Dempsey to Sounders?

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by mangerson, Aug 2, 2013.

1. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Just heard Dempsey speaking to the crowd. Doesn't really have much of a PNW accent does he? Guess he didn't pick up Brad Friedel's slight British drawl....

2. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right, it never has.

3. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only good thing about Dempsey making so much is that now the likelihood players better than him coming over rises. He probably will flop though. Too big a risk for a guy that isn't much of a creator.

evade6317 repped this.
  4. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

There is no such thing as a PNW accent. Trust me, I know.;)

markmcf8 repped this.
  5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah I was mostly kidding.

6. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So if MLS is going to pony up 9 mil on the transfer fee for Dempsey the Quakes have no excuse why next year they cannot go to the league and ask them to pony up cash for Kaká to come and play in the new stadium.

7. SWOKI

SWOKI Member

Jan 14, 2010
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When we have the new stadium and pull 40thou plus fans they will ... wait, we have an 18 plus stadium. :thumbsup:

markmcf8 repped this.
  8. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's Wolff's fault for playing conservative, AGAIN.

don gagliardi repped this.
  9. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, and how much did the Sounders splurge on their stadium?

markmcf8, SWOKI and Via_Chicago repped this.
  10. SWOKI

SWOKI Member

Jan 14, 2010
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^ truuuuue

11. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where do you people get all this info about Lew being a tightwad? I have never heard anything that would countermand what was said several years ago; that Lew and John Fisher would give the money that was necessary to get any DP that the coaches wanted if the coaches wanted one, two or three DPs. The rub has always lain with the coaches and whether they think they need designated players.

DotMPP and markmcf8 repped this.
  12. SWOKI

SWOKI Member

Jan 14, 2010
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't it Yallop that didn't want to keep Geo (not sure if he was worth keeping anyway)
    Dawkins was a money deal as well or did we not have the option to buy him?

13. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look at the player signings and tell how that theory is even close to being true. Wondo (who I don't think is worth DP-money) and who else?

14. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah how much did NYRB splurge on their stadium? 200mil. Next.

15. SWOKI

SWOKI Member

Jan 14, 2010
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, more player signings would be nice, but wasn't it Yallop that didn't want to make changes during the off season?

Why not have Wondo DP?
    No one in the league has put up the numbers he has.
    Other clubs were looking to sign him (not that he would leave, but is it worth the risk)
    Who else on our squad would put up the numbers he has?

IMO I would DP any player that puts up the numbers Wondo has.

QuietType and markmcf8 repped this.
  16. SWOKI

SWOKI Member

Jan 14, 2010
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel lucky we're going to have a stadium, yet alone a team in SJ
    Things can only get better (the glass is half full)

markmcf8 repped this.
  17. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Considering that Wondo's production rate over the last few years exceeds that of any DP in the history of the league, I think you can safely say that he deserves to be a DP. That said, we don't necessarily have to stop there :--).

markmcf8 repped this.
  18. SWOKI

SWOKI Member

Jan 14, 2010
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree
    I'm hoping a coach, new regime means new signings

markmcf8 repped this.
  19. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you can only have 3 DPs and the team is willing to only spend on one, Wondo (a guy who makes a living in the six yard box while relying heavily on good service) cannot be your one guy if the rest of the team does not have the players to create the chances for Wondo to put away. With this current group of players the DP has to be your number 10. Because the playmaker is the guy that makes his teammates better. Wondo does not. I also think he is a bottler in the post season.

I've said it numerous times. Wondo can be one of many DPs on a team and that team would be pretty good. He just can't be THE guy on this team as it stands. He's too reliant on others. Just look at the goals this past week. Right place right time with a finishing touch necessary to score. That's Wondo, he can do that job for you and do it effectively. The problem is when a Salinas and Chavez are playing like crap (which has occured regularly this year) Wondo can no longer be the guy doing what he is best at in sniffing out opportunities, instead he has to leave the six yard box and look for the ball in spots where he is not a threat and as result renders him ineffective.

