Dempsey, Friedel: Tottenham v Wigan 11-3 [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by FirstStar, Nov 3, 2012.

1. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Maybe I'm out of touch, but does anyone of AVB's experience and, one would assume, quiet arrogance, really check in with the Terraces when putting together a line-up? I just can't really imagine a single coach I've followed closely who would give a rat's tail what the fans thought unless he was at risk of getting run out of town. I always find this idea of a "fan favorite" bat guano insane, but maybe someone more on the inside of top pro coaches thinking can shed more light.

Martin Fischer repped this.
  2. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    of course you are correct

3. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    spurs fans hate dempsey.

they booed because they wanted defoe left on and dempsey off.

embarrassing.

4. FormerGermanGuy

Mar 1, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This move is becoming a slow-motion train wreck. He'd better click with someone soon.

5. jakepc42

jakepc42 Member+

Mar 26, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which proves they're irrational idiots as its been like 5 games.

6. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How so? Duece is scoring and Spurs are doing well, right?

7. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no. they know good football. and dempsey has played crap football so far.

they are not impressed. he has been poor.

8. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    umm no. he is not doing well. he loses the ball far too often and he passes backwards constantly.

spurs fans never wanted him.

9. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're the expert.

10. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes I am. My friend at white hart lane said they were chanting dempsey is shit when the subbed defoe off.

they really are not impressed at all.

11. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    I haven't had much contact with the typical Spuds fan until this weekend and 'Dempsey's $hit' was heard often whenever he touched the ball. As I said, I think he is going to be the rod that gets touched every time the spuds do badly. They can't blame Defoe because he is a vet and plays for england, they cant blame lennon because he's so 'fast,' they cant blame bale because his runs look pretty, so during hte course of the game, when the ball lands at dempsey's feet surrounded by 3 defenders and he gets dispossessed, the groans are going to be heard.

This match was a managers special. Martinez beat AVB at home. He had no solution to the high pressure on the wings. His only change was to switch Lennon and Bale. A better idea would have been to make one of them play deep centrally and move Sigi out left. There was room for a cross, but no room to dribble. bale or lennon storming down the pitch centrally with Dempsey to play off of was what I would have done.

12. jakepc42

jakepc42 Member+

Mar 26, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Defoe is horrible for the team... if you can't see that, i know which category to put you in.

13. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone who says Dempsey is "shit" or "poor" is not reputable...

14. jakepc42

jakepc42 Member+

Mar 26, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But...But... if the Spurs fan say so.... You know how the fans always know whats best. Like firing Mike Brown after 3 games... Hah

15. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The entire team was poor, but it's natural that the Yank is going to get scapegoated.
    To be honest, he hasn't done much to help his case. I'd describe his play this season as mediocre. He's had some good play, but not enough.
    The situation is only going to get more caustic because with all the key injuries they're going to start falling down the table.

16. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dempsey's turnover per match rate is .7 while Defoe's is 1.4, Bale's is 1.8, & Lennon's is 1.2...
    Losing the ball is not a problem compared to others..

He also has the highest tendency of getting fouled of any Tottenham player by far with a 2.1 average per game so without him, you'd have to say Tottenham would get a lot less chances on set pieces.

18. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AVB clearly approves of the job Deuce is doing. Unless everything goes to crap and AVB gets fired again, Deuce is doing fine.

19. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EPL fans in England are a funny bunch. They have less patience than any group of fans I've ever seen. Clint still hasn't been there two months, their key mids in Parker, Dembele are out, and now Sandro is out too, Ade still hasn't made more than a couple sub appearances, Bale was out for his sons birth, Defoe is scoring but playing like crap within the flow of the game, yet because Clint is the new guy they want to chant negatively about him when he's on the ball as if he's the one to blame.

Clint has had some poor games, but he's had some good games too. A question asked earlier this summer was how many point would Clint add to a top 4 team. Well, even with how poor some think he's played, he has game winners in two games, and got Spurs 4 points so far they wouldn't otherwise have.

I just find it somewhat humorous the way fans of top 4-6 clubs don't really analyze that much, and instead just say this guy or that guy isn't _____ quality, replace him. We don't get that in American sports. We analyze how to use players better, what they can do better, where they fit and how to make it work. This is like Lakers fans, after an 0-8 preseason and 0-3 start, booing Nash or Howard when they get the ball. Or Broncos fans booing Peyton Manning after Denver started off losing.

Do these idiots not understand it takes time? That all these injuries have an effect? The whole, replace him, he sucks, he's not quality enough shtick is just ridiculous. Is see it with other players on Spurs boards too. After Freidel had a not so good game against Chelsea, it's, why are we even playing this guy, he's done? It's just such ridiculous extremes from one game to another.

20. Mglnbea

Mglnbea Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Northern California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not all of us have received the memo:

European fans are "knowledgeable" and "cognizant".

US fans are "neophytes" and "abecedarian".

Sheesh! :rolleyes:

21. FormerGermanGuy

Mar 1, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't dispute that he's scored some goals, and Spurs are about as high as they could expect to be with their injuries. But if the fans hate you this early in your stay, you're going to get run out of town unless you turn it around somehow. Even with my homer glasses on, he doesn't look good out there. He needs to start bagging a bunch more goals than he is. When they start sliding down the table, it's only going to get worse.

neems repped this.
  22. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know what the answer is for the players named above, but turnovers need to be put in context of where they occur and under what circumstances. For instance, any amount of turnovers in your own third is too many. Turnovers in the opponents third where trying to make something happen when attacking is a different circumstance. It is difficult to make things happen in your opponents third if you don't take risks. A turnover from a square pass in your own third or middle third is really bad news. So, it could be that CD is much better with the ball than the others, or it could be that while his turnovers are fewer, they have been particularly egregious. Or, it could be that he is just playing more conservative than the others.

Clint is pretty good at drawing fouls which can be very helpful.

23. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I honestly don't understand (at all) why you guys get your panties in a bunch about what the Spurs fans say. Who cares? Look at the psychotic things that have been repeated on BigSoccer over and over like a mantra. Bradley is a joke of a coach. Klinsmann does not understand tactics as well as BS posters. Reyna only passes sideways. McBride could only be useful to the USA as a defender. Again, who the fook cares what these fans post?

HartwickFan and Martin Fischer repped this.
  24. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Dempsey placed himself in a spot where perception matters. If the press turns against him as well as the fans, life gets complicated.

25. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    his boss gets paid to win. He gets fired if they lose. That is the only perception that matters to AVB.