Del Piero and World Cup 2014 - WTF.

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Romanista_NYC, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Romanista_NYC

Romanista_NYC Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Basel, Switzerland
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  3. Romanista_NYC

Romanista_NYC Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Basel, Switzerland
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  4. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    We have Diamanti. We don't need those guys

5. metallicaband

metallicaband Member

Jun 11, 2004
    I don't know whether to laugh or cry right now ..

LGRod repped this.
  6. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He just threw his name in there. 1% chance of Del Piero making the team next year.

Totti, on the other hand, would be interesting. If he has another strong campaign, then why not? Like Prandelli said, you have to build the strongest team.

7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I haven't seen ADP in the A-League so I can't comment on his play. Its not like , (the last few years anyway) players 10 years younger than either Totti or DiNatale however, have played better. I don't know what to think about the older players as I have always had mixed feelings about them. Only a select few (champions) can continue playing at a top level beyond the age of 33/34. I've seen many players hang on as long as they could but then its sad to see them drop in form and keep playing. Sometimes it has to do with injuries other times it just has to do with the fact that their mind and body can't do the same things as they once could. For whatever reason, Toni, Vieri, Corradi, Gattuso, Grosso all seemed to go downhill after the age of 33. There are exceptions though and Maldini, Baresi, Panucci, DiNatale , Pirlo, Totti maybe even Baggio could all still play at 35+ if they were/are given the chance. It will be interesting to see how both Totti & ADP do this upcoming season but I doubt that either will be picked in the end.

8. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think it's more of a mental issue than actual physical conditions (for non-injured players). Some people just take their age too seriously and it eventually gets to them, their mind isn't right, mistakes are made and form is lost. Players like Totti, Pirlo, Di Natale seem to just be calm, cool and composed with not many mistakes made on the field.

9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #9 falvo, Aug 22, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
    Yes I agree. Totti remained the only man on his hometown club for 20 years which I'm sure kept him sane. Pirlo spent 13 years in the city of Milan near him his hometown , then when I lived in Italy 10 years ago, the story was that he went through rehab so I'm sure that must have kept him in line even now. DiNatale spent time at Empoli then at Udinese and they are (compared to most) small time clubs so I'm sure the stress level isn't as bad as playing at Roma, Juve, Inter or Milan.

10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  11. Scorp redded

Scorp redded Red Card

Jul 14, 2012
    Don't forget about Luca Toni. He helped Verona beat Milan today with a brace while Balotelli and SES could barely find the ball.

12. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    You guys are pretty naive if you think that Prandelli is really considering Del Piero.

13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I heard that Prandelli might call Toni too! Love those Over 35's! :)

14. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    as good as this sounds for us Juve fans, we all know it aint gonna happen

15. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    When I lived in Italy, 10 years ago as well (2003-07), never heard this "theory", and I lived in Milan ;)

16. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Contrary to popular belief, these great players aren't saints by any means. Aside from Francesco Flachi and Jonathan Bachini,being banned for life for doing coke, the Pirlo rumor was huge while I was working at Fiorentina from 01-05. Also accused of doing drugs were former players Michele Padovano, Nicola Caricola and Gianluca Vialli. Cocaine use among soccer players is/was very common.

17. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    #17 Calcio Pauly, Sep 1, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
    Patronizing, I like that. :whistling:

Popular belief according to who? Are you suggesting that the majority of fans are naive and believe players "are saints" or just making that up as some sort of qualifier statement that you know better then everyone else? Because, no offense intended, that's exactly what it sounds like to me. I've noticed the tendency. Are you really telling me that most people don't think players like to party? LOL! Of course they do, especially now a days.

BUT, and this is a big but....Partying and doing coke recreationally, and needing rehab are two different things.

You're also basically stating that, somehow, you became privy to information that the media never caught whiff of? o_O The media IN Milan, of all places.

So somehow you have secret information that was widely known in Florence, but not Milan? Do you really think that if the media caught wind of such a story, they would have just remained silent because Pirlo's a good guy, or Galliani asked them to be nice? :ROFLMAO: Or that the media would need proof before spreading such a rumor? Hardly. Hey maybe I'm wrong. Maybe the powers that be managed to cover up this scandal better than they have any other, like how freemasons run the world, NWO, loominati, etc. Even the Spain and Fuentes story couldn't be stopped. BUT They couldn't run the risk of having Pirlo's name dragged through the mud. Hey maybe I'm wrong. Maybe the story did make it to Milan but the media figured it was just too boring, and they had better things to do!

Have you ever considered that maybe you just fall prey to rumors far too easily without really thinking about them? And that's not me denying that players like to "party" and do coke, possibly even Pirlo...sure, no biggie. Rehab though? And only "everyone in Florence" knew about it, and us shmucks living in Milan never heard a damn thing? :cautious:

18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #18 falvo, Sep 1, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
    Dude, you are way too defensive! Never meant to be patronizing nor did I say anything of the sort. I'm just stating what I learned and heard while working at the club during that period , which is drugs are very common among players and Pirlo, although a great player, is and was not an exception. If you believe it or not, I really can't help that and you can believe or take it it whichever way you want. Its really not a big deal.

19. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I don't mind when someone is being patronizing, dude, I think it adds color :)

You missed the point, obviously. No biggie Falvo.

20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Back to the thread, I don't think ADP would be good enough come next summer. I do see Prandelli picking an over 35 year old , however. Not sure who though. Maybe, Totti, Toni or DiNatale depending on how their Serie A season turns out.

21. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Do you think it's one of Prandelli's main objectives to pick an over 35? :cautious:

22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    No I don't. I think he is saying the right things about picking Totti & ADP but I don't think he wants to really. I also think the WC is a young man's tournament and picking over 30's will not be all that great at all. I do think however, picking one or two experienced veteran players though, especially one who will score or set up goals like a Pirlo can't hurt the overall group. Even if they are used for 1/2 a game.

23. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I think Italy has enough veteran leadership in Buffon, Pirlo and DDR. The rest also have the 2012 experience, so I can only realistically see Totti, providing he has a season like last year.

24. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yep i too hope Prandelli picks up another veteran player on top of Pirlo, we'll see how the season goes.

25. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Totti still has class as he showed yesterday against Verona. ADP is another story, I saw a few A-League games but the level seems to be a little lower than the Serie A or rather more like a Serie B tier. Still I haven't watched any of his games other than a highlight (or lowlight depending on who's point of view) of Alex missing a pk but that's about it.