Democratic Failure Thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by MasterShake29, Mar 27, 2011.

Tags:
  1. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Got dumped, I hope.

2. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/rubycramer/democrats-give-excuses-for-not-joining-anti-drone-filibuster

It's only brown people, I can see why it's not a big deal.

Dyvel repped this.
  3. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Purely barking at the moon. To me, this is the key passage:

Unlike we libertarianish people, you people actually hold and have been holding significant political power in the US over the past 50 years.

I went on this rant before, but I'm sick of people sitting in coffee shops waiving their copy of Atlas Shrugged in our faces and smugly telling us what is wrong. You haven't done dick over the last 50 years to get anyone elected dog catcher. The Greens are newer and more successful. You talk about the need for a third party all the time, and don't do the hard work of organizing, running and winning elections. When you do decide to run, you punt your principles and run as republicans and when the republicans ******** things up you simply say, "I'm not really a republican, I just had to run this way." Ron Paul, Rand Paul, Gary Johnson and all the rest. You have created a brand. You could win a congressional or senate election as a Libertarian. Do it. The rest of you are every bit as annoying as the arrogant little communists with their John Lennon glasses hanging out in coffee shops around University of Chicago. Quit your bitching and run for office. You champion the language of the Constitution. Well, use it then and run for the offices that are established in that Constitution. The rest of us get lectured incessantly about "personal responsibility" and that if we don't like our situation then change it. Well, libertarians, stop writing and start knocking on doors and get someone . . . ANYONE . . . elected to something and start taking responsibility for the government that you think sucks so bad.

ToMhIlL, ElasticNorseman and AfrcnHrbMan repped this.
  4. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not following completely here. So that guy that shut down the Senate on Wednesday. He doesn't count because he had to join one of the two preordained teams in order to win office?

Tell you what, make it a fair fight and I guarantee that Libertarians will win seats. Your refusal to acknowledge that the game is fixed make your rant appear silly. I'm guessing that you have never been a part of a ballot access campaign. It is a ponderous exercise designed to subvert democracy by stripping a campaign of time and resources that could be better used spreading their message. But yet, two parties are exempt. Funny, that.

roadkit, Timon19 and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  5. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's some merit to this for sure, but, thanks to the Democratic (this being their thread) and the Republican parties, running for office as a minor party candidate is really difficult. It's like a 100m dash where you give two people a 30m head start. Sure, if you have the equivalent of Usain Bolt, it's possible, but there aren't many of him around.

You would support reforms like changes to the first past the post system to some kind of instant runoff vote, and the removal of welfare for the big two?

6. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    No he doesn't. Not as a Libertarian. He's a Republican and as a Republican he needs to take responsibility for Republican failures just like the author says that all democrats need to take responsibility for corporatism.

To complain about a fair fight, you actually need to be in a fight. Libertarians don't even try. The game is only fixed by money. The ********ing Koch Brothers are professed libertarians. So stop dicking around with the party that has caused just as many problems as the democrats and are just as responsible for "fixing" the game as the democrats and do something. Your bullshit whining about it being too hard rings hallow when an independent like Ross Perot snuck up and won a bigger chunk of the electorate that the libertarians have won in their entire existence. Is the game fixed at City Hall? Is it fixed in the state legislatures across the country? Is it fixed at the county level of government? Of course not. Go bang on doors and get people elected. And when you get enough elected at the local level, go for some state wide offices. How about state treasurer? That should be right in the Libertarian wheel house, no?

Just what if? What if they would have taken my advice 40 years ago. Stop pontificating and start doing the hard work required to build a party. Fund raise. Run at the local level. Run at the state level. Instead, you sit back telling us how we have ********ed everything up and that Whaaa Whaaa Whaaa the game is too unfair. We can't get anyone elected president or even US Senator because the others aren't playing fair. I'm sick of the bitching. The party your guys most closely align themselves with is close to being in disarray. There is opportunity everywhere, and I'm pretty sure you have some people who can bank roll a movement as well. If Rand Paul really had a sack, he would drop the R and pick up an L and he would run that way when he is up for reelection and he would run that way if he wants to run for President.

I thought Libertarians and libertarians were all about principle? Then why do they hold office in a party that does not support their ideals? It's all nonsense.

Unlike we libertarianish people, you people actually hold and have been holding significant political power in the US over the past 50 years.

