Pre-match: DCU vs. Portland

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by La Barra Blonde, May 27, 2011.

1. Aconti2

Aconti2 Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    can you predict more matches?

So happy we got this result, I only saw the second half so I didnt get a good feel for the whole game but what I saw I liked. Whenever there was a ball in the box someone was on it like their life depended on it. There were a couple silly mistakes but they covered it up.

2. Petworth Posse

Feb 24, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    this is the question we should be asking. Didn't we just go through an MLS review on someone who did that - came to a full stop after starting his run? The goal was called good but MLS said it should not have been allowed. Hamid encroached - twice. But he was reacting to a player using an illegal move after he starts running toward the goal. PK should have been disallowed whether or not Hamid moved - or saved it. Right?

3. Petworth Posse

Feb 24, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Not saying we should believe Wikipedia but the PK rule as defined there says the player can stop during his run up to the ball but he can't "feint when he is on the point of kicking the ball" Will have to watch to see exactly what FrankenCooper did.

"After the referee blows his whistle, which is the signal for the kick to be taken, the kicker must kick the ball in a forward direction (not necessarily at the goal, though this is almost always the case). The ball must be kicked after a run-up by the taker, who may slow or stop his run during the run-up but may not feint when he is on the point of kicking the ball ("paradinha").[1] If the taker scores after violating this rule, the kick must be re-taken and the kicker must be cautioned for unsporting behavior."

4. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I was so happy when Wolff scored because I could quote that :)

Then they got that late howler of Hamid :(

5. Sounder95

Sounder95 Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Bay Area
    A great gutsy win. I have not seen Cooper so frustrated all year. I was getting tired of the Portland fans bragging about their home record. Congrats!

6. The Cold Sea

The Cold Sea Señor Mejor

Feb 17, 2005
    The District
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I though Ngwyenya played his best game to date for DCU. He did a lot of good, dirty work for us. This was a great win!

7. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    This is an issue the rule book won't solve, it's about how the rules are applied in practice. Three points -
    Have you ever seen a keeper save a PK on the line? According to a literal interpretetaion of the rules the keeper begins with his heels on the line and can't move forward, so that means every PK save would have to be on the line.
    Has anyone reading this post ever seen three chances at a PK, even in a CONCACAF WC qualifier?
    Is there any doubt that our PK was a classic make up call? When do you see a PK called when the ball hits a guy on the ground from behind? Whatever is said afterward, at the time the ref clearly felt the need for a make up.

The positive, on top of the win, is that opposing players now know that Bill can save PKs. And after today's fiasco no AR in the league will make that call on Bill again.

8. The Cold Sea

The Cold Sea Señor Mejor

Feb 17, 2005
    The District
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I don't know what went down with Spencer and Cooper, but it made for good teevee.

9. gratedjuice

gratedjuice Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think with fifa paying more attention to goal or no goal with the goal line officials they're going to have to start looking at pk rules. From the perspective of a former goalkeeper holding keepers to the standard that was enforced today is crippling. When you dive properly you have to take a forward step to get enough of a push off to even have a hope of making a save and that's what Hamid did. He set himself when the taker approached he leaned forward took a few steps to get momentum and dove. Now on the first PK I think Hamid definitely pushed his luck and was a bit too far off the line but I would blame that more on the PK taker's stutter approach. The second PK Hamid was obviously a bit shaken but stuck to his same approach and again the stutter approach messed up his timing. The real question is where do you draw the line? What level of enforcement would make a PK a fair challenge instead of just a exercise in futility for the keeper? Normally I would suggest a rule of common sense but having also refereed for a few years I know that such a rule would not be able to stand because of players abusing it and idiots trying to interpret it. I'm inclined to give the keeper 2 yards but they have to start on the line and can move during the approach. It still places the keeper 10 yards from the kicker which is plenty of space to tuck the ball in but also wouldn't cripple the keeper. In any event the rule needs some considerable thought or these multiple kick occurrences will be happening every week

10. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, the defending player came sliding in from behind, and while his feet missed the ball, his arm, dragging behind him, pulled the ball away from the attacking player. So it was definitely hand(arm) to ball, though probably not with intent. It's as fair as the call against Jakovic, if not moreso.

11. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. monodeldiablo

monodeldiablo Member

May 30, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love this idea! It would have the added benefit of forcing takers to move along with their run-up, effectively eliminating the paradinha.

13. joehill

joehill Member

Sep 28, 2005
    brooklyn
    Club:
    DC United
    the thing that stuck me was after those retaken PKs and Portland tied it, if it were last year's team you could have watched the life deflate out of them. you could see this team get pissed and take it to Portland after that.

14. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Chris, it's Portland. Wasn't there a themed bike ride you could have joined?

:D

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr6wY9ifYmE"]YouTube - ‪Portland Tweed Ride‬‏[/ame]

15. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    A big ******** like that and he does the stutter step? Step up and blast it young man. He's like that in the air too. He's over six feet but plays like he's 5'-2". No wonder he washed out in Germany.

16. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Yeah. Howler. Right.

17. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    But it took the ball off Pontius' boot, ergo penalty.

18. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I was thinking the same thing. I was worried they would implode, but the mental toughness was there. Nice work Benny!

19. Petworth Posse

Feb 24, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Oh please, it couldn't be Ben's coaching. Kevin Payne told us at the season ticket holder meetings that Ben's not ready to be coach - doesn't even hold a license - and besides, the good coaches are those who have years of experience like Sigi Schmidt.

20. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Shit, your right. I forgot. It must have been that KP finally expressed the definition of what it means to wear the shirt.

21. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Maybe not a howler. Was typing quickly and only saw the one live.

Calling it a howler simply on the basis of how pissed Hamid was when it went in.

22. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This.

This was the best thing about the win for me, for once after the refs ********ed us, we said OK, do what you will, it's not going down like that.

23. Publius

Publius Member+

May 22, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was a resolve and an energy level from DC's players today that I haven't seen in a long time. That was a big win and even if DC loses in LA it's still a good road trip.

I really don't know what to make of the PK fiasco. Neither kick looked suspect in live action, and while I might agree about the first call, the second one looked pretty routine. I thought the strongest shout for a penalty in the game was a no-call in the first half when Cooper got nailed trying to play a cross.

24. Publius

Publius Member+

May 22, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When Dave Johnson referred to Timber Joey as Portland's "chainsaw-wielding mascot" it made me think of him in horror-movie terms that I'd never thought of before.

25. yabollox

yabollox New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu
    Thanks to all the DC fans that came out today. Better team on the day won.
    DC, DC, sing us a song!