Dempsey, Friedel: West Brom vs. Tottenham, 2/3

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by KALM, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It'll be a pretty interesting matchup between Holtby, Parker, and Vertonghen the rest of the season in the battle of the "Best Dad Haircut".

2. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Wait, why are these guys fellating Holtby?

3. Golazo

Golazo Member+

Apr 15, 1999
    Decatur, GA USA
    I may have to switch to NIG v CIV. This is a snoozer.

4. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isnt that something... I didnt think there were actual written rules on spitting. Superb stuff..

6. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Holtby overrun's great pass, idiot commentator asks if Hodgson will rate Holtby's performance, not realizing he's cap tied to Germany.

7. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bale got mugged. No call?

8. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has Bale ever played a match in which he hasn't stopped play for an injury. Seriously? EVERY FRICKIN GAME, he spends time flailing about the ground. Grow a pair, Gareth.

9. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pleat wants to make sure we all know that Tottenham has a team dentist. A person who travels with the team and treats the players with great care.

10. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Bale goes 1 v 3, shot goes off for corner.

That's the 5th time this half

11. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like Bale picked up a busted lip.

12. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Earning a corner can be quite useful for his team. I'd take Bale in a heartbeat. Best player on this squad.

13. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lifeless game from Clint, I'm afraid.

neems repped this.
  14. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    In a vacuum, sure. When it comes at the expense of a better look at goal, no.

Not all of those shots were the best decision; just because he's the best player on the squad doesn't give him carte blanche to be a black hole with the ball.

And for the record, Clint was utterly anonymous today. Really not good to have 2 games in a row like this. I hope he shows up Wednesday.

15. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yup, not much from him today

16. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    he could have 100 if one goes in...

17. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unlike a certain Mr. Dempsey at Fulham FC? Best player there . . . took a LOT of shots.

It's not a perfect comparison, as FFC needed Clint to take those shots and Spurs may not need Bale to do so, but we all would benefit from taking off our red-white-and-blue tinted glasses- Clint has take a big step up the ladder. It's up to him to establish what role he will have there and he's probably going to have to displace players to do that. He's got to prove it on the field.

That said, I think he's having a very good and very productive year. Any objective Spurs fan should be very pleased with that acquisition, especially at the relatively low price.

Namdynamo, Deeneaus and freisland repped this.
  18. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spurs fans have been slobbing all over Holtby's knob since he set foot on the pitch last week. They've been calling basic lateral passes "brilliant touches", it's quite funny. Good player, but not a great one. Schalke won't miss a beat without him.

Pretty bland game from Deuce, but I'm just glad he avoided any knocks and will be ready to go for Honduras. Depending on the severity of Defoe's injury, Deuce's spot in the starting XI looks secure.

19. DCU1984

DCU1984 Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quiet game from Dempsey, wasn't bad just lacked impact. As the lone striker against a packed in defense he was mostly waiting for a chance that never came.

Overall Tottenham just wasn't very fluid. Holtby brought some energy and looked good on the ball. . .

They have enough good players to win but are not really a strong team.

20. nbarbour

nbarbour Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ??? I thought Holtby was pretty bad, to be honest. I think he had more mistakes in 45 minutes than Clint did in 90, and he didn't create anything either. You description is more apt for Holtby's first appearance.

21. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was hoping Clint would get subbed second half. I'm not sure how much he's going to have in his tank on Wednesday.

22. Deeneaus

Deeneaus Member+

Aug 29, 2007
    America/Deutschland
    Club:
    Arminia Bielefeld
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What game were you watching????

Holtby was good.

23. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's only because we have younger players to replace him. He may yet be a great player; he's still young. He also may be a better pure #10 than Dempsey. That's really why I was more worried for Dempsey (as a USMNT fan) than Schalke when this move happened.

Neither player was spectacular, but Holtby created more offense. He had some long balls out of the back that created scoring opportunities. He also had the assist (or the second assist?) on the goal. I think Dempsey's just in a rut right now, but who knows.

24. icebreaker

icebreaker Member+

Mar 22, 2011
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Most people were pretty positve about Holtby's performance. And he actually tried to pass to set up Dempsey and Bale for shots, even if not everything came off. Honestly, the need in this thread to talk down all the other Spurs players (Bale is amazing, there is a reason Real Madrid are interested in him) is quite amazing.

And Schalke lost at home to Greuther Fürth this weekend...

25. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    I'm not trying to be biased. Clint's job is to assert himself on the game and he hasn't done that the past 2 outings.

Deeneaus repped this.