DC United picks up Carlos Ruiz via allocation process.

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Shammypantaloons, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, Bootsy. I promise it's entirely possible to think people are overreacting and still not believe "nothing in [my] life matters quite so much as [my] soccer team winning."

In the past, he was an effective pro whose method of being effective is one that naturally makes the opposition "hate" him, but I don't have reason to think he's more of a horrible person than any number of other DC United players I've cheered for over the years. Maybe I missed news of an indictment and conviction somewhere along the line.

2. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Santino Quaranta dove like a crazy person. Chris Pontius is starting to go down pretty easy, too.

3. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Charlie Davies was acquired via allocation.

4. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    The "we suck" allocation after the great job the team, and Danny S. did in 2010.

5. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One last thing to keep things in perspective: Even though Ruiz was without a club, he still scored 10 goals for Guatemala in 2012.

6. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    And here are the highlights:

7. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Ahh, of course he was. Thank you..

pr0ner repped this.
  8. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...02/20/d-c-united-comments-about-ruiz-signing/

More quotes on the signing.

Discussion with Ben Olsen:
    Olsen is still talking a good game about our attack and seems to feel no need to rush Ruiz into action:

9. asitis

asitis Member+

Mar 30, 2005
    Charlottesville
    I've been a season ticket holder from the beginning and I have only booed one United player, Zach Wells, that awful keeper we got from Houston while in a panic. And that booing was spontaneous, and born of intense frustration. Also, I have only applauded one United opponent while at a match. That was Rico Clark and it was a standing ovation.

I'm hoping Ben has some devious plan for revenge here, where under the guise of getting Ruiz in shape, Ben runs his ass into the ground, forcing him to puke up his guts, and retire, living the rest of his life with his guts hanging out.

If not, I plan on booing Ruiz the first time I see him play in a United shirt. I hope others will join me.

asitis

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  10. URwormfood

URwormfood Member

Mar 24, 2004
    6 feet under: LOT 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Post Of The Thread. I'm with Asitis.

Oveki8 repped this.
  12. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going out on a limb here and say the off-campus mexican explains the need for the personal trainer. I am all too familiar with that dynamic.:unsure:

13. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    How the hell can anyone ever cheer for Ricardo Clark?

14. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was my first reaction too. My second reaction is, since I've already poked my eyes out with a sharp stick, maybe now I'll just hear the sound of him scoring.

BTW, after the stick incident, I didn't roll around on the floor clutching my head nearly as much as some.

Sockey repped this.
  15. asitis

asitis Member+

Mar 30, 2005
    Charlottesville
    It was a one time standing "O" in recognition of his kicking Ruiz. At the time I thought it was funny and was well before his South African crapfest.

asitis

La Barra Blonde repped this.
  16. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Clark has been crap ever since he was drafted by NY. I've never seen him as anything but a hack, and his actions against Ruiz only solidified that thought. I was happy when he left and saddened by his return. I can only hope that he continues his middling play until he suffers another knee injury and limps into retirement.

17. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fine, your mileage varies. The type of lies that I've seen him tell, with both a frequency and a degree of blatancy that are truly unusual even in win-at-all-costs football, have made and make me sick. Remember the world-wide reaction to Rivaldo against Turkey at the 2002 WC? I've seen worse from Ruiz repeatedly. That bothers me. I don't want to cheer for someone who does that. If you think feeling that way is overreacting or silly, well, obviously you're entitled to your opinion; I'm sure I think lots of silly things.

Barbieri repped this.
  18. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Pontius is nowhere near Davies-style.

OTOH, I'm going to have to think about Quaranta (not about whether he dove -- of course he did -- but how I feel like it compares to Davies).

19. EdTheRed

EdTheRed Member+

Feb 6, 2001
    Loose On The Town
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Cook Islands
    Aside from a career-altering (via injury) loan to Forest, Olsen only played for one pro team. Only one. So no, Ruiz isn't the same ********ing guy. Not even close.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  20. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I never got the irrational Ruiz hate in MLS.

I always found him to be one of the more entertaining strikers in the league. He has more sooccer in his pinky finger than most of the strikers we've seen come through here the last few years ... including the ones we have now

Is that talent still going to show at 33? I suspect it might, but probably not in big doses. But then again it might not. At 33 the body has a funny way of shutting down from one year to the next, although I don't recall Ruiz battling any crippling injuries lately

Either way the hysteria by some in this thread is exaggerated to the point childishness

you suck repped this.
  21. Barbieri

Barbieri Member+

Jul 8, 2004
    Decatur, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. EdTheRed

EdTheRed Member+

Feb 6, 2001
    Loose On The Town
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Cook Islands
    The hatred is purely rational.

23. Murr

Murr Member+

Apr 14, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    You just jinxed this one. :D

24. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Insomuch as people don't like him when he's on the opposing team. I got over my hatred for DeRosario pretty damn quick when he started producing on the field.

25. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In contrast, I never hated DeRosario, despite the damage he'd done to DC United for opposing teams over the years. Same with Twellman. Same with Donovan. They may have infuriated me with their accomplishments over my team; but how I feel about Ruiz is a different animal entirely.