Pre-match: DC vs Pink Cowards Round III

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by West Coast Futbol, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Seattle just won @ Salt Lake. It's interesting to notice that - out of the 4 teams that had home field advantage, none of them qualified. Actually, 3 lost (NY, RSL and SJ) and one won (KC) but did not qualify anyway...

2. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do they suspend people for that type of tweet? He didn't say anything (or even imply anything) about the league or ref. Its certainly not worse than tons of things players say about other teams and get narry a fine for.

3. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's why we wanted to switch the two legs in the first place... KP is a genius.

4. Publius

Publius Member+

May 22, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're the New York Giants of MLS. They'll dick off during the regular season, but you want no part of them come playoff time.

5. Transatlantic

Transatlantic Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    I'm so happy so see victory after all the worthless nonsense from MLS and the Newark Pink Cows.

VAMOS UNITED!

6. Publius

Publius Member+

May 22, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our best result there is 0-0, I believe. I'd wet my pants if we walked out of there with a one goal loss.

I just fear a drubbing we can't recover from on the home leg.

7. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How long has it been since we gave up 2 goals. I'm not saying we're sure to avoid a 2-goal loss, but its far from out of the question. I hope you wet your pants.

8. greekchampion04

greekchampion04 Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Freestyle2000

Freestyle2000 Moderator

Feb 6, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    My head is still spinning. More thoughts:

1) Pajoy...sigh. I know he does a lot in holding the ball up, and I know that playing as lone forward is not easy, but forwards get paid to score goals, full stop. Our defense has had to play picture perfect over the past few games because we're just not going to reliably get more than one goal per game. Can't Santos give us anything resembling that hold-up play and ALSO some menace in the 18?

2) Robbie f'ing Russell. I've been a pretty big critic of his this season, but he was a bawse tonight. I have no problem with him starting again on Sunday (especially since Najar might be getting a multi-game suspension for his actions).

3) Gotta also give credit to Neal. Him and Russell on the wings scared the hell out of me (and will continue to, especially playing against Houston), but he came up big as well.

4) Central mid looked good too, though there were a couple of times that it seemed we were giving too much space to Henry in the middle of the park. The times we were able to hold possession often were because of Bosko in support of Pajoy, though his free kick from 25ish out was disappointing.

5) Salihi sighting! Everybody drink!

6) There have been better wins in club history, wins with more import (obviously - we've got trophies). After the utter bullshit that this league and RBNY has put us through over the last week, though, there have been very VERY few wins more satisfying.

7) Now, let's try to keep it close, despite being exhausted I'm sure, in Houston. :)

R.

Winoman, rugman and ImNumberTen repped this.
  10. ImNumberTen

ImNumberTen Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it almost makes me feel sorry for them.

Ah, who am I kidding? It's hilarious!

[​IMG]

11. ImNumberTen

ImNumberTen Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Repped. Been a long, long time since we've had a win that felt this good.

Freestyle2000 repped this.
  12. URwormfood

URwormfood Member

Mar 24, 2004
    6 feet under: LOT 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    YES!!!

:cry:

~worm~

13. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. The Cold Sea

The Cold Sea Señor Mejor

Feb 17, 2005
    The District
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Check WMATA's Web site for track work. Metro is fine when it's not being repaired.

15. The Cold Sea

The Cold Sea Señor Mejor

Feb 17, 2005
    The District
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    We're on a roll, baby. The Believe Bandwagon is reved up and rolling down the highway like an M-1 tank.

16. Ourblackandred

Jun 29, 2010
    Athens, Ohio
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My most important takeaway from this game:

Pretty or not, we won on the road. Again. Wow. From easy wins to road warriors. I love it.

17. URwormfood

URwormfood Member

Mar 24, 2004
    6 feet under: LOT 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

We have not been "PRETTY" all year...so it's just extra special...2 WIN!!! every game!!!

:)

~worm~

18. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats DC. If we don't make it through I'd prefer to see you in the Cup Final than NY -- so good job.

Two epic conference semi-finals. Here is hoping for a solid well-played conf. final.
    I hope we have enough left in the tank to give you guys a good cup-tie.

19. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just got home from Jersey venture day two, and it was f$cking awesome. I can't speak worth a damn now, didn't sit for a minute and even got on one of the big flags. Also, thanks to everyone who took up my "where were you last night?" cheer and tacking on "We were right here" in the pause. That was a first for me. :) both nights we're one for the books, and I couldn't have shared it with a better bunch of bastards.

Now, let's see if I can be at all productive in 4ish hours...

20. ImNumberTen

ImNumberTen Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "This organization has been through some tough years and these fans have suffered. They were here yesterday and then today. They are probably booking tickets to Houston. I don't think they will ever work again. Some of them are going to get fired."

-- D.C. United coach Ben Olsen thanks his team's fans, who gathered at Red Bull Arena for a second consecutive night following a snow-influenced postponement. D.C. United's win over the Red Bulls in its first playoff appearance since 2007 sends the four-time MLS champion into a conference final against Houston.

21. Don't Tread on Me

Aug 11, 2010
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    best sporting experience of my life as a spectator. it was worth the two bus rides and standing around in the snow for hours to be a part of that. thanks to everyone who was there, what a group.

will chang is awesome.

cwnunited, Winoman, The Cold Sea and 2 others repped this.
  22. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly.

23. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's MLS and it was a DC United player who tweeted something about the match commentator. Who the hell knows what Garber and his cronies might decide?

24. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't underestimate the power of home field advantage on 11/18, even if we're facing a 2 or 3 goal deficit from the away leg.

I also don't underestimate the fact that Benny Olsen has imposed his will and personality on this team. I believe all of them are playing for the badge. Even Pajoy. :)

25. greekchampion04

greekchampion04 Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    to award the game to metro?