DC United picks up Carlos Ruiz via allocation process.

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Shammypantaloons, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    I tend to agree, I've always thought that the prioritizing of diving over other forms of cheap shit and the way we've tended to weight that against other elements of a players' play was an Anglo-Saxon cultural bias (that owes it's origins to a class bias about the backgrounds of the players).

BUT

Ruiz does all the other cheap shit too. He's just as likely as anyone to jab a guy in the ribs in hopes of a reaction that he knows the ref is more likely to see. Only player I can think of in the league right now who's comparable is Lenhart. And while Lenhart diving is more insulting to the intelligence due to his sheer size, I've never heard a peep from a teammate about him being anything other than ideal in the locker room. Ruiz, by contrast, has been a bad teammate on several occasions (most notoriously the 'Hooters incident'). Unlike Lenhart he'll sulk on the pitch when things aren't going his way and give up on games. He'll find ways to make his return trips from Guatemala take a week. Etc.

2. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    9 teams in 5 years.

3. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, he lives in Dallas and has retired from international play, so that sounds like a non-issue these days. :)

4. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Unlike many clubs he's played for in the past Ruiz does not have the keys to the car. In fact he doesn't even have a back seat. Right now he's in the trunk

At $140,000 per year he will have to fight for any minutes he gets. If he's not capable of being a team guy and fighting for minutes then hell be gone in a matter of months not years. It's not like Ben made any major commitment to him

5. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    All this is true, and I'm sure this was a "look, you know the deal here. . ." type of situation. I'm just pointing out that, while I have a different view of diving on the 'sin' scale than most, it's far, far away from his only sin.