Yep. You libertarianish people just sit back from the comfort of zero accountability and bitch about everything that is wrong. Sorry Matt, but its the truth. My neighbor is a republican. He didn't like what was going on at the school board and so he ran and won. In my neighborhood, a man or woman with an "L" next to their name would have had a decent shot as well. More of a shot here than a "D". But it just never happens. Every libertarian I know talks responsibility but doesn't want responsibility. They are comfortable in a perpetual state of complaint.

7. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Thank you for at least acknowledging my point. This is a reasonable post. I agree that there is a built in advantage and that advantage is more acute the higher you climb the political totem pole. But it is not impenetrable. If Perot didn't wig out and go in and out of that race, he honestly had a shot. I voted for him. ;)

But I find it incomprehensible for libertarians to say that we can't elect anyone. There are places in this country that are more than ripe for your philosophies. Hell, look at y-lee coyote. He claims that his state is much like him and he is far from Republican. Look at Jesse Jr.'s seat. A couple of establishment democrats got trounced because a sugar daddy invested a couple of mil in the race based on the gun issue alone. How much did the Koch brothers dump into the election for unsuccessful republicans? Republicans that don't really hold the same values across the board that they do. They are more you than Mitt Romney. What if they took half of that money and targeted some congressional races where a Libertarian could win?

You acknowledge that it is difficult which is sane. Matt makes it sound impossible which is an excuse. I'm saying all of this, not simply to bitch at libertarians. I actually like a moderate form of what they espouse and I think their voice . . . their ACTUAL voice in government could be a very good thing. I don't really like Rand, but I do think Gary Johnson in the US Senate would be a very good thing. I've talked about "loyal opposition" before, and we need that more than ever. People who have principles, fight for those principles, use that fight to moderate and influence legislation in a positive way and ultimately look to compromise to get some of what they want.

You don't get some of what you want from the coffee house, whether you are a communist or a libertarian.

8. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me I think the big problem is that Libertarianism, that is the LP version is a really shitty philosophy on the local level and gets far far better further up the foodchain. You can be anti federal funding of roads and have a reasonable argument. You can't anti road.

Know what I mean?

As for the Koch brothers it looks to me that they are far more successful with thier progress at rebranding the GOP in thei libertarian image than going 3rd party. I think their money is smart money and it is working quite well.

9. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Holy shit, you think this republican party is moving more towards a libertarian image? I'll see your vaginal probe and raise you an escalation in Syria.

Honestly, I think Libertarianism would work quite well at the local level where fiscal responsibility and creating a favorable environment for small business risk takers could thrive. I'm also advocating Koch money for congressional races. I'd rather have actual libertarians in those spots than the tea party wannabes. You want to be "further up the food chain" because it is easy. But you can't get there because the game is rigged. Convenient.

Where were the Koch brothers and their money during the republican primaries? I honestly don't know who they supported, but my guess was that they were not bankrolling Gary Johnson, or this party that you seem to think is being transformed would have actually allowed him on stage for debates.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republican_Party_presidential_debates,_2012

10. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Edited. This was verry twatty of me.

HerthaBerwyn repped this.
  11. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think the problem with libertarians is that they seem hate government as a principle. It's hard to convince people that you should be trusted in government if you are so hostile towards government.

Libertarians and those who feel that government is too big and bloated need to accept and recognize that not only government and the public sector are necessary but there is obviously a significant role for government in our democratic society and there are many things that government does well and many things in which we are better off trusting the public sector. Then they would become more credible. Then they could go on to make their argument by identifying the areas in which they feel government is inefficient and the areas where they believe its role should be reduced.

But thel extreme hostility towards government and the public sector in general that many libertarians seem to have is counterproductive. In my view it's no less ridiculous than the hostility some in the left -like for example the occupy crowd- have for businesses and the private sector. And I think it gets in the way of their ability to be become a more significant influence in the political process.

12. FormerGermanGuy

Mar 1, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Which is another answer to the earlier exchange on why the libs aren't getting anywhere as a party. Their views are just too hard to reconcile with wanting to be a public official. Which then answers the question as to why the Kochs and Norquists of the world are choosing to co-opt the Republicans rather than helping the LP.

13. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get coffee and I want that. :D

But seriously, libertarians are the right-wing equivalent of dogmatic marxists. While there are different flavors of both, they are extremely similar to each other in that each of them have a Theory that trumps objective reality. Each of the Theories is, from within anyway, very elegant and internally consistent to a point and each plays on the human desire for "fairness".

