Post-match: DC vs. NE Revs 4/5/14

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by bigredfutbol, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thing is, he's a perfect counterexample to those who were claiming that the reason many of us didn't like Ruiz was because he'd scored a lot of goals against DCU in the past. Rolfe also scored a fair number on us -- if not as large a number, definitely more painful because they tended to knock us out of the playoffs or the USOC or whatever -- but my distaste for him wasn't because I think of him as an awful person like I think of Ruiz. I'm happy to have Rolfe scoring goals for us rather than someone else.

2. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What Bootsy said

Winoman repped this.
  3. freekickwiz

freekickwiz Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    Under the endless sky
    Club:
    DC United
    Rolfe seemed very motivated when he was brought on. He may of had a few bad giveaways, but it seems like he wants to prove himself, as well as still has something in the tank.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  4. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    I don't care if it's Chad Ashton scoring goals as long as we're scoring goals.

5. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok now that is a bridge too far....

Barbieri and revelation repped this.
  6. freekickwiz

freekickwiz Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    Under the endless sky
    Club:
    DC United
    [​IMG]

"Me kick ball in net thing?"

7. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's funny, but I don't remember a lot of giveaways and bad passes by Rolfe, save for one which was headed in the right direction but was cut off. I did see him strip a Rev of the ball and also clear a ball off our goal line. I admit I am and have been an admirer, so maybe I've conveniently forgotten the bad moments. As for his wing play, Ben said that Rolfe hadn't played much on the wing since returning from Denmark.

And as for Chad Ashton, I like the snark (I want him gone), but I think he still holds the all time record for assists at UNC.

What's Big Soccer without clashing opinions?

bigredfutbol repped this.
  8. kirchhausen

kirchhausen Member+

Apr 17, 2004
    Ashburn, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of which there was a group of young men all dressed inUNC warmups sitting in the last 3 rows of section 129. I can only assume it was their Mens soccer team. Did they have a match in town this weekend?

9. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just realized why Chad Ashton coaches forwards to play with their back to the net. They're supposed to be back passing anyway so…

Winoman repped this.
  10. Oveki8

Oveki8 Member+

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    3 points!

I must admit I was skeptical about the Rolfe acquisition (mainly because the FO is acquiring veteran players who are past their sell by date), but I must admit he was one of the few people in a DC United who knew what he was doing out there.

11. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I'm a STH who rarely misses games but I stayed home sick & watched on tv. I may have to reconsider going to RFK.

bigredfutbol and NASI GORENG repped this.
  12. Don't Tread on Me

Aug 11, 2010
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    disclaimer: I just got back from an alcohol-soaked wedding weekend in Charleston so I neither watched the game nor read this whole thread, so my opinions could be both wrong and redundant BUT:

I watched the highlights and it seemed like NE had all the best chances, narrowly missed converting them, and DC won on fluky nonsense. This win feels like fool's gold, color me unconvinced.

NASI GORENG repped this.
  13. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sene and Bunbury probably both should have scored. But, so should have EJ. Still, it was a game worth watching and the win feels soooo good.

14. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar

Highlights must be deceiving. Nobody really had any good chances. Sene had a couple but that's it. Of course one of those goes in and it's a different game ... not really sure if we have the chops to break a bunker. But by the 2nd half NE was essentially shut down. They posed no real threat even at 1-0

That own goal really changed the game. We definitely got lucky. But you have to give credit to Neal for getting into a good space on the wing and delivering a cross. You don't get lucky bounces like that unless you get the ball in the box.

15. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think that was Neal's cross which created the own-goal. That was Christian's cross, IIRC.

Boloni86 and fatbastard repped this.
  16. fischy

fischy Member

Aug 27, 2006
    Maybe the guys at MLSsoccer.com were confused too, when they named Neal MOTM....

Barbieri and NASI GORENG repped this.
  17. The Artist

The Artist Member+

Mar 22, 1999
    Illinois
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hard to judge progress since NE seems to be our worst opponent thus far, but just about everyone seemed to have their best match of the season (a low bar to be sure).

Although NE created a few chances they weren't a result of the sort of miscommunication and out of position defense we saw earlier this year. I expect our defense is going to be made to look silly by skilled players from time to time (see Christian last week) but given their years of experience I also expect them to generally make the basic plays and win most balls in the box and keep some shape.

Espindola was great. The midfield, though mostly lacking in creativity, was at least moving off the ball and not giving away possession too cheaply. Again, rather low expectations but a step up from some previous Olsen teams.

EJ seemed more involved and did a bit more work until the last 10 minutes or so when he seemed to tire and was subbed. He's very hard to read, though. Is he trying to do too much in order to get on the USMNT? Does he not care too much now that he's gotten his payday? Is his timing just not in synch with his teammates? Is he frustrated at not scoring? It reminds me a little bit of when Henry first entered the league and wasn't scoring at all but kept trying to setup teammates or hold possession. Obviously the two aren't comparable as players, but it's a similar situation where it's hard to tell if this is just a soccer issue that can be fixed or a personality issue that will fester. Even though that point blank shot didn't go in, it was good to see him make that run and take that shot since that's the type of play that will be most helpful to us.

bigredfutbol and freekickwiz repped this.
  18. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How he was named MOTM, I'll never know. And I saw a replay of it on the ESPNFC show. It was indeed Christian's cross that lead to Goncalves' OG.

19. Don't Tread on Me

Aug 11, 2010
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #94 Don't Tread on Me, Apr 7, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
    Sene getting on the end of Dykstra's parry, Bunbury from the Christian horror pass, and Fagundez's bicycle attempt looked like the best chances to me. But you're right, highlights can't tell the whole tale. I had a friend record it so I'll watch it at some point.

Edit: Franklin should have had a nice chance when EJ fed him in the 18. I'm a fan of Franklin's game overall but he has to shoot there.

NASI GORENG repped this.
  20. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was great to get a win, I'm still basking in it.
    But ......

What in the hell is wrong with Bill Hamid?

I heard a foot injury casually mentioned on the broadcast. Do they go into any detail on DCU.com?
    Is it something we'll need to bring Big Joe Willis out of banishment in the confederate capital as backup next week?

Was Hamid the back-up against NE? Who's slotted to play next weekend against Jersey?

21. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I heard a toe mentioned. Probably not a big deal, could be back next week.

22. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goff tweeted that he's having an MRI done today.

23. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, Willis was. He was out there practicing in pre-match warmups.

fatbastard repped this.
  24. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting.

I think I have made it into the stadium before kickoff like 5 times since 1997 when I started tailgating :)

25. freekickwiz

freekickwiz Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    Under the endless sky
    Club:
    DC United
    This scares me, because this is what everyone was afraid of when bringing in EJ. He doesn't have any intensity to his game, and there's a lot riding on him scoring goals. In our first game against the Crew, he was casually jogging around, falling over and appealing for fouls, and generally looking lost. I thought maybe it was just jitters, but it hasn't got any better. In the following games, it was the same story. He lacks intensity and focus. His touch is slow, and he can't seem to stay on his feet to save his life.