Dempsey, Friedel: Spurs vs. Panathinaikos, EL 12/6/12 [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by YankatOxford, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Let's be very clear for those not watching: Ade is making everyone else on the team better. Clint's passing and runs are there specifically because Ade is doing some dirty work all over the midfield, checking back, making cross field runs, holding up the ball on the sideline. I am not saying Clint has not been good, but it would all be for not if Ade were not also playing very selflessly.

stonejh127 repped this.
  2. nbarbour

nbarbour Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or if Bale is playing inverted on the right. That's how I play it on FIFA. :D

Fanatical Monk repped this.
  3. exref

exref Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shamiwich, I don't think it's all down to Ade. I DO think Clint on the left is giving him more space like the poster mentioned. Ade is having a good game and moving well, as is Clint. I think the 2 combine nicely, better than Defoe & Clint.

4. MadRHatter

MadRHatter Member

May 6, 2012
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love watching adebayor he's so casual

5. DCU1984

DCU1984 Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the first 25 minutes every time Dempsey found Ade in space he would force a cross to no one. He's picked it up since then but Dempsey has been the better player this half.

6. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Yo, exactly. Was my point. Clint could not be doing this kind of good work if he didn't have someone on the pitch willing to play smart, selfless, attacking football. It is the first time I have seen him combine well with any Spuds player (Carroll is a very smooth passer, I have been impressed with him since his first match this year.)

Bees Knees and stonejh127 repped this.
  7. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    Clint actually looked like he was happy and having some fun with Adebayor there celebrating the goal...

Bees Knees and stonejh127 repped this.
  8. Dave216J

Dave216J Member

Aug 1, 2001
    DC
    As one of those not watching, thanks! This is the point I think often missed in the debates about whether Defoe is good for Spurs - he's good at his job, but in doing so, he doesn't really draw the best out of the rest of the team. Similar criticisms are often leveled at Bale. It's almost reminiscent of when a youth star moves up to the big time, and can't rely on physical gifts that always served. Bale is pretty excellent, even with his limitations - but I remain convinced that a Spurs team with Dempsey on one wing and Bale/Lennon on the other, rather than both wingers in and Dempsey pushed forward, will get better results.

yankthisyank'swank repped this.
  9. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    yeah, great point. The way I see it, all things being equal (stacking players back, playing 3 in defensive midfield, playing the counter) Bale and Defoe as a super sub can nick a game from anyone, without those two, they don't have that elite athleticism/moment of brilliance to beat the best teams in the world.

Dempsey's best matches have come against WestHam, Saints and Fulham, all teams equal to his athleticism, but once the teams like Mancity or Chelsea show up, he has no margin for error and generally cannot have the impact, but that's true of most everyone.

10. Bees Knees

Bees Knees Member

Nov 10, 2005
    Aruba
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True! I think those guys are going to be able to link up and be very dangerous together in the future. Ade's mobility and willingness to play combos with his teammates makes him much more valuable to the team than Defoe in my opinion.

11. MadRHatter

MadRHatter Member

May 6, 2012
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dempsey almost with another assist - Defoe off the post.

12. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Dempsey nearly had a second assist there, but Defoe hits the post.

13. alocksley

alocksley Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    It is very difficult to criticize players like Bale and Defoe about not sharing the ball, shooting from bad angles, etc when they are both on scoring tears. Ultimately, they will slump, and that is when the powers that be need to step in and correct this propensity.

14. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Dempsey just misses his second assist! Pass from same place for Ade goal, Defoe takes neat touch to his left and rockets it off the post, beats keeper.

15. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Greek team have been mostly defensive, absorbing attack, allowing Spuds to pass around, but slowly coming out of their shell now. Taking more of the ball.

16. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Early cross into the box, LB criminally bad marking/defending. great finish. 1-1. And that, unfortunately is how everyone beats AVB.

17. Dave216J

Dave216J Member

Aug 1, 2001
    DC
    More broadly, I think Spurs' main chance against a Man City or Chelsea is to try to spring some counters at full speed, and the approach should be more of a flying-wingers-shoot-on-sight model. I think Dempsey is value-added to Spurs in trying to achieve consistency and control against other teams in mid-table that they need to beat to secure one of the the Champions League places.

18. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just scanned the Guardian's minute-by-minute.
    Judging by that alone, it seemed like Dempsey was running things, like a bawss.

Whoops... Pana apparently equalizes...

19. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    For all you smart people early on saying RB/LB play is killing the Spuds...you were right. Walker and whomever plays LB consistently get beat. The CB's are doing good work.

20. Dave216J

Dave216J Member

Aug 1, 2001
    DC
    I find it quite easy, actually - though maybe it's from years of experience of supporting NBA teams with ball hogs who could score but not win...

deuteronomy, Bees Knees and Sam Hamwich repped this.
  21. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fabian might look good there. Especially if Bale leaves with his ability to get forward.

22. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    excellent point, but FJ gives up too many crosses as well. I'd take him as LM if Bale leaves though and the regular LB gets back.

23. INKRO

INKRO Member+

Jul 28, 2011
    Oomph, Spurs turning sloppy now after the goal, Dempsey included.

24. exref

exref Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a waste of a free kick from our own half.
    Phew, lucky to escape that muddle in the box just now.

25. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Excellent early cross again from LM for the greeks. CB's hold tight, but LB for Spuds clears into his own CB's ball falls to greek strikers who scuffs it just wide.