Del Piero and World Cup 2014 - WTF.

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Romanista_NYC, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Melito Irpino

Melito Irpino Member

Feb 17, 2007
    Corona, CA
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    How did that work out in 2010 with Gattuso, Camoranesi, Iaquinta, Gilardino, etc? It was a disaster! Only Pirlo performed well of the 2006 WC winners. That said, Totti would be interesting. Of the 2006 squad only Buffon, Pirlo, De Rossi and MAYBE Totti should even be considered.

2. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totti is still probably the best trequartista Italy has. But I'm not sure how much he'll have left in the tank come June. He looked tired towards the end of last season, and is going to turn 37 this month.

3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    In the end, there is no stopping father time. I think Totti would be good for 45 minutes but then it depends on whether he wants to be a super sub or a mop up player at his age. I don't think he will accept it.

4. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah Totti is definitely not a 90 minute NT player, 20-30 minutes max as a super sub but that's about it.

5. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    Totti isn't a "super sub" type of player. In the time it'll take for him to warm up and find his groove the game will likely be all but over. If you bring Totti you let him START the match, play until he's noticeably gassed, and then you pull him out.

6. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    At the NT level i find this to be a waste of a sub much like Cassano in the Euro's, he's a guaranteed sub in the second half. If you have someone like Pirlo or Verrati out of gas in a match then Totti would be a great replacement. How did he do last year as far as endurance? Did he last 90+ minutes during most matches?

7. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    He walked all over Australia in the 70th minute sub of the knock out match in 06. After he came on, they were screwed. I know he's not used to it, but why not be used as a late game sub when other players are fatigued and your own fitness level (age related or not) can be masked by that? Maybe Cassano till the 60th, Totti after that. Pirlo as well may not be able to last 90 minutes come June, despite being a coke head:coffee:. A change of strategy from deep lying creator, to one higher up the pitch like Totti could be useful in that scenario.

8. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He plays the full 90 more times than not for Roma, and his endurance is still very good at the moment. But who knows how fatigued he may be the end of the season. It is a lot to ask of a 37 year old to play pretty much 11 months straight.

9. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
  10. Scorp redded

Scorp redded Red Card

Jul 14, 2012
    Del Piero deserves a recall!

http://www.foxsports.com.au/footbal...n-their-identity/story-e6frf4gl-1226751963197

This year, more than ever, it's the foreigners that are the true stars of Serie A. The days when we had the Vieri's, Casiraghi's, Ravanelli's, Zola's, Mancini's, Signouri's, and especially the Baggio's are gone. Even on the small teams, the most important players are no longer Italian. If Del Piero can go to a foreign country on the other side of the world and still carry a team at 38, I say give him a chance to win a shot at Brasil. These kids ain't impressed me much and Del Piero would add more just in free kicks than others could all together right now.

11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think we should forget about ADP at the WC! Its time for:

LARGO AI GIOVANI!

12. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    How about going alot lower. The A league is more equivalent to serie D standards. He's living in a beautiful part of the world and it's a nice lifestyle for his family. There is almost zero chance he makes it and even though prandellis selections have lost some of their early promise, he will need to totally lose his mind to consider ADP

13. Scorp redded

Scorp redded Red Card

Jul 14, 2012
    You may be right about Del Piero, but A league equivalent to Serie D? I don't think so. The quality of Serie A itself has dipped in recent years so other leagues have risen rank through its decline. I think the A-League in more in line with MLS and therefore about a high Serie B standard.

Who is doing better is the real question? On every Serie A team, I hardly see any Italians that are true leaders. There are a few talented players, but other than Rossi and Balotelli, few of the standout over the more talented foreigners on their teams.

14. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Im sorry but that is away out. Just look how they do in the Asian champions league, they lost a spot because the league didn't even make the grade. Now they only have one automatic qualifier and one qualification team who got pumped this year.
    I watch it sometimes mainly for betting but if it was on in my back garden I would pull the curtains.

I don't often watch the MLS but to think the A league is on a par is just wrong. Teams in the MLS or serie B would crush them in serious competition.

any Italian playing in a serious league will be considered above ADP

15. Free Sempre X

Free Sempre X Member

Nov 3, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's wise for Prandelli to keep an open mind to older players who are still useful, like Totti, Di Natale, Cassano, etc., as one of these might be a good late-breaking pick for the World Cup if in exceptional form.

The difference between Totti and Del Piero though is that Italy already have two quality young players who can play the 'seconda punta' role that used to be Alex's--Insigne and El Sharaawy. Totti, by contrast, fills a hole that Prandelli has genuinely never been able to fill: trequartista. Marchisio and Montolivo have both been tried in this role, as well as Thiago Motta, but none of them have anything like Totti's vision and creativity. He could probably only go for 50-60 minutes a game, or as a sub, but Prandelli should think seriously about Totti if the option arises. At 37, he's probably still the best in Italy.

16. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    With Del Piero's experience, I still think he'd be a more than solid option as a late offensive sub. Let him go all out for 15mins, I think he's more than capable of performing in that role. Along with his skills at free kicks where age doesn't play nearly as big a role.

17. Romanista_NYC

Romanista_NYC Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Basel, Switzerland
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    LOL @ the idea of ADP in another world cup.

18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If there is anyone who deserves a token spot, its DiNatale, ADP & Totti . We are all blowing smoke though because I seriously doubt Prandelli will pick any of them in the end. I'd love to see one of them out there but I do not foresee it.

