Dempsey, Friedel: Manchester City vs. Tottenham, 11/11

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by Scotty, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Nastrabrahmus

Nastrabrahmus Member+

Mar 29, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Can we stop putting lipstick on a pig please? Dempsey doesn't look good at all... As usual. He looks plain old bad.

bmo180 and Dynasty1558 repped this.
  2. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Oddly enough, however, he seems to look good enough in the eyes of the guy currently coaching a top ten, with some small chance of going top 3, EPL team. How long it lasts, no one can know, but as long as AVB thinks an oinking Dempsey looks good wearing Striker Scarlett, what the heck.

Bees Knees repped this.
  3. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Member+

Jun 23, 2002
    I saw the same thing. Dempsey had an ok first half, even if he really wasn't able to get into the game much. Bale, on the other hand, has lost the ball all over the place. But you would never know it judging from the Defoe fanboy lunkheads over at the official Tottenham FC forums: http://www.tottenhamhotspurs.tv/mat...-manchester-city-november-11th-2012-a-14.html

4. goeast12

goeast12 Member

Nov 14, 2005
    L.A.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dempsey's teammates don't pass to him when he's in scoring position. A spurs player had a great run with the ball to the left of the goal, and Dempsey ran up the middle and beat his man, but instead of passing to him, his teammate shot what amounted to nothing more than an o.k. chance. It's been like that since the beginning of the season and things have deteriorated since. It's a decent game, and I always want Citeh to lose, so I'm not that upset that I woke up at 5:30am to watch this, but give our boy a chance.

5. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this post from 2006?

6. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spurs should seriously consider relocating permenantly to Manchester - they seem to play pretty well when they go there...

7. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    It's not lipstick. I'm afraid if they guy isn't dribbling all over the place, taking shots, and scoring goals some of you see it as useless. Thats fine, thats your opinion. It's not right, but you're entitled to have and keep it.

By those same standards, Bale has had a bad half, yet his wide contributions and good defense get him a passing grade in my book.

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  8. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Clint seems to be responsible for marking Toure right now. Doubt Defoe would be able to do that.

I think we might all have to adjust our offensive expectations of him. AVB seems to be using him a bit more nuanced than we're used to at Fulham.

9. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    I'd never go to a mainstream site expecting to get knowledgeable fans. I used to be a huge American football fan. It always amazed me how little game knowledge most "huge" fans had.

10. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brad Freidel can squeeze a pine cone and get apple juice.

11. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    You're 100% right. Defoe is being saved to come in against tired legs. He'd never be able to compete physically for 75 or 90 against a team as big and physical as City. However, his speed in place of Dempsey or Ade is going to be the best use of him.

12. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maicon plays for ManCity????? huh

13. Golazo

Golazo Member+

Apr 15, 1999
    Decatur, GA USA
    A fossilized one at that.

14. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    Pretty sure Mancini just went to the 352 that hasn't worked for them. They've got no width.

15. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Yep. It's setting up very nicely to bring Defoe in around 70 or so to catch City on the counter.

16. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Damn, that was a smooth finish by Aguero. Really nice.

17. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    Good god Walker. Thats falking horrible.

18. Jgco

Jgco Member

Jul 14, 2011
    Eh? Huddlestone ignored the ball and cleaned out Zabaleta. Clear a penalty as you will see.

19. Golazo

Golazo Member+

Apr 15, 1999
    Decatur, GA USA
    Spurs defender seems to think that Agüero is best shut down by turning one's back to him

20. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Calling Dempsey poor I think is a little unfair. He's just kind of there. Nothing either positive or negative from my view.

Spurs do have to figure out a thing or 2 with the backline.

21. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Clint fits in perfectly at Tottenham...

in that it is full of selfish players like him.

Ridiculous decision to shoot from Bale with two players in the box there. Sick of him, Defoe and Dempsey making poor decisions time in time out.

22. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    Made easier by the beautiful assist from Walker.

23. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It really could not have been better.

24. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    That was a horrible shot and decision from Bale. He's got to do better there. Really it's the first selfish decision I've seen today. Neither he nor Lennon are getting much service into the middle where they have two proven targets. Spurs are not an easy team to watch. They look a lot like Chelsea of last year if you remember how they'd take the air out of it, or try to anyway.

25. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    Seriously. It was inch perfect off not one, but two touches not really under pressure. He and Gallas are going to cost these guys a lot of points this year.