Dempsey and Howard start: Everton vs. Tottenham: 12/9

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by oscar_in_fw, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Gee, if that is true, why do they always bother to play it?

2. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not just towards the end. Seamus Coleman had a field day against Clint. Makes me wonder about playing him out left for the Nats. He got back a few times against Seamus, but in general, since he likes to stray central, Coleman took advantage on the instances where Clint was supposed to be covering him and tracking back.

Speedy fullbacks will take advantage if Clint is played at LM, giving Fabian Johnson and our defense more to do.

deuteronomy repped this.
  3. Bookmesir

Bookmesir Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    FC Aarau
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not enough that Dempsey gets a goal,and Everton/ Howard get the win.isnt that a win-win for us as far as Yanks Abroad are concerned (and their clubs are level on points)?

Sports Fan Stan repped this.
  4. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope, lol.

I wanted Spurs to win and march on towards finishing 3rd in the table, then when things get a bit rocky for Everton, Landon comes in and ignites them to finish 4th, right behind Spurs, and both Landon and Clint are playing in the UCL next year.

But in all honesty, I jsut want both playing well, and while Clint is getting better and better with Spurs, Timmy has not looked good this year. Couldn't do anything on Clint's goal but he needs to pick it up or I'll also join the group wanting Guz to get a shot, a fair shot, and consecutive starts for our NT, not just a random friendly appearance.

Bookmesir repped this.
  5. Bookmesir

Bookmesir Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    FC Aarau
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hear you.
    But in retrospect, had Brendan Rodgers been able to get Dempsey as he has since expressed was close to happening, I think Clint would have been a much happier (and productive) camper. And those red jerseys would have been flying off the shelves.
    Its a much different set of expectations to be predicted to vie for a CL spot than to be expected to finish middle of the pack. At Fulham, the expectations for Demspey and club were what they were, and the bigger achievements/upsets were magnified because of it. However, a 23 goal season doesn't just happen, and Clint has been lambasted by Spurs fans who perceive his work rate as less than stellar, his skill set as less than sublime, and his attitude as aloof.
    He has been producing the past couple of weeks at 2011-12's pace, but he is still called out for standing on the edge of the box when Everton equalized. I suppose, at that point of the match, all Spurs should have been working on was earning the three points.
    Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.
    And just for the non-sequitor we've all been waiting for, not, what would it take to get David Moyes to coach the USMNT?

6. INKRO

INKRO Member+

Jul 28, 2011
    I'm still waiting for Gertjan Verbeek myself. ;)

7. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    He might be available soon...

8. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Spurs fans were lambasting Dempsey, that was just a product of this thread.

9. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    No, it was pretty bad at one point, from what I could tell scouring various Tottenham forums.

There was even an American Spurs fan who posts in these forums who argued that Dempsey could end up to be the worst player to wear a Tottenham jersey in 20 years.

10. Trav-Man

Trav-Man Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I gathered, more of the blame was going to AVB than Dempsey. Regardless, and after reading many of their knee jerk reactions, I really couldn't care less what Spurs fans think about Dempsey. Bottom line is he's been involved in 4 of their 7 goals in the last 3 games and is rounding in to form. Not bad for "the worst player to wear a Tottenham jersey in 20 years."

11. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia