Pre-match: DC vs Pink Cowards Round III

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by West Coast Futbol, Nov 8, 2012.

1. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sweet, sweet, tears...probably of regret for signing on with them.

I'm enjoying a bit of schadenfreude right now...I'd have to look back at the Philthy thread in the Ref forum, but I'm pretty sure some of the ones pissing and moaning about the encroachment call mocked those who protested over the same call in the DC/Philthy match.

Geiger's positioning may be terrible (always in the way of someone's run or the ball), and he may make some absolutely bonkers calls both ways, but at least he's consistent about it. :D

2. ongreystreet

ongreystreet Member

Jun 10, 2008
    Columbia, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am still not sure how people are still down on Pajoy, this strikers need to score thing is BS when you've got other players that can step up and score from chances created by forward players.

His play on that goal was great, first he gets his head on the ball, wins it from McCarty, then he crosses over with DeLeon(not letting DeLeon have the ball, DeLeon works his way to the box) then he turns his back to the goal, you can see the moment he sees Russell coming forward, ignores the run for about 4 seconds before unleashing his cross field path.

People talk about great players having vision, there it was.

3. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has a lot of vision, but I want forward to have vision AND score. I know, it's a crazy idea, but there it is.

Winoman and Funkfoot repped this.
  4. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Hmm, apparently I still get notified even if you quote my post in a different thread. But yeah I'm sure Cooper's full of regret for joining a team that revitalized his career after so many poor seasons.

5. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cooper was choking up on the field afterwards, so I'm not surprised. He's probably the guy I might actually feel sorry for on that team. If you've lived around here for a long time, you might remember that he's Ken Cooper's (Sr) son, coach of the Blast for many years, mostly in their best years.

I tell this story all the time, but I was at Blast summer camp one year when I was like, 12 or something, and early one morning there were 2 little kids, maybe 5 who were kicking the ball around and juggling it. At that point, I'd never seen a kid that young who was that good. The kid was Cooper.

He's not a player I like, but on that team, he's a saint to compared to some of those douches.

dkstones repped this.
  6. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me there always was doubt. That's what made the win so much sweeter!

7. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think that's right. The transfer you'd make is at a stop the blue line goes through after taking a longer route. In other words, yellow from National to L'Enfant is faster than blue from National to L'Enfant. If the first train that comes to National is a yellow and you take it, then barring a train fire, the worst that could possibly happen to you is you transfer at L'Enfant onto the same blue line train you would have caught if you waited at National. More likely, though, you transfer onto the one ahead of it, or onto an orange line train.

8. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    THROW THE METROS DOWN THE WELL
    SO MY COUNTRY CAN BE FREE
    YOU MUST GRAB THEM BY THEIR HORNS
    THEN WE'LL HAVE A BIG PARTY!!

is it time to add another verse to this old classic?

Transatlantic repped this.
  9. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've no problem with you being notified. In fact, I relish it. Did I mention the schadenfreude?

greekchampion04 repped this.
  10. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    You did lol, only the most bitter of NY fans are placing any blame on Geiger, Henry should have known better after Geiger pulled the same shit on you guys a few months back, plain and simple.

11. itwasi

itwasi Member+

May 9, 2008
    I don't know
    Club:
    DC United
    Please post a UnitedMania podcast before the 1st leg of the conference final. This historic series does discussion and focus all on its own. (Also it will help Fernandez keeps facts straight - only talking about 1 team and 2 matches :))

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  12. Liam O'Malley

Liam O'Malley Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a game.

But I am surprised to be the first one to mention Jakovic. INCREDIBLE game from him. Without his defending we lose by 2 or 3 imo.

That first sequence in our box, maybe 10-15 minutes in, where we looked a mess and he chests down a point blank shot before Lindpere blows his shot. Then barely getting his toe in on the Cooper break away a bit later to deflect it from the top of an otherwise empty box. And there were many more moments he had but those two especially left a mark.

Just completely professional defending through and through. Calm, cool, and beast like.

DCUSA, fatbastard, Winoman and 4 others repped this.
  13. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I was following the game via Twitter while seeing a show at R&R Hotel. Your other intrepid mod was flying back from a work trip, managed to land around 9:10 and get to the show before the main act. As I went to coat check to get her ticket, we saw the DeLeon goal come across Twitter and had a little mini celebration in the lobby of R&R Hotel. Unforgettable!

14. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So are you ending your boycott? I hope to see the two of you in Lot 8 on 11/18.

15. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, he was a beast. I thought that chested ball might have been a handball, and I was kind of freaking out a bit, thinking we got away with one, but I rewound the DVR at halftime and confirmed it was his chest.

I think it was one of Jakovic's best games ever for us.

16. West Coast Futbol

May 7, 2008
    The Beach
    Thanks but the match is Saturday right?

17. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I concur...He was freaking amazing, and saved us many times over.

18. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm starting to think he might make a better midfielder. His play is growing on me, but he doesn't give us what we need at striker.

19. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd have no problem with Pajoy in midfield, because he does a great job holding the ball and delivering pretty damned good balls into the box.

20. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sunday, 11/18 at 4:00 PM

21. Saltenya94

Saltenya94 Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    DC United
    It may not be pretty............. but it sure can cook!

Winoman repped this.
  22. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yeah

JeremyEritrea repped this.
  23. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Woot! Welcome back. I knew you wouldn't be gone long :)

24. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, okay, IF there is a yellow line train ahead of a blue line train that will arrive soon after, then I stand corrected. In that case you could hope to get to L'Enfant and catch an earlier blue/orange train but that is not guaranteed on the weekend.

I'd still plan on taking a cab...you'll be at the stadium in 20 minutes.

25. ongreystreet

ongreystreet Member

Jun 10, 2008
    Columbia, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it works better with Pajoy starting up top and coming back for the ball and Pontius starting out wide and coming in then leaving them flat footed by placing Pajoy in midfield and Pontius up top. In past players have gotten glued to their positions on the field. The ability for this team, besides the Cooper breakaway, to adjust when different players advance is incredible.