Pre-match: DC United vs. Sporking Kansas City - Home Opener

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by greatscott, Mar 5, 2012.

1. D C B 2 3

D C B 2 3 Member+

Nov 18, 2007
    VA
    I'm back to my morning runs outside after the winter treadmill routine. This morning's route out back of RFK was an eye opener...there's a big detour in the Lot 8 access road!

I believe the construction team may have moved the tailgate trailers for supporters groups.

2. dadman

dadman Yo soy un papa

DC United
    United States
    Apr 13, 2001
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :: looks down ::

Oops. I should have checked this thread before I left the house. :eek:

3. dadman

dadman Yo soy un papa

DC United
    United States
    Apr 13, 2001
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And you can go home with a piece of that history. If you're luck, it will be on or near your seat when you arrive. If you're not so lucky, you'll have to dodge it during the game...

Still,
    Be it ever so crumbly
    There's no place like home
    Where the hot dogs are pale gray
    And the beer is mostly foam...

4. jw07

jw07 Member

May 19, 2008
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't wait for my first DC United game inside RFK. I'll be the one with the small digital camera taking a lot of photos of the players and fans. :)

My Minnesota Stars FC won the NASL playoffs last year, so I have been promoted up into the MLS this year.

I think DC United's new forward/mids attacking group will have the recipe just right this year.

Who has the best tailgating party in the DC lot?

5. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. dadman

dadman Yo soy un papa

DC United
    United States
    Apr 13, 2001
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And as a food-bringing member of those SEs, I'll say the Barra has the most laid-back one. And a little more kick-the-ball-around action than the SEs, notwithstanding a young man named O____ and his fellow U4 fanatics. :)

All depends on what your looking for. The border between the two is pretty permeable, so why not wander betwixt and between? :)

7. La Barra Blonde

Oct 21, 2007
    Section 135
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It depends on what you like. If you like organized, catered events then the Screaming Eagles are it, like Potomack mentioned. Their blue whatever they are in the big kegs cannot be beat, and they feature several kegs of other beers as well as hot dogs, burgers, and side dishes. Members supplement with their own deserts and tasty treats.

If you are into more organic, potluck, family reunion style affairs, the Barra is where it is at. An all-volunteer crew cooks up Barra sponsored carne in "Hell's kitchen" but people are asked to bring side dishes and other meats for the community table. From crack brownies to homemade salsa and 9 layer bean dip, you never know what you are going to find but you know it will be good. Occasional guest grillers will bring in whole lambs, roast pig, or a bajillion wings. Oh and there is always alcohol. Lots and lots of alcohol. If some guy named Pauly asks you to try something, just say no. It's for your own good.

The District Ultras (and I think La Norte?) run a smaller potluck tailgate down by the water but it is no less a gastronomic extravaganza. You're more likely to get a plate of the good stuff before it is devoured by the ravenous hordes than at the Barra tailgate.

Feel free to mingle, try out each tailgate and contribute! Most of us have friends in each group or belong to multiple groups so its not like you have to stick with only one. Drop off a bag of chips or some cookies or beer and you'll make instant friends. If you have time, volunteer to help out as well. The tailgates are only as good as the people that volunteer at them. Someone has to set up the grills and throw away the trash and clean up the area. It's a heck of a lot easier if everyone helps out. You'll meet a bunch of people as well.

8. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They all do!! I'm partial to the SE tailgate for its organization, etc. But it charges $$ (except for beer if you're a member) and to do so by RFK rules is a bit odd, you have to walk a short distance :)

The Barra tailgate is mostly pot-luck - bring enough stuff for others to share, and share others' stuff, with some extra stuff cooked up nicely by the Hell's Kitchen staff.

No idea exactly how the Ultras tailgate works, I only visit people over there, never tried to decipher any tailgating rules :) They do have the most picturesque tailgating area.

Not sure the La Norte folks do more than gather.

A bottle of good alcohol to share makes you instantly a friend of any of the tailgaters :)

edit: all seemed answered by the time I got back to my desk and actually hit 'submit' - I will add that even though the SE one does cost a small amount of money - if you volunteer you eat for free - most volunteers are needed to clean up.

9. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All the tailgates are in the same general area and there's a ton of overlap. My friends and I ended up in the Screaming Eagles tailgate when we first started going to DC United games because it was the most organized one of the various options. But it's not like you won't see plenty of Barra Brava members in line at the SE beer tent, and vice versa.

If you're coming on Saturday by car, I'd suggest bringing your own chairs and some backup beers, just in case. The chairs provided at the tailgates tend to get snapped up early, and the beer lines can get long at popular games (like the season opener).

