Pre-match: DCU vs. Portland

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by La Barra Blonde, May 27, 2011.

1. Diceson

Diceson Member

Dec 21, 1999
    Again, another reason why college soccer is such a joke, outside their actual skills.

Let's face it, the most important thing is arm waving while playing, interviewing skills (i.e. deflecting blame), and actually faking injury. Look at B.Convey and the Kitten Killer! Did they need college? Hell, no!

I'd say that their off the ball/not really playing skills are supreme. Just imagine what we might've missed if they'd been inculcated by a lame college coach.

2. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DC has to have Wolff on the pitch as long as his 34-year old legs can take it. He is a smart, crafty player who still has wheels. When he was young speed was his principal weapon, but he has added excellent positioning to his game. Neither Brettschneider nor even Davies has this yet, IMO. Wolf-Davies would be OK and has worked before; Wolf-Brettschneider can also work (and has - see the Portland match); but I'm still a bit leary of Davies-Brettschneider.

3. Liam O'Malley

Liam O'Malley Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Wolff has had a great season so far. And I don't like the Davies-Brett pairing at the expense of sitting Wolff, but when we see Ngwenya starting games it's just frustrating. Although I will say it seems that even Joe may be on a bit of an upswing. Maybe.

I actually think Brettschneider's positioning has been pretty good - at least offensively, though I have not been able to really witness much of his time on the field. His size and height are also strong assets that no one else brings to our attack. He's not fast, and his positioning does suffer for it, but paired with Davies' speed I could see them being lethal.

I think really I'm pretty happy with any combination of Blake, Charlie, and Josh up top. It's nice having offensive options for once.

4. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope I'm not being picky, but if Blake had been a bit more entreprenurial against Portland he might have had a goal. Ngwenya had gotten to a ball on the byline and somehow shot it back to Perkins, who wasn't expecting a shot and fumbled the ball. Blake had slowed up, assuming (like Perkins and everyone else) that the ball would roll out of play. It didn't, and I think he might have poached one had he kept going. But even vets make that mistake. Blake will learn. In fact, by not having the speed of a Wolff or Davies he has to compensate by anticipating.

5. Liam O'Malley

Liam O'Malley Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah he could have easily had that one. I agree. It was a shame. His two assists were both fantastic though.

Really I just hope he gets more playing time one way or the other. Feel like there's a lot of potential there.

6. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I like Wolff. He can't do matches with short turnarounds anymore.