20. SWOKI

SWOKI Member

Jan 14, 2010
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, was it Yallop or the FO that didn't want to sign other DP's? Is there evidence to show our FO is only willing to spend it on one?

Yes, but who have we had since our resurrection that has been able to make a living in the box?

Not to sound ignorant, but what do you mean?

Yes, we need more DPs to compete with the league

Chavez didn't show up till 2012 and Wondo scored in 18 goals in 2010 and 16 in 2011
    Shea also didn't show up till 2012, so?

21. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

22. SWOKI

SWOKI Member

Jan 14, 2010
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Right, and I asked if that was Yallop choice. Geo came in at the end of the season before Wondo was a DP and after Wondo had the goals

2. He's the only DP because of our coach choose to make him the only one.

3. When it comes to playoffs we have to rely on everyone. A team is not one person and when it comes to playoffs and a cup run other players need to step up. Choker he is not.

4. Everyone one needs player GOOD around them to make a team better. Ryan Jonhson had 12 assist over 3.5 seasons and one season he had 5 which made up the majority. He wasn't isn't the assist king your talking about.
    http://espnfc.com/player/_/id/75642/ryan-johnson?cc=5901 Johnson stats if you want to look

23. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. And how in the world am I supposed know if it was Yallop's choice for certain? All I know is that they have never had more than one at one time with some brought in for half the season only.
    2. Based on what?
    3. When it comes to the playoffs big players are for the big occasions and he hasn't finished his chances. So until he does he will be.Good DP's show up.
    4. 2010 8 assists. good chunk for a player that was a forward. Decent year after that 11 goal season before. Do not try and dismiss what I said about Wondo's specific skillset. He rarely creates for himself so assists and shots on goal from other players are necessary for him to his thing in the six yard box. You cannot dispute that.

24. SWOKI

SWOKI Member

Jan 14, 2010
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1 and 2. This whole thing started because you are blaming our owners for not signing DPs. If that is the case then tell me how you know it is them and not our coach??? I guess neither of us know the case, so that topic won't go any further.

3. It takes a team effort no matter the case. A DP isn't going to score if he doesn't have service TEAM SPORT

4. Ryan had one good year, besides that he was SHIT. Soccer/football is a team sport. It doesn't matter if you are Van Persie on the Quakes ... you are still going to need service.
    Wondo is a beast in the box and can shoot from outside, but his main place in in the 6 like you said. BTW his first goal for the Quakes was outside the box, and from there his career took off.
    A player that can finish in the 6 is huge ... look who we had before and they never finished like Wondo has

25. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is so true!

But, we have some on this forum who think that certain people can do no wrong, while other people are evil and can do no good. Life is more complicated than that. Very few us are always good or right, even me. And very few of us are entirely bad or evil. (Well, there might be some politicians who push that envelop, but this is about soccer.)

It's not like Kaval, Wolff, or Fisher are in charge of scouting players. That's on our coaches and scouts. We can put a lot of that on Doyle, but Doyle's only going after players that the coaches want. He was talking to Rolando Fonseca a few years ago, but the "brain trust" didn't think Rolando was worth $2.2M a year, or maybe they thought they couldn't get enough return on such a player in a tiny rented stadium.

We did sign Ramón Sanchez, we just didn't know what to do with him. And we signed Hucks, and Geo (who we didn't use correctly), and Eduardo (but not that Eduardo), and Robles might have been a good signing, but again, we had no clue how to use him (hint: ACM). Recently we signed Goodson, Alas, and Stewart!! Those are three good signings.

We can complain that somehow Wolff and Fisher aren't ponying up the necessary cash, but the record shows that our GM and coaches don't know who to sign, or their vision of what is possible is too narrow, and when they do sign someone good, they rarely know what to do with that player.

Sorry, this "failure" to acquire good players is on the coaches and our GM, not our owners. I think that Doyle could be a better GM, but he's not responsible for even 40% of this cluster #$%&.

go quakes!!
    Fire Watson!!

- Mark

SWOKI repped this.