DEEEEENCH! The Emmanuel Frimpong thread.

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by InTheSun, Aug 24, 2011.

1. hughmanatee

hughmanatee Member

Aug 11, 2010
    Montréal
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    Speaking of, and not to derail the thread, but every Arsenal fan should have seen his performance against Germany by now. ([ame="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xkx12q_poland-v-germany_sport"]Dailymotion - Poland v Germany - a Sports et Extrême video@@AMEPARAM@@http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/video@@AMEPARAM@@video[/ame])

2. InTheSun

InTheSun Member+

Oct 20, 2005
    The Andes Mountains
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
  3. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland
    We had satellite TV, so we were able to catch some games. It just wasn't consistent. We also could see some of the highlights shows. I watched Shearer at Newcastle with Ferdinand and Aspirilla. It was actually Les Ferdinand who got me into English soccer in the beginning from seeing old Newcastle games.

4. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    yeah, 1996 was when we first started to see english footie over here. definitely not the shearer/blackburn games.

never forget watching nayim chip seaman in the cup winner's cup (on ESPN2?) or something.

5. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ferdinand was one of my favouriute players as a kid, beast in the air

shame he went to the yids

6. InTheSun

InTheSun Member+

Oct 20, 2005
    The Andes Mountains
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Those that grew up in the NYC area in the 70s & 80s like me got to watch replays of English football on CH13 PBS. Can't remember the broadcaster's name, Tony .....something. We used to laugh at "Oh and it's in the net!".

We also got RAIUSA on UHF and could watch the Italian giants of those times. I was fond of Sampdoria because of Gianluca Vialli (still catch their matches when I can) and AC Milan was great to watch.

It was hard to follow european soccer in those days. I used to go into Little Italy weekly to get Gazzetta de lo Sport or such. Fun times, though.

7. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No love for Toby Charles and "Soccer Made in Germany" ??

;)

8. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    ESPN 2 used to show random matches at random times in the 1990s.

I remember watching a ManYoo/Middlesbrough match back in 1997 on ESPN2 at 8pm on a Tuesday night.

This game sticks in my head because United went down like 2-0 or 3-0 at home to Boro. Ravenelli and Juninho were beasting. Then United came back into the game. I think it ended in a draw

9. InTheSun

InTheSun Member+

Oct 20, 2005
    The Andes Mountains
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    The ravages of time on my memory. Of course, Soccer made in Germany was great also.

10. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yup, I grew up in NY and I remember watching EPL highlights all the time in the early 90s either on 12 or 21, maybe both. Along with my childhood favorites, Blackadder, Red Dwarf, and Chef. How'd I watch those bigman!

11. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Blackadder and red dwarf destroy seinfeld and friends etc

12. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just about anything destroys Friends. Nothing destroys Seinfeld.

13. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The thin blue line is laughing at you right now. I never understood what was so funny about seinfeld.

14. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool. Mr. Bean movies too?

Oh well.

15. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Was never a fan of Mr. Bean. Thin Blue Line was great because of the supporting cast as well as the lead.

16. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Back on topic...

So, what are the odds AW looks to a 2 DM's to settle the back a little? I think Song demonstrated he can pick out a good run here and there with a nice pass, so we still could have an attacking edge. Personally, I want to see him and Song get a game or two together from the start.

Maybe something like...

Gerv------RVP-------Theo
    ------Arteta/Ramsey-----
    -----Song----Frim--------
    Gibbs--Kos--Per--Sagna

17. fari

fari Member

Jul 28, 2007
    Denver,CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

i like that line up altho i prefer arteta over ramsey just until rambo gets some more time, don't want to put too much on him. rambo could be the first sub on if we need to give arteta a rest tho.

18. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Arsenal have shown they can't play a 4-2-3-1. A 4-4-1-1 would honestly be better.

19. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    I've been kind of thinking the same...but I remember when we were playing 4-4-2 (or 4-4-1-1) all the time and people were screaming for 4-3-3. Now, it's the opposite. Interesting.

More than formation, I think it's down to the personel on the pitch...different formations mainly let you put the players you want on the pitch in their comfort zone. At the moment, I think we need some serious help for the back 4. I just think some double-DM duty until Wilshere comes back would be nice. We have enough attacking talent in 4 players to get 1-2 goals per game I'm convinced. We just need to be able to hold on to a 1 goal lead for Christsake.

20. HomeatHighbury

Mar 25, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Dench. Carry on.

21. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  22. ptpab

ptpab Member

Jan 13, 2005
    Montana
  23. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    coq>frimpong

24. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hmm.. he's so-so. Good sometimes, poor the others. He needs time to develop, and frankly is number 3 in the hierarchy of defensive midfielders (,i.e. Song - Coquelin - Frimpong). Though Arteta plays in a deep position, I don't rate him as an anchor man, he's a deep lying playmaker/link player.

25. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    A 442/4411 would leave out some midfielders though. Would Coquelin, Frimpong or even Arteta be content on the bench? Song and Wilshere (perhaps Arteta) would bring the best balance.