That noble desire get perverted, however, because each theory is completely one sided and its adherents are blinded by its appeal to their particular psychology and so any objective evidence against the Theory is completely discarded out of hand without being examined. Naturally, this lack of regard for let alone agreement with external reality means that the Theory will never work in real life.

And both Libs and Marxists have plenty of excuses for why their particular Theory fails to the extent that it is put into practice. Usually, the excuse is some riff on the attempt at putting the Theory into practice was not extreme or ideologically pure enough and if only the most extreme and pure version was enacted, everything would work exactly as predicted and nirvana would be achieved once and for all. The failures also make them extremely wary of any further attempts at practical implementation and so they are content sit on the sidelines and bitch at people who are actually trying to get something done in the real world.

GiuseppeSignori repped this.
  14. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That and the pay is completely dogshit.

15. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I'm not sure where you get the idea that there's extreme hostility to business and the private sector from the Left. But it's very nearly completely wrong.

I personally subscribe to the view that giant parasitic multi-national corporations are by far the biggest threat to the world. But that doesn't mean that I view all business, or even most business, or indeed even 99% of business in a negative way.

I'm not going to try and proselytize you on behalf of the Green Party; I've seen enough of your posts to know that we don't share priorities. But I do want to point out that your perception of the Left's view of business is 99% wrong.

16. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me ask this question then. Would our nation be better off with more libertarians and marxists pushing the boundries of the debate that the current two shades of vanila we have today? Isn't our fear of radicals impeding oru national conversation?

17. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    "Pushing the boundaries of debate?" Those two extremes aren't pushing anything. The debate takes place within government not in the classroom or coffee shop.

18. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That debate takes place in many other governments throughout the world. Which leads me to believe that the structure of our government is not suitable for anything but milquetoast discussion.

19. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    It takes place if you can get some people elected as MPs. If you don't have any representatives in the government, then no one will care what you have to say, just like America. While we don't have coalition governments, having a significant caucus in our system can be influential. But only if you have actual members. Hell, get just one senator (like Bernie Sanders) and you will get some sway over what goes on. I don't think libertarians WANT a seat at the table.

20. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is one that Senator. I don't understand why Rand Paul doesn't count. He has far more influence as a libertarian in the GOP than Sanders does as an independent. As long as we have a president selected by electoral college we will never have a truly influential third party. Is this really a controversial statement?

21. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I start having common ground with Glen Greenwald and Amy Goodman then something is up

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/mar/10/paul-filibuster-drones-progressives

y-lee-coyote and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  22. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glenn Greenwald has been on fire for quite a while now. If the Democrats were true liberals instead of left-leaning authoritarians, this is the type of stuff we'd hear regularly.

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  23. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spinning unrealistic Theory while almost completely ignoring objective reality is not "pushing the boundaries of debate" any more than spinning completely unrealistic and unresearched fiction about space aliens is "pushing the boundaries of science". Thankfully, marxists are completely marginalized and powerless in the US. I wish the libs were that way too but sadly a few billionaires recognize their potential as useful idiots and so pump millions into helping them make our problems worse by promoting crappy muddle headed Theory with no practical solutions to those problems.

That said, if you're bored with the center (ie., the Dems) and want radicals, there's already the GOP on the right and the Greens on the left who, unlike marxists or libs, are at least tenuously connected to reality, the Greens more so than the Reeps.

24. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So all it takes is to be a billionaire? That's not much of a hurdle at all!

It could very well help, sure. And I don't know why they have chosen not to do that. But they haven't.

Have you ever seen a voter ballot where the D and the R weren't the first two names on the list? I haven't. How many people even bother with columns 3 and beyond?

I don't know what Gary Johnson's chances would be in New Mexico as a Republican. I am pretty sure they would be zero as a Libertarian/independent.

For sure, which is why I think just as important as the message is removing the structural barriers to having Libertarians (and other minor parties) getting a voice. It's no panacea. It won't win the Libertarians anything. But as long as we keep the system we have in place, I can see why many think the effort isn't worth it.

Matt in the Hat repped this.
  25. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would you agree that the lower potential for success the more extreme the true believers tend to be. Isn't it possible that the converse is true. So say the LP had as much potential for power as the UKIP. Wouldn't it be safe to assume that a more rational tone would be struck? I tend to think so.

MasterShake29 repped this.