Dempsey: Tottenham v. Lazio (Europe League - Nov. 22)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by usfootball20, Nov 22, 2012.

1. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not January yet. Dempsey needs some time to adjust- I've been predicting a half-season. I think he'll raise his game come 2013. He does have work yet to do.

2. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I watched the rest because I wanted to see if the club improved with Defoe and Lennon on ... uhm, it didn't.

AVB did adjust the spacing by moving Adebayor deeper - and now the guy is saying that if Tottenham wants to move him in the winter, it's fine with him - and Defoe on top. That didn't work either. It sort of looked like England-Italy from the last Euros - now the English players have the ball, now the Italians pass it around 30 times while the English chase.

3. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

no he has not played in place of Ade or Defoe ... he has played in place of Sig or Dembele (who is now coming back) ...he typically has played just behind Defoe or Ade .. now neither of them are playing that well or that selflessly right now ... and I blame that on AVB. But if the manager is not coaching well you still need to distinguish yourself for the fans and for a subsequent manager so that you are not at risk. Yes Clint gets the E for effort in mixing it up and taking the hits and so forth but he is also known for the killer pass and I have not seen him make the effort this year to really provide that pass nor he has put himself in position to get the garbage tap in. He is not a big fish in a small pond anymore (Fulham) and therefore he needs simply to do more. Dempsey is without a doubt being outclassed by Michael Bradley this year (comparing YAs) ... just the way it is.

4. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I don't think your memory of the line-ups is exactly correct, although due to injuries it is hard to know what AVB will do with Dembele back, but Clint has played the top striker, second striker, CAM in a 5/2-3 (ostensibly what he played v. Lazio) and in the midfield with 2 strikers. The only place he hasn't played is where I think he'd be most effective - the RAM in the 5/2-3 that they played v. Lazio (I would have thought you switch him and Siggi, but I think maybe AVB values Clint's scoring ability a bit more and wants him center. I think he'd be more effective on the right.)

Demps has more commonly swapped/filled in for Adebayor or Defoe at this point than Siggi or Carrol, but with Ade being out so much and Dembele out as well, it feels like AVB is patching things together a bit.

I don't think anyone would argue that Clint is being as effective as he can be so far this year, I was just surprised by the suggestion of lack of effort. I don't see it. I understand casual fans seeing his body posture and hang-dog look and thinking he's not interested, but I kinda figured USMNT watchers know that's just how he looks. He just hasn't found his spot yet.