DCU preseason games

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Theopisa, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Murr

Murr Member+

Apr 14, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    Here's my recap:

1st half had some good preseason matchups with both sides possessing and moving the ball up and down the feild creating scoring chances.

In the second half, and really the end of the first half, the fitness of DCU started to show. The boys in black started taking over the game, possession and shots on goal. Payol had several looks on goal. His first goal off a cross was nice, but his second goal--where he collected the ball at his feet at the top of the 18, waited for the keeper to come out and cut down shooting angles and then beautifully chips him in no man's land--was excellent.

The only substitution before the massive 11-man sub at the 60' was DeRo went in for DeLeon around the 30-35' mark. DeLeon played well, but the announcers think he got subbed for fitness or mild injury or something; Nick was surprissed to see his number called.

Tampa only subbed a couple of players, so all those heavy legs created space for the young DCU players and trialist that came on in the 60th. Seaton looked composed and attacked defenders, crosses and the keeper to a setup Kemp's easy tap in for his first DCU goal. Neal, Richter and Seaton worked the right side of the field with ease providing tons of service into the box. Kemp, playing left-mid while the Danish/Dutch trialist <forget his name> occupied the leftback spot, scored a second goal and should have been greedy at the end of the game and tried for a third. The rest of the players did fine, but were not really tested since thier opponents legs gave out around the 75' mark.

Encoraging preseason game to watch, indeed. I hated watching the video feed during the first 20 minutes due to it breaking up on my computer; it was fine after that.

2. Murr

Murr Member+

Apr 14, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    Goff's article here and it has a link to watch the preseaon freindly DVR style. :p

3. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i went back and watched the game now that i could actually see it without it breaking up. breakin down my thoughts bullet point style
    I thought neal looked composed as always.
    Pajoys second goal was great.
    some of the young guys were fast and encouraging.
    glad pajoy always proves me wrong.
    why did dero not have a vw logo?

4. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Really did not like Nane.

Porter is the only trialist that looks interesting to me.

It really addresses my biggest concern ... wing depth. Between seeing Porter and Kemp I'm more hopeful that we can solidify those wide spots.

5. Shammypantaloons

Apr 20, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    In terms of trialists, Porter was way behind Jan Frederickson. I wasn't expecting anything from him and I don't know anything about him, but he seems to be able to pass well, but given the competition, maybe he's just ok.

6. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    [/quote]

DC06 repped this.
  7. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    I like Frederickson's size and mobility. Also seems very confident on the ball.

Porter did very well for himself. Set up the second goal and should have scored on his header in the first half. He put himself into every dangerous attack up to the second goal. That should count for something.

I'm a Richter fanboy. Loved him last preseason and his two assists last night won't change that. Again, good size and speed and always looks to attack.

Agree with Nane - there's a reason why he's been cut by both Colorado and NE. As the color man Jason Sanghi said, he's good at breaking up plays and shielding players off the ball, but his passing is poor and will add precious little to the attack. He would be good roster fodder but he would take up an international spot and that's too valuable for a player that simply wouldn't play much anyway..

Boloni86 repped this.
  8. redcomet

redcomet Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    I just checked and last year Nane got his green card so he wouldn't take up an international slot.

9. DC06

DC06 Member+

Oct 9, 2006
    Within amile of home
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Odd in that pleased with everything, but have to keep it in perspective. If Kemp scores two goals all regular season I'd be happy with that production from him. Overall a solid performance against inferior opposition.

On lighter side DCUnited ran this story which type I always like.
    ------------------------
    http://www.dcunited.com/blog/united-notebook/2013/02/09/united-fans-in-florida

Last month D.C. United received a very special email from a family in Florida. The family, and particularly their youngest daughter Brooke, are diehard D.C. United fans, despite living almost 1000 miles from Washington DC. When they heard the news that the Black-and-Red would be playing in the Disney Pro Soccer Classic, they made plans to travel to Orlando for the first match versus the Tampa Bay Rowdies.
    [​IMG]
    Following the match, D.C. United midfielder Perry Kitchen surprised Brooke with a quick visit at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex. The young fan told Kitchen that he shared the same number as her, and was therefore her favorite player on the team.
    Thank you to Brooke and all of the D.C. United supporters who made it out to Orlando for the match!
    ----------------------------
    Perry is honestly a guy I'd love to do everything possible (including making a DP someday) to keep as a lifetime player and someday captain. He grows every year and would argue type of player that has those leadership qualities that are hard to quantify.

benni... and Barbieri repped this.
  10. Barbieri

Barbieri Member+

Jul 8, 2004
    Decatur, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have the best fans and the best club, bar none.

Here first, here always.

11. DCUSKINS

DCUSKINS Member

May 26, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    D.C. United Matchday@DCUmatchday
    #DCU Starting XI: Hamid; Korb, McDonald, Jakovic, Woolard; DeLeon, Saragosa, Kitchen, Pontius; De Rosario, Pajoy

Starters vs SKC tonight. Looks like this could be a glimpse at the opening day lineup.

12. D C B 2 3

D C B 2 3 Member+

Nov 18, 2007
    VA
    looks like a wet n windy evening down there...

13. BigKris

BigKris Member

Jan 17, 2005
    Falls Church, VA
    I am far more excited for a preseason match than is reasonable

14. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Great f'ing camera work so far :rolleyes:

15. D C B 2 3

D C B 2 3 Member+

Nov 18, 2007
    VA
    Fire that guy up in the tower!

16. D C B 2 3

D C B 2 3 Member+

Nov 18, 2007
    VA
    This stream ain't gonna last

17. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    pussie announcers bolted but the stream is still going for me..

18. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    DeLeon again trying to do too much - make the simple play - Russell was overlapping.

19. D C B 2 3

D C B 2 3 Member+

Nov 18, 2007
    VA
    Swear that looks like shalrie Joseph out there

20. DCUSKINS

DCUSKINS Member

May 26, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's Walter Martinez.

21. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    I see referee Ricardo Salazar is in midseason form. Michael Seaton gets his legs taken out from under him and he calls a foul on Seaton for landing on the guy who fouled him...

22. D C B 2 3

D C B 2 3 Member+

Nov 18, 2007
    VA
    That woulda been all jackovics fault

23. D C B 2 3

D C B 2 3 Member+

Nov 18, 2007
    VA
    Oh wow awesome..thx. Much too speedy for out of shape Joseph, I should have known.

24. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Uneventful first 45. I thought United defended pretty well.

DeRo needs to stay a bit higher to give Pajoy some support, but we all know he's our roamer out there.

25. DCUSKINS

DCUSKINS Member

May 26, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DeRo and Pontius looked like they had played Monday, traveled to NY the following day, travel back to Florida to play. Soooo they looked tired.