10. Untroubled by Reason

Dec 5, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :eek:

11. Untroubled by Reason

Dec 5, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course, the concrete fragments are free... :eek::D

12. Petworth Posse

Feb 24, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    A lead piece of my seat (season ticket) fell off a few years back. I have it as a paperweight. It comes complete with 1960's era bubble gum stuck up under it.

13. dadman

dadman Yo soy un papa

DC United
    United States
    Apr 13, 2001
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I couldn't rep you, so I'll have to post it here in the Pre-match thread:

You are one classy individual. Thank you.

Now, on to match analysis!

Can anyone beside Ben Olsen rattle off a starting eleven without looking at a cheat sheet? (And I'm not ruling out the possibility that Ben might need one himself. :eek: ) Who are all these guys? :)

14. jw07

jw07 Member

May 19, 2008
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    About what time do the festivities get going in lot 8 on a Saturday 7:30pm game day?

I also will need two tickets for the March 30th game vs Dallas, I'm guessing the supporter groups sell some?

Cheaper Adidas game Jerseys anywhere?

Anything with BQ sauce would be the ticket when we play against a team from KC, ahe?
    Roasted rabbit comes to mind again when thinking about the young KC attackers... :)

15. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Not sure if it was one of Goff's piece or mentioned on Comcast Sportsnet but it was stated that Chris Pontius is the most senior DC United player on this team. Good question, who are these guys?

16. La Barra Blonde

Oct 21, 2007
    Section 135
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Things kick off usually between 3-4pm or whenever the lots open. If you are coming in on foot, you can get in earlier. I know some of the Barra will be drinking well before then.

All the supporters groups will be selling tickets for that game. Look them up on the web for info. They also have ticket booths at the stadium except for the Ultras. You can talk to them at their tailgate.

Cheaper jerseys? Being a Barra member gets you 10% off in the team store. I'd assume that the SE, LN and DUs have a similar arrangement. Season ticket holders get 20% off. Otherwise look for sales.

17. jw07

jw07 Member

May 19, 2008
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

KC will most likely play a 433/451 (three central mids) and could be caught on the counter when too far forward. Hopefully Andy and Robbie will be on and we can play forward quickly out of the back right up to DeRo. I'm really thinking DeRo will pull apart the KC defenders 1v1 with space and Salihi will quietly find his way into the center of the box for the finish. Could be a great attacking team this year.

Gotta keep an eye on KC's Kamara, (only 9 goals, but he attempted 91 shots in 2011). Also, Sapong (5 goals, 53 shots attempted)/Bunbury (9 goals, 65 shots att), and Bobby Convey (traded from San Jose after playing in only 21 games in 2011) who is always dangerous out on the left when he has room for 1v1 play. KC wanted Sinovic for their left back and got him in a trade from Montreal. Must be a threat when the top team from the East picks you out for their mix. Omar Bravo is gone from KC this year, he took his 9 goals and 60 shot attempts to Montreal.

*Graham Zusi (attacking mid) is nursing a quad, and Julio Cesar (holding mid) has a knee issue, both will most likely play so they may be a little slower in the central part of the field.

Can't wait for game time!

18. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The lots officially open at 3:30.

If that's when you come in, partying will already be going on :)

I will be leaving my house around noon and in the lot drinking around 1/1:30

19. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's okay, he rarely scores goals inside RFK stadium, usually misses wide left.
    It'll be nice to enjoy that part of his game for once :)

20. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. LN - Dougg

LN - Dougg Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Dale City, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Anyone know if the current roster on the team website is the latest or is there someone missing/to be added?

Thanks!

22. Aconti2

Aconti2 Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Listening to the captial Soccer Show it sounds like Korb is going to start at left back on saturday

23. Grasscutter

Grasscutter Member

Jan 21, 2003
    Atlantis
    Club:
    DC United
    That's a good analysis above, and I especially agree about Kamara. But you forgot to mention what a d-bag Coach Vermes is--he's Steve Nicol without the Irish charm or sense of humor. He'll be thoroughly berating the 4th official by the 10th minute.

One small point--Sinovic played at KC last year and started most of their games. I think they left him unprotected in the expansion draft and then cut a deal w/ LimpAct to get him back.

24. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he was just answering the question about depth at left back, saying Korb's got it covered, the trialists didn't work out. However, I thought the Dudar comments were interesting, about how it will take time for him. Almost seems like Jakovic and McDonald will be starting.

25. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Nah we both tailgate the boring normal way with keg and food.

And you know. Anacostia. Fishing rods. Want some grilled fish tomorrow FB? :p

Our ticket guys would rather drink than sit in booth and we can't blame them hehe Works better since that way people gotta come by and hang out. :D