19. Scorp redded

Scorp redded Red Card

Jul 14, 2012
    "Alessandro Del Piero scored his third goal in six games as Sydney FC beat Melbourne Heart 2-0"

http://bostonherald.com/sports/revo...del_piero_on_target_for_sydney_fc_in_a_league

[​IMG]
    Del Piero: 'Australia recharged me'

http://www.football-italia.net/41848/del-piero-australia-recharged-me

“Australia isn’t just a place; it’s a state of mind.”

Well that and the fact that Totti retired from the national team and as far as I know, Del Piero just stop being called up.

And while I would normally agree that younger players should be given a chance, it is not a policy that I would follow blindly. Insigne is doing fine, although in most games I have watched Napoli play, except for against Juve, he is overshadowed by Hamsik, Higuain and Callejon. El Sharaawy meanwhile has been in form since before Balotelli went to Milan and seems to have been kidnapped by aliens b/c he has disappeared. Whether it be injury or poor form, you cannot guarantee a spot to someone who has not played in such a long time. SES might be one for the future, but the World Cup is in a few months and we need people that can deliver, NOW!

20. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    <http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/video/62830147996/Shootout>

Check out this link for the big controversy that is surrounding ADP at the moment vis-a-vis his performances in Australia's A-league.

The negative press he is getting from some sections of the media just goes to show how backward and unambitious the footballing culture is in this country. Australian football at best seems to aspire to emulate the rough and tumble kick and run mentality of the English game that so many of our football "fans" worship. Australians should be getting on their knees and giving thanks to ADP, given that he has taken such a serious and professional approach to his tenure at Sydney FC and has not merely chosen to come here to kick back gain weight and collect a fat paycheck like so many other "marquee" signings have in the past. Even at 39 years of age his technical artistry is a sight to behold and emulate for young footballers of the future.

21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I always thought that more older players should be involved with most national teams in general. I believed the experience they lend and the fact that most of them are probably better than most of the younger guys, is one of the main reasons on why more Over 30's/ 35's should be picked. I've seemed to change my sentiments though because we are talking about a 4-8 week long tournament where the older guys are away from their element of the club, their families and in most cases play in the heat of the brutal summers. Last but certainly not least, the injury factor sets in. Its no wonder why Totti is out injured right now. Will he have been injured 10 years ago? No one knows but its a given that a 37 year old player, regardless of what he has done in his career will be more injury prone than a 25 years old or the Under 25's. I'm sure these reasons play major factors on why the older guys are hardly ever considered for World or Euro Cup finals.

22. OldLady

OldLady Member+

Sep 8, 2011
    Berlin
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Prandelli: 'Italy must invest'
    By Football Italia staff

Italy Coach Cesare Prandelli demands more investment in youth academies. “If you can’t afford to buy champions, you need to create them.”

The Nazionale boss spoke to the Gazzetta dello Sport in the lead-up to the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.

“Italy has great potential, but we’ve got to stick to some rules, objectives and get ourselves back on track. No more waiting, as the time has come to sow the seeds for future success.

“There’s no time for jealousy or focusing on our own little patch of land. We should sow the seeds and remember the harvest will be for the good of everyone.

“If you can’t afford to buy champions, then you need to create them in-house. This is why I constantly urge development of youth academies. That is where we must invest.”

Prandelli admits his job as Italy Coach is made more difficult by the influx of foreign players, as younger Italians aren’t given a chance to shine.

“The problem isn’t mine, but of Italian football. When we arrive in Brazil and our national anthem is played, we mustn’t complain that the Azzurri have little international experience. Every Coach would love to train a national team that brings together players who gained experience at club level and brought that back to the squad.

“In my case, it was the other way round. I had to call more than 60 players because so few get to measure themselves up against the best in Europe. If anything, playing for Italy gave these players more international experience.

“Brazil prepared for and won the Confederations Cup by giving the priority to the Seleçao. Last year they planned the Italian Super Cup in Beijing four days before a FIFA-imposed friendly.”

Prandelli also has complaints about the stadiums and the crushing pressure placed around Serie A sides.

“The context and surroundings help you to play better. Overseas the teams go into games with a completely different spirit and when it’s over, if you’ve given your all, there’s a pat on the back and you’re off. In Italy it is always treated like the match of your life and fans are called up in a way that is frankly a bit much for what is still a game.”

La Magica repped this.
  23. Scorp redded

Scorp redded Red Card

Jul 14, 2012
    Solo effort sees Del Piero show the rest how it's done

[​IMG]

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...st-how-its-done/story-fn63e0vj-1226783610453#

"ALESSANDRO Del Piero played just 45 minutes, but it was enough for him to prove a beacon amid the gloom of one of the poorest games of the season as Sydney FC entrenched itself in the A-League top six.

The Italian great needed just 15 seconds of skill and class to show he is still head and shoulders above most in the league, scoring the opening goal in the Sky Blues 2-1 win over Melbourne Heart at Allianz Stadium yesterday.

On an afternoon that had been pure torture in terms of the lack of quality and class, Del Piero grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck with a superb piece of individualism, snaking past two helpless defenders, then holding off another before firing off a shot that just made its way inside the right post."

At 39, he is still showing some guys half his age a trick or two -- and thank goodness, for had he not been on the field yesterday there would have been a real danger half the stadium would have walked out at some stage.

juventino13 and metallicaband repped this.
  24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    No more news on this front.....

25. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013