DC United picks up Carlos Ruiz via allocation process.

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Shammypantaloons, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I was thinking about how this signing would mean I couldn't hang in the supporter's sections.

2. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny that you claim you'd rather lose with class when your post is the polar opposite of class.

Well done. Not.

3. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just because the label applies in certain situations doesn't make her statement any less inane.

Charlie Davies isn't the only DC United player to have ever taken a dive.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  4. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    The team is supposed to have class. Not me. And now neither of us do. But ******** you anyway.

PS if you say one more word about LBB, I'll personally come down there and [have a frank discussion with] you.

modnote: Ahem. No threats of violence, thank you in advance for your cooperation.

5. DCUSKINS

DCUSKINS Member

May 26, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ridiculous signing. I'll still be there to support the boys though. 17+ years of passion won't be undone by 1 silly action.

6. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand.

Here's something that's bothering me right now. Suppose he does do really well for DCU -- I doubt it'll happen, but suppose it does. Suppose we win a bunch of games because of him. Then to my mind, I'm in the position of either standing there aloof and failing to enjoy the team's success because I can't cheer for him because it would just be wrong; or selling out my principles and deciding 'hey, it's not so bad after all that he's an appalling person' and getting behind his contribution and so on. The choice between missing out on the team's success, or being less of a decent human being myself.

(There will be people who will read this and think it's silly as hell; these are people for whom nothing in their life matters quite so much as their soccer team winning. Despite the time I spend here, lots of things mean more to me than my soccer team winning -- I hope.)

7. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    By the way, I really want details on how this signing went down.

Because I want to know whether I can fairly blame Kasper or not.

skippy and Chesco United repped this.
  8. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By no means; but I'm not aware of anyone in the modern (post-2004) DCU who tried it so hard and so frequently. So, if you have a substantive basis for your insult, I'm all ears (eyes?).

9. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How is Ruiz an appalling person? The diving and dirty play is well documented, but not out of bounds in the context of a professional soccer game. Stoichkov purposefully, imo, broke a kid's leg. Gomez spit in a man's face. These are worse actions, imo. What am I missing?

I'm no fan, but I don't have the vitriol. Strangely, perhaps, I disliked Davies more b/c he appeared to not give a shit, in addition to the diving. Ruiz maybe cares too much, if he's willing and eager to be that hated.

10. Oveki8

Oveki8 Member+

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    The first thing I did after clicking on the thread was to click on the link provided by the 1st post.

The only thing that makes sense to me are these two posts (by different people) under the press release:

"This is obviously trade bait. Maybe a move to Chivas?"

"possible b/c Chelis like Ruiz he took him to puebla in mexico where ruis flourished"

Please let this be true!

And if it is not true, then why not get Jaime Moreno instead, after all he is playing in the second division in Bolivia...

11. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So let me get this right...Salhi is not the kind of forward we want but Ruiz is. :rolleyes:

12. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Holy Overreaction Batman!

Good points by all. Both on the plus and negative side of the ledger. Shocker I know, I'm riding the fence on this one. As stated in another thread, I simply hated him because he always had the talent but the diving really cheapened his legacy.

As for the person who said that he would not fit into the current Olsen style of play, I'll gladly remind you that Ruiz was a 100% pain in the ass to mark (and he still was, even when playing in Philly early in 2011) who would stop at nothing to score goals.

If the other team and their fans spend all of their time worrying about Ruiz, then some pretty OK guys named Pontius, DeRo, DeLeon and even Pajoy could be beneficiaries of this..

The move surprised me, but honestly I see it as a low risk/high reward signing. If it doesn't work out, then just cut his ass and move on. It's not like we traded Pontius and all of our #1 picks to get him. We selected him in a league draft. The only downside is that United is not eligible to select another player from the allocation draft for the remainder of 2013.

United hasn't actually used an allocation on a player since Danny Szetela in 2010. So what exactly is United risking here?

Despite Ruiz being a huge ass-clown on the field, his team mates at every stop seemed to like what he did for them.. I don't see how this is going to be a cancer unless Ben inexplicably puts him out there to start every match.

Personally, I think United could do a lot worse than bringing on a Ruiz with 25 minutes left.

13. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Outside of the collecting of goals, there is nothing remotely similar to what Ruiz and Salihi do on the field..

14. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His point is why not keep Salihi if you feel the need to get Ruiz? Salihi has fallen that far? It's hard to understand. Sure, the money, but United is in a good way there and they need goals, so never mind that.

15. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm assuming that was part of his point--some of us are pretty disheartened at the "style" of soccer Olsen seems to favor.

Barbieri and Winoman repped this.
  16. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    If ever there were a time to mention Adu, this may be it.

17. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Cost is a factor in what the team (in a salary budget league) will "want" and/or accept.

18. DCUSKINS

DCUSKINS Member

May 26, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How does he 'guess' these things?

20. DCUSKINS

DCUSKINS Member

May 26, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's the GOFF man. I honestly have no idea but isn't he usually right on these things??

21. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lately, he's been on a roll, I must admit.

22. Oveki8

Oveki8 Member+

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Barbieri repped this.
  23. United fury

United fury Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What exactly were you expecting? The man does have 88 career MLS goals. Expecting him to take a contract less than 100k would have been unreasonable. 140k for Fish is probably about right. Plus, its only a one year deal so the risk isn't a terrible one.

As much as I hate Mr. Fish as a player, this move could pay off pretty well if he meshes well with Pontius, DeRo, and DeLo.

Atouk repped this.
  24. Barbieri

Barbieri Member+

Jul 8, 2004
    Decatur, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. Barbieri

Barbieri Member+

Jul 8, 2004
    Decatur, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totally get it - everyone hates Olsen outside of us, Ruiz is the same guy. Do I like it? I doubt he'll see the field... but if he does I can't wait to see someone swing at him when he jumps into the sg after scoring a goal

Saltenya94, ElApacheTevez and DCUSA repped this.