/Mexico match. Also, although SUM is mentioned in this email, other emails had MLS logos. Unsure if this would be the same this time since CONCACAF is involved.

Rapids Season Ticket Holders,
    The Federación Mexicana de Fútbol (FMF), together with Soccer United Marketing (SUM), announced today the widely popular Mexican National Team will host the New Zealand National Team on Wednesday, June 1st at 8:00 p.m. MST at INVESCO Field at Mile High in Denver, Colorado.

As a Rapids Season Ticket Holder, you have an exclusive presale opportunity to purchase tickets starting on Monday, April 18th at 10 A.M. Ticket sales to the general public will begin a week from today, on Friday, April 22nd via Ticketmaster.com, 1-800-745-3000, and all Ticketmaster locations. Please visit this link to purchase tickets starting Monday, and use the password: Champs10. You will receive $5 off the face value of the tickets

7. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    There was actually a STH pre-sale for the Mexico-New Zealand friendly, plus I had forgotten there was also a special package of the game w/Rapids v. NYRB.

Edit: and you're right about the ticket broker, ticketmaster handled that friendly. Boo.
    Edit2: Announced attendance: 45,401
    Edit3: Coke to Stuart95, or whatever the current practice is on the interwebs.

8. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    It makes sense. Rapids STH are not likely to buy all the "prime" seats and giving them presale opportunity may entice more to attend.

9. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since it was a SUM deal, the Rapids probably made money indirectly because it was SUM that provided the match itself to the venue.

I have no idea how it works when CONCACAF is running it. I imagine the Rapids would only see a kickback if SUM was involved since signs seem to point away from TicketHorse.

10. Hunt998

Hunt998 Member

Feb 17, 2012
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I actually I went and grabbed a sandwich in your honor (turkey & cheddar). It had tomatoes too, which was a mistake because they were still a little green and fairly bitter as tomatoes go.

11. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The most interesting thing about this announcement was some of the other cities: Atlanta, Miami, Baltimore, and Hartford. Maybe USSF/MLS are gauging interest in future expansion cities?

Break-break, I also had a sandwich for lunch (Pulled Pork with a side of fried okra).

12. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Top Ramen with shredded kale.

13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went for the waffle combo for lunch, sorry to break the streak. ;)

14. WJMarx

WJMarx BigSoccer Supporter

May 5, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A bucket of steamed oysters and a Caesar salad at the Lazy Flamingo. Yummy!!!

15. jdub3379

jdub3379 Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the pot calling the kettle black...

16. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you even lift bro?

Edit: Just finished eating a sandwich.

17. Jimmydinho

Jimmydinho Member+

Jul 6, 2007
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty jazzed that this will be either:

A) a double header and we get to see 4 teams take the field in two games, back to back if we get Group Stages or Semi or Quarter Finals.
    Or
    B) we get the final match and watch the one that really counts, which of course we won't get the final but whatever, two games in one day will be a nice treat.

18. jdub3379

jdub3379 Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm so offended that I don't even know what that's supposed to mean, care to elaborate?

Anyways, any soccer that comes here can only benefit us, so long as its not on the same night as a Rapids game. I doubt these games will steal ticket sales away from us. I'm glad we have a market for it at all in Denver no matter who had a hand in bringing it here.

19. 30Something

30Something Member

Jun 3, 2004
    5280 Feet
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gold Cup matches average 50K plus attendance. I don't think they plan to fill the stadium, but they'll FAR surpass the capacity of DSGP.

That said, I was somewhat surprised at the stadium choices. Odd they would include ~20K seaters in Jeld-Wen (Portland), Rio Tinto (SLC) and BBVA Compass (Houston) while ignoring the MLS venues in Chicago, Dallas, Denver and LA.

To address comments made by Quinn, Jason and others, it seems to me that Tim and the Rapids FO is not looking at International matches as a way to directly fill the Rapids' coffers. Instead, they want the Intl matches to get soccer more face time in the local media, thus having an indirect impact on the Rapids' attendance, and the public's perception of soccer as a "world class" spectator sport.

Another way to look at it: There is a reason MLS was started in 1996. It was a direction reaction to the public's reception of soccer following the 1994 World Cup. If we can recreate a LITTLE bit of that excitement in Denver, it will benefit the Rapids as a whole.

jdub3379, Jimmydinho and Hunt998 repped this.
  20. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From Nov, 2012 glad Rapids followed through.

"We’re going to raise our hands for all soccer events, be it a U.S. Soccer Federation match or any other top flight international soccer event that comes to the United States," Hinchey added. "We are ideally located, have one of the best complexes in the country, and have fantastic support. And, we're confident we can provide a home-field advantage for U.S. Soccer."
    http://www.coloradorapids.com/news/...ts-including-hexagonal?quicktabs_news_blogs=1

jayd8888, crazyjon85 and Stuart95 repped this.
  21. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually it was a prerequisite of landing the World Cup. FIFA only gave the U.S. the Cup if they agreed to start a DI pro league. It was actually supposed to start in 1995, right after the World Cup,. but financial and infrastructure issues forced them to delay a year.

22. 30Something

30Something Member

Jun 3, 2004
    5280 Feet
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but if the World Cup in 1994 wasn't as successful in the US as it was, the major MLS investors (Anchutz and Hunt) would have bolted. USSF would have probably still trotted out a D1 league, but it would have looked and ended up a lot more like the WPS (or A-League) than the current MLS.

23. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was suprised, too but the more I think about it the more I believe those stadiums were chosen due to their initimacy, their atmosphere, and their possbility to be "pro-American" (Houston is debatable depending on opponent). I could see PDX, SLC, and HOU all vying for 2 of the 3 group matches for the US and I bet Seattle gets the other. Those sites, Seattle included, just ramps up the interest in the US which potentially creates a longer crowd (at the big stadiums) if the US progresses. Just a theory.

24. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't "Cascadia" just declare sovereign independence from US soccer to form their own team or something crazy like that.:rolleyes:

25. Hunt998

Hunt998 Member

Feb 17, 2012
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    That's just pompous and deuchy enough to have come from "Cascadia". I almost hate Seattle more than FSL based solely on the ridiculous comments they make under stories on MLSsoccer.com. Portland and Vancouver aren't nearly as bad though.

Stuart95 repped this.