Dempsey and Howard start: Everton vs. Tottenham: 12/9

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by oscar_in_fw, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^ The case that AVB should have subbed an obviously tired Dempsey could be made, though.

2. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was the entire team that fell asleep. You defend as a team.

3. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dempsey was walking around the edge of the box watching his mark cross a ball into the area. That is more than falling asleep. That's not even a attempt to defend as a team.

Berks repped this.
  4. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    There's nothing wrong with Dempsey's attitude. He just doesn't have the stamina. He should've been moved centrally or subbed out.

wixson7 and Sports Fan Stan repped this.
  5. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    If the tactical game plan, knowing that Clint tends to pinch in and doesn't have blazing pace, was to have the fullback pick up the flank in the final third while Clint picked up someone more central, how is that goal on him now?

Bees Knees repped this.
  6. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I'm with Sam Ham for this minute. AVB needed to find some way to kill this off. I don't enough about AVB's bench but he had a sub in his pocket. Shoulda put in Cobi Jones.

Editor In Chimp repped this.
  7. Slim Pickins

Slim Pickins Member

Jun 24, 2000
    Portland, Oregon
    Spurs used all three subs.

8. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    At heart.

Naughton, DiMatteo, ManCini, Wenger, Moyes, Martinez, and Clark, all managers who have come from behind to beat or tie AvB. All battle tested coaches in the English game. At some point, man, wake the hell up and close the door.

9. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    I feel like that won't happen once they fix the CBs

10. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    It has less to do with CBs and more to do with RB/LB combos. Verto should be CB instead of GoGoneGallas.

11. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Ah - I missed Falque somehow. He should have still brought in Cobi Jones!

12. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    That was the sub that made my football ignorant yank self say WTH? I thought sure he is going to sit CD now, there was nobody else on the pitch that I could see that looked as ragged. The adrenaline from the goal left him spent totally.

13. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I think it's been pretty clear that AVB is pretty high on Demps - perhaps to the point of poor decision making.

14. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Ok, just watched a replay of Everton's equalizer....in no universe is that on Clint.

15. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Based on his play - no mistakes, covered up well, etc.

Eurosport gave him a "7". Whoscored has him at "6.5". Sky, for some reasons, has stopped listing its grades. Sun has him with "6". (but they list Dempsey at "6" also)

16. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Member+

Jun 23, 2002
    FWIW, here are highlights of the match's three goals.

Who (if anyone) was assigned to mark Coleman in that situation (Everton's equalizer) -- Dempsey or Vert? No way for any of us to know unless AVB tells us. In any case, Dempsey should have been pulled after he scored Tottenham's goal -- it was clear he had nothing left in the tank.

17. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    The common assumption is that Vertongen takes on the opposite winger Naismith while the fullback is own winger/midfielder's responsibility.

FWIW, while Everton is generally a left-sided team on the attack, they did try to run behind Dempsey in the first half with Mirallas dribbling Vertongen wide and Coleman sliding into the available space behind Deuce.

IIRC, on one of these attacks, Defoe had to make a long run back to prevent a potentially dangerous situation.

18. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    That is why I give him a pass, he already gave all he had to give.

I am glad AVB rates him so high, but he is still a mortal, not like he is chuck Norris or anything. It appears from some of the other posts that this is a common AVB thing. Too bad for AVB cause I like how he rates our boy.

19. oscar_in_fw

oscar_in_fw Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dempsey expends a lot of energy in possession, jockeying for position, and setting himself up for runs/getting into open space. Playing on the wings without a great deal of pace in his game also has to wear on him because of defensive responsibilities covering his speedy counterparts (Defoe actually trying to cover for Dempsey's attacking forays gone awry with Everton counterattack was heartwarming). Expecting him to play hard 90 minutes twice a week is a bit much so I expect him to tire late in games. The injury issues and/or AvB's lack of trust in his bench has at least given Dempsey plenty of playing time to find his form but even Dempsey will wear out as the season progresses.

I never really thought about Dempsey's defensive responsibilities as a winger at Fulham. Maybe it's the perception of higher expectations at Tottenham which makes me wonder if he is a defensive liability on the wings; particularly when he is pinching in centrally and playing just behind Defoe and Adebayor. Lately, I've noticed Bale doing the same thing; part of AvB's tactics or players "winging it" ? Bale does have the pace and motor to get away with it.

20. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The loss today rests squarely upon the shoulders of Andres Villas-Boas. Good coaches never lose in extra time. If Tottenham holds onto the lead and wins at Everton, it would have been a huge feather in his cap, instead the game tying and winning goals are delivered in extra time. Character time and it goes directly to the coach. Look at the Manchester United and Man City match today. Same thing, although not as pronounced. It goes without saying, huge props to David Moyes.

21. DCU1984

DCU1984 Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meh. . . sometimes a fullback get open for crosses. Tottenham had plenty of people back. Obviously someone wasn't marking the guy who headed it into the goal well enough either. . .

22. Plainsburner

Plainsburner Member

Jun 23, 2011
    Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only a 4 point gap between 4th and 12th, wide open thanks to this result.

23. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bravo to the Blues! Never say die. They were massively the better team and deserved the win. I'm hoping to see them in CL. Moyes is a great coach and the spirit on that team is delightful. Love me some Toffees.

Berks repped this.
  24. Bookmesir

Bookmesir Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    FC Aarau
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brad would've had the first one.
    Maybe.:geek:

25. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    Tottenham didn't deserve the 3pts, but that doesn't defend them losing it so poorly. Dempsey was gassed bad, and needed subbed. It didn't happen. I saw some complacency out of Spurs after the goal, and I'm not surprised it came back to get them. Lloris had some great plays yesterday, but he should have had a hand on that 1st goal, 2nd goal was a great play you have to tip your hat to. Spurs need to figure out how to put these away. If they miss out on top 4, they'll have nobody to look at but the mirror. It's there for the taking.

I think only 4th is up for grabs. Rafa will have Chelsea tough to beat and scoring just enough very soon, if not already. That means Everton, Tottenham, Arsenal, and possibly WBA and even possibly another dark horse (Norwich? Liverpool? are they out of the question?) will be fighting it out of that spot. All else equal, I'd give Everton the nod right now, and especially if they strengthen with a certain YA in January.

Should be fun to watch as a semi-neutral. I do like Everton some, and have a huge mancrush on Moyes.

StillKickin, Sports Fan Stan and Berks repped this.