Dempsey, Friedel: Tottenham v Wigan 11-3 [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by FirstStar, Nov 3, 2012.

1. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Whoever said Yanks don't do irony was clearly wrong.

2. exref

exref Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any explanations as to why Friedel is back to being #1 for the Spurs?
    I think AVB has some serious flaws which will interfere w/ him becoming a successful coach unless he looks inward and makes some corrections. It's my theory that he sat Friedel to intentionally break his record. I think AVB was jealous of the attention it got.

3. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    yeah, true. captain obvious just arrived at my doorstep as well. But lets take it a bit further, if the press and fans get on the team, it creates a climate not helpful to winning. It creates a story line that never dies and follows each player and manager in each match.

And AVB can win, but if he doesnt win UCL place, then the poop approaches a rotary device.

As that old dude said in the gladiator, "you're good spaniard, but not that good. You win the crowd you win the champions league qualification." At least, I think that is what he meant.

4. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Was he speaking Portuguese?

5. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Very curious about that as well. Lloris had the EL match and then got the AV Premier League match and then Friedel started the next 3 PL matches. Just seemed so crazy

6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    That's key. Fans of clubs that consider themselves "big" don't like it when there is a rumor their club may sign an American. They were prejudiced against Deuce from the start. They're much more willing to give Siggy much more time to adapt because he's European.

L'pool fans also didn't want him. That may have been one of the reasons they didn't sign him, even though the management did want him.

7. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    Rubbish, most Spurs fans were fairly pleased to sign him. He wasn't a marquee signing and they weren't expecting him to be their next star, but they did expect he could contribute to the team. Sigurdsson was actually given far less time than Dempsey before he started getting flak(Sigurdsson was already in the fans bad graces before Dempsey had got his first start), this I guess was because Dempsey had been out of proper training. And Sigurdsson has continued to get the same amount flak, which is about right as they've both been roughly equally ineffective as each other.

Spurs fans had no problem with Friedel when he arrived, because he performed. At club-level, nationality doesn't enter into it for 99.9% of fans, it's all about the club.