Post-match: DC United vs. the Metrobulls

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Riz, Nov 3, 2012.

1. blockski

blockski Member

Feb 13, 2009
    Club:
    DC United

It's called "playing the percentages." It's what smart managers do to win ballgames!

[​IMG]

Don't Tread on Me repped this.
  2. Oveki8

Oveki8 Member+

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    That was what I thought too, I thought he got the yellow for holding onto the ball and wasting time.

I disagree with the throwing of the ball. The far end replay clearly showed Najar looking at the ref and frustatingly throwing the ball right at him.

3. Oveki8

Oveki8 Member+

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    exactly.

4. Oveki8

Oveki8 Member+

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    That was a horrible non-call.

5. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Let's say he did throw the ball at him. What was wrong with it? It was an underhand throw. It was not a strike towards him. It was here is the ball. The referee was too busy making an ass of himself. Why was he chasing down Najar? Najar was stupid for taking the ball and he should have just dropped it. But there is no reason for the referee to make himself the center of attention. It is not what I pay a ticket to see the match.

6. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, but I disagree. If I had been the ref, I would've shown him red as well.

And I don't really get why you keep insisting the ref was "making himself the center of attention" - what's he supposed to do, not make his presence known when a foul occurs?

raza_rebel repped this.
  7. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if Najar hadn't been given that first yellow I think the incident with the ball would have earned him a straight red. The first yellow was given for what I would call a professional foul, although it was borderline (hence Najar being pissed). Walking away holding the ball is just asking for trouble; then throwing it in the direction of the official (so much "in the direction" that it hit him) makes the second yellow/red inevitable.

Winoman repped this.
  8. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you even watched the video you've posted? He's "chasing down" Najar because he's trying to caution him, and Najar is being petulant and walking away (after Marrufo called him over!). What is he supposed to do, show the card to the air in front of him?

And he can't throw the ball at the ref! It doesn't matter if it was underhand, overhand, side arm, or rolled, that's worthy of a card, and Najar is lucky it was only a second caution and not a straight sending off. It certainly wasn't a case of "here is the ball".

9. freekickwiz

freekickwiz Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    Under the endless sky
    Club:
    DC United
    Does anyone have a video of the back pass?

10. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Here's my heretical position: I think that saying, which I don't blame you for because it's very common and sounds very uncontroversial, is actually, when you inspect it carefully, a crock. If the players are going to try something punkish, then the ref has little choice but to 'make himself the focus of the game' by calling the rules. If he doesn't, the whole thing is going to degenerate. If anything, the way to avoid 'making yourself the focus of the game' is to assert your authority early with some timely calls, before it gets to that point.

For what it's worth, I thought at the time that the first yellow was for the primadonna 'walk away.' A ref would be entirely within his rights to consider those two separate yellow-worthy violations.

drink.mingusdew repped this.
  11. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    You have to flash a card when a player throws a ball at the ref.

If not the next guy throws the ball even harder. And the next guy even harder. When is the ref supposed to put an end to it? If you card the 3rd guy, the question becomes why didn't you card the first guy?

These are stupid yellow cards like when players kick a dead ball into the stands out of anger. Relatively harmless ... but the refs don't like it.

12. DCWarrior

DCWarrior Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the stadium I got the feeling the first yellow was for Andy ignoring the ref a walking away with the ball rather than the 'foul'.

13. gremio1903

gremio1903 Member+

Aug 10, 2011
    Uruguaiana, RS (BRA) [last: Rockville, MD]
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    I just saw it again. The foul was a yellow card foul, and Najar was getting one because of it.

14. YellowSpine

YellowSpine Member

May 7, 2009
    Portsmouth, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spot on. Najar has this habit when getting called for a foul or shown a card (not throwing the ball, but his body language/walking away and ignoring the ref). Probably just needs to be coached on his reaction. Hopefully he learns from this.

15. YellowSpine

YellowSpine Member

May 7, 2009
    Portsmouth, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um, this would have been an ejection in just about any sport. Not just the MLS. Regardless if the ref is Christ himself or the devil.

16. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I think I heard someone say "Jesus Christ that's a bad call" when Najar got the initial yellow.

17. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By Lucifer, that was an unfortunate call!