Dempsey, Friedel: Tottenham v Wigan 11-3 [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by FirstStar, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Bite o' the Cherry

Charlotte FC
    United States
    May 3, 2006
    Charlotte, NC, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clint couldn't handle a pass from Defoe and the crowd groaned; that pass had a lot of mustard on it, though. Clint had a lovely exchange on the left side just before halftime, crowd appreciated that.

Big Brad: The Nightmare of Young Hugo...

2. Nastrabrahmus

Nastrabrahmus Member+

Mar 29, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Dempsey had 25 touches in the half but was mostly anonymous. Had that good link up play with Vert at the end of the half down the left side, though.

3. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did I hear correctly that Dembele may be out until Christmas?
    That's very bad news for this team.

4. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW, I will use this moment to tear into Defoe. He recieved the ball on the outside of the 18 yard box. Dempsey came to the edge and opened his body. Defoe brick footed a pass that was extremely fast and out of control. Dempsey could not keep it under control and lost possession.

There is no excuse for Defoe to be doing that. If there is any way for me to summarize the chemistry between Dempsey and Defoe, that is it. Defoe is a limited player and needs to be replaced with a forward who has broader set of abilities.

The other possibility is to remove Dempsey and pair Defoe with a better player who will compensate him. Last I checked, Van der Vaart and Modric left.

5. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    subbing out an injured player is considered good tactics when I coach my AYSO team!

6. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    First, let's give props to wigan tactics. They have nullified the counter. They arent giving bale or lennon room to run into. I remember Fulham did this to Lennon with great effect. THey would mark him very high up the pitch so he couldnt turn and run at the defense. The Spuds dont have the possession to move forward as an offense which leaves...Verto and Walker with a ton of space to run into. Verto is pressing, which is nice to see, however, it would be nice to see either an earlier pass or better touch on his dribble.

When Sandro left, Wigan took control of the middle of the pitch. Those two chances were through the middle.

7. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They need to scrape something off a set play.

8. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Fun facts from the BBC pre-match

Only Robin van Persie (55) and Wayne Rooney (40) have scored more Premier League goals since the start of the 2010-11 season than Clint Dempsey (31). The American has scored six league goals against Wigan - more than against any other side.

9. fusion101

fusion101 Member

Jan 11, 2002
    It looked like Sandro pulled a muscle. Tottenham needs to slow the tempo down a bit. Not their style, but when simple passes aren't being made they need wear down Wigan.

10. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    wigan and bolton have always been clint's whipping boys. he gets no service in dangerous areas. This team hates itself.

11. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    CLint gets hit with shoulder on a 50/50 ball in box. He is angry. Not good for Wigan.

12. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Ade is warming up. Personally, I would take Defoe out, he has been invisible. HOnestly, I can't believe this match is at WHL, the Spuds have no reason playing this slow and bored at home.

13. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    depends on the replacement. I have had players that were so bad they hurt us vs being down 1 :D

Defoe and Lennon absent this half. Gimme some Ade please.

freisland repped this.
  14. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Demps will win this cleaning up another Defoe shot. It will be the consistent story of Spurs season.

15. Nastrabrahmus

Nastrabrahmus Member+

Mar 29, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Hopefully AVP doesn't sub demps for Ade

16. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wigan scores 1-0

17. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    weak punch followed by another early Gallas checkout.

18. Nastrabrahmus

Nastrabrahmus Member+

Mar 29, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Real classy from Spurs fans. Wow.

19. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    defeoe OUT...fans SCREAM!!! lmao

20. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    Booing that switch? Defoe has been totally nonexistant. Stupid fans.

21. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    I like the commentator. He's been saying Dempsey should be subbed off for Adebayor for the past 5 minutes.

Now when it's Defoe who is subbed, he admits that Dempsey has been better than him. And it's true.

22. DempC

DempC Member

Jul 31, 2007
    Dempsey seems to have the confidence of the manager.

23. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Well to be fair, the commentators were saying that they expected Dempsey to be subbed off.

And after the sub, they said Dempsey's been the livelier of the two, but because of Defoe's goalscoring record so far this season, they expected him to pair up with Adebayor.

24. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Tottenham have really found another gear since the Adebayor switch.

Edit: although as I say that, they're starting to struggle again.

25. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Ok, now Demps will win this setting up Abe and hitting a "chip/shot" to the back post that will nick in off the woodwork. At 89 mins, btw.