Post-match: DC United vs. the Metrobulls

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Riz, Nov 3, 2012.

1. ONE

ONE Member

Aug 11, 2000
    NOLA

I don't blame Hamid. You can see clearly in the replay, that some metrosh*t hip-checks him into the goal.

2. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Yeah I'd rather have Russell in there at RB and keep Korb at LB where's he's finally getting the hang of things. Russell has had some recent cameo appearances at RB and he's a vet. I'm not a huge fan, but he's a right back ... we need a right back. No need to over complicate things.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  3. DC06

DC06 Member+

Oct 9, 2006
    Within amile of home
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did not say it is what I'd do. I think it is what is likely based on Ben's mentality.

Here's my guess as to his response after about this anticipated decision.
    "Yeah, we didn't have Andy so put us behind the eight ball. Lewis has been a great dynamic player who has shown he'll play what ever position we put him in. It's not ideal, but I think he acquitted himself well in that unfamiliar role."

bigredfutbol repped this.
  4. Don't Tread on Me

Aug 11, 2010
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he did. he isn't great back there, but at least he's played recently. I think I'm leaning toward him as the safest option, and I get the feeling Olsen will too. Chabala's been invisible since he arrived and Woolard has been out too long. please, please, not Russell.

edit: although...given ny's lack of pace down the wing, maybe russell wouldn't be too bad.

5. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In Benny's post-game comments he had some very lukewarm things to say about Boskovic and praised Neal. If Russell goes to RB, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Neal starting in midfield, possibly out wide with Pontius tucked in to play off of Pajoy as a sort of withdrawn forward. I thought Branko had a very good match, but his graceful style of running probably makes him look too casual for Ben's taste.

6. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Am I the only one who thinks Ben "froze" after the red card? While I do think the Pajoy had a decent game, he was out of gas after the 80th minute. He needed to be replaced by Santos.

bigredfutbol and stangspritzring repped this.
  7. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you for your meaningful input which added such value to the conversation.

8. ericmann78

ericmann78 Member

May 19, 2011
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I commented to some friends that right before Pontius took that PK, that he had to make it (or we would not win). I think missing that PK took some of the wind out of their sails, and frustrated the team (along with the poor offisciating, and many missed opportunities). I think Pajoy had his best game of the season for DC, but agree that he needed to be subbed in the second half, he just can't score (and is frustrating to watch). He needs someone to help him find the net, he shouldn't be up top by himself. That said, going to NJ will be tough, but if they don't beat themselves, I think they can pull it out.

9. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    I thought about that, but (putting myself in Ben's brain), he thought Pajoy still covers alot of ground, we're down a man and Santos isn't as good defensively and is worse at hold up play. Certainly that non-sub didn't affect the result.

10. Transatlantic

Transatlantic Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    I'm totally disappointed. The next leg must be better.

11. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Except a lot of those weren't "50/50s." I think what Pajoy is being given credit for is that he pulled down a lot of "20/80s."

That's a recipe for disaster. Pontius would never have gotten the ball.

12. Jester64

Jester64 Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Takoma Park
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree and shouted the same thing at the TV for the last 10 minutes of the game.

13. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah well I remember Christian Gomez losing his mind in a playoff game against Chicago and gettig a red card for spitting on CJ Brown right in front of the ref. And he wasn't 19.

edit: I see I was beaten to that recollection...

I just worry he'll get an extra game suspension.

Overall, I'm not that bummed. DCU has to win a game against a NY team that looks beatable.

AND

Great learning experience for out young players

14. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched the game on TV, and it was clearly over the line.

15. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Pointing out your stupidity adds far more to a conversation than any analysis you can provide.

16. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes indeed. The in-stadium replay made it pretty conclusive as well, alas.

17. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My issue was I wanted a foul called though. The ball was clearly over.

18. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but good luck getting anyone non-United to say Marrufo should have seen or called it. :D My comments that Marrufo's foul recognition are for crap over in the refs forum got me nothing but derision...Which, quite frankly, I'm used to.

19. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's one of those where do I really think it's a foul? Maybe not. Have I seen that called many times before though? Absolutely.

stangspritzring and sitruc repped this.
  20. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I didn't doubt it crossed the line in the stadium. I thought Hamid was pushed while in mid-air.

21. Publius

Publius Member+

May 22, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They do a very good job of circling the wagons around their own over there.

Q*bert Jones III and sitruc repped this.
  22. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar

I agree. Hamid went up in a crowded area. I'd call the contact incidental.

But that doesn't change the fact that there's been a precedent in other games and other leagues where any contact on the keeper will be called regardless of intention.

Either way we can argue all we want, but none of these supposed bad calls by Marrufo are clear cut. A lot of it is up for interpretation. It's certainly not something that we can point to as the great Marrufo robbery of 2012.

sitruc repped this.
  23. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree. The one call that should have been made, but wasn't, was the pass back from the defender (who appears to be only one generation removed from H. Neanderthalensis) to Robles, their GK. Robles got away with a big one, there.

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  24. rugman

rugman Member

Oct 13, 2003
    Annapolis
    First, it was great to be at RFK on a cool November night! Game was ugly and our guys didn't have their playoff game hats on. Maybe we were just snakebit in front of goal but I am thinking this better have been a learning experience for many young players.

The Good:
    Pajoy can't score in a brothel but definitely played his best game for us. I agree with those thinking we needed to sub Santos in the last 10. At least if he had a shot it could have been on frame. Kitchen and Saragosa were both beasts and the back line was organized most of the night.

The Bad:
    Andy plays a great game and lets something get to him which gets him thrown off. Pontius blows a PK.

The Ugly:
    The thing that I don't see anyone discussing is Hamid's thought process on the own goal. Yes, he was bumped and it should have been called but if you are going up and losing balance he has 3 options. Try to hold onto the ball, punch it, or palm it over the bar. So it bothers me that even though he made poor choice number one, in the post game comments he still thinks it would have been better to attempt to punch the ball (off balance, in a position of weakness). It should have been a no brainer for a well trained keeper who is on his way up in the world of goal keeping to palm the ball over the bar.

As for Wednesday, yes I agree with Ben that they are beatable but why are we giving them locker room material and what makes us all think they will play the exact same way?

Vamos United! Beat the scum in their pond!

25. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching the 'live' recorded action I thought "oh, that's definitely over the line," but then in the replays I was not so sure the entire ball was entirely over the line. But if you're hanging your hat on the possibility that a tiny fraction of the ball may not have been over the line, you're in a poor starting spot...

edit: yeah, I'm watching it again and it looks clearly over, but the camera angle will exaggerate that when the ball is in the air (which is when it looks over, on the bounce), but then Hamid palms it down and it looks pretty much straight down, and there is a sizable portion of the ball on the line. AR was in the right position though and called it right away

video here, btw http://www.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2012-11-03-DC-v-NY/highlights?videoID=205126