Pre-match: DC United vs. Sporking Kansas City - Home Opener

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by greatscott, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Liam O'Malley

Liam O'Malley Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Psyched. My 9 month old daughter's 3rd match.

Too bad it won't be as warm as today though, but whatever. I can't wait.

2. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bring on the cold I say. Enough if our games are played in 90' heat it's nice to get a couple cold ones in.

3. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Cold? It's going to be 50 and sunny.

I haven't felt air that warm since November. It snowed in Minnesota this morning and this is a mild winter. I don't understand why people live here.

4. dadman

dadman Yo soy un papa

DC United
    United States
    Apr 13, 2001
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotta agree with the last part of that.

[​IMG]

Um. That's not what you meant? ;)

Rocking the striped scarf today; jersey & scarf tomorrow.

Saturday, I'll add socks and shin guards. :)

5. Boda United

Boda United Member

Apr 18, 2003
    No. Va.
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Over 12,000 tickets sold already with a good walk-up crowd we could hit 16,000? Upper bowl is now off-limits for all games. We could actually have a sell-out this season!

6. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    The sun is scheduled to set about 86 minutes before kickoff on 3/10.

Temperatures likely will drop a bit too from the daytime highs during the 7:30-9:30 pm hours. but hey, there's currently 0% chance of rain, if you believe weather.com -- although 3/10 is the (significantly) coolest forecast day from 3/8 to 3/12, not that an anticipated hi/low that day of 50/37 is huge problem for MLS/DCU to deal with in early March. although Sunday's weather (and the clock adjustment), had it arrived a day earlier, might have helped bring in a few more walk-ups.

And take heart, clocks spring forward early Sunday (3/11) morning, so the vast majority of evening games at RFK in 2012 will start closer and closer to sundown, if not after it (depending on the day, or course).

7. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    source? (and what is the current lower bowl capacity at RFK?)

and is the upper bowl off-limits just for regular season games?

what about mega-friendlies this year?

and what about all the playoff home games (including MLS Cup) that will be played at RFK in 2012 (and for a few more years after that)?

8. Boda United

Boda United Member

Apr 18, 2003
    No. Va.
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My source is my ticket rep at DCU. Have heard it from two sales reps actually, one at the VYSA conference, the other in a phone call. My understanding was the upper bowl would be off-limits for the whole season. This is also the source of the info I gave out about the new lease and the $3 fee. Traveling supporter groups will now be placed in one of the lower bowl corners.

9. asitis

asitis Member+

Mar 30, 2005
    Charlottesville
    Please don't forget to wear pants.

asitis

10. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're not the boss of me.

11. La Barra Blonde

Oct 21, 2007
    Section 135
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

12. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sec. 318 with overflow in 317, I'm told.

We moved our season tickets from The Nest to Sec. 318 upon the birth of our son, so were there for four seasons. This offseason, we moved away from 318 because of their decision to move the away support down from the upper deck (which, our ticket rep said, was mandated by MLS) to 318.

13. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    so has anyone heard from a ticket rep or elsewhere what a "sell-out" would be in 2012? what is the capacity for the available 100s-300s (and Mezz) sections currently at RFK?

(look, they've even taken the 400s-500s off of this seating map image. or has it been that way in previous seasons?)

14. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting. That's probably the best they can do. All the SG's are on the loud side now right? Are there any small or fringe ones I'm not aware of who are stil in that corner?

I knew it would be there cause they weren't about to put them on the birthday/kiddy corner.

Just glad those ballwashers will be a few sections away from my preferred zone.

15. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I think that's weak place to put away groups, should have done 118/217/216

16. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA

Yes, this is a change - I guess more or less permanently locking off the upper bowl completely lowers personnel & security costs a lot

Sections 313 to 318 are probably the worse in RFK, so that's fine with me - Especially since they moved the Guiness/Harp stand from Sect 318 to right inside the Main Gate

Sects 118, et al are for the Kicks For Kids program

17. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I hope these kids properly ride & berate the players as they go into the away teams dressing room.

Being in section 118 carries big responsibility :)

18. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't figure out why they didn't stick the away fans in the far corner of the quiet side near the tunnel on the open south end - where the family section is now - they'd be the farthest from anyone who might say something to get them violent and they could more easily keep them wrangled - now they're in the center of everyone and can run lots of different directions - plus they are right by the store and the VW garage, etc. Seems like a poor spot to me.

19. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that would require they move the family section. I don't think putting traveling fans near the family section would be a smart move either.

But you are right overall, if you look around the stadium, I agree that is the best spot.

There are probably also price point considerations as well.

20. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No kidding. They're putting the visiting fans in the few remaining "cheap seats" in the building. If they put them in the other corner, they could charge them more!

The team may not have raised ticket prices, but they shifted quite a few sections from the cheapest price band to the next one up.

21. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    As someone who travels a lot I like to see away groups in RFK treated the way I want my group treated so just saying what I'd prefer as away fan ;)

yea people coming from other clubs with their nice SSSs are probably used to lower prices than majestic RFK :D

22. greekchampion04

greekchampion04 Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    its not just a stadium, its a piece of history... you gotta pay extra for that.

23. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saturday I will be celebrating the sacred and the profane: Mozart's Requiem at the Washington Cathedral at 5:00 and United/SKC at RFK at 7:30. I will undergo a complete physical and spiritual transformation between the two events. If all goes as I hope it does, I will end the day spiritually and emotionally uplifted. And perhaps drunk.

24. greekchampion04

greekchampion04 Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    mozart's requiem is amazing! but better left for late in the season, methinks.

25. La Barra Blonde

Oct 21, 2007
    Section 135
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mozart's Requiem is amazing!

I'm knitting for the troops c. 1940 before hitting RFK. I have to travel forwards in time 60 years and ditch the girdle before the tailgate. :cool: