DC United Featured in New Film

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by dcufan1984, Dec 1, 2012.

1. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love this place.

Alejandro 10 repped this.
  2. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if the costume dept. bought the kit in pieces off e-Bay or asked for odds & ends from the Front Office's supply dump? By contrast, if you watch the extra "making of" feature on Moneyball, the costume dept. went to great lengths to get exact reproductions of the uniforms, ballcaps and warmup jackets for each season that was portrayed in the film.

Of course, there can't be more than a couple of soccer nerds out there who would really care.

3. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Nerds? We're professionals.

4. Alejandro 10

Alejandro 10 Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Damn straight, baby! :)

5. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait a minute-- you're getting paid for this???

I should be a millionaire by now.

tab5g, Alejandro 10 and Barbieri repped this.
  6. Transatlantic

Transatlantic Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    A preview of next years kit? :confused:

7. DangerMouse37

DangerMouse37 Member+

Jan 22, 2004
    WDC / Barra
    And every ref in the league.

8. sussexcentralsoccer

Nov 6, 2005
    Bethany Beach
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goodness I hope not, they don't even look right together.

9. gremio1903

gremio1903 Member+

Aug 10, 2011
    Uruguaiana, RS (BRA) [last: Rockville, MD]
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    It is a mix of carelessness and "low-budgetness"...

10. DangerMouse37

DangerMouse37 Member+

Jan 22, 2004
    WDC / Barra
    FYP.

11. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All the costume depart. for the movie had to do was call United's front office and they probably would have come up with some retro threads (for little or not out-of-pocket cost) that would have looked more credible than what they threw together for the film.

12. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saw the commercial on tv last night while my wife was watching something on some channel, it was very short and there was no audio or visual mention of soccer at all.

13. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know you're an Internet nut when...

14. greekchampion04

greekchampion04 Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    any subliminal?

dadman repped this.
  15. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I've seen a short trailer and a long trailer. I don't think the short trailer has soccer in it at all.

16. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The trailer I've seen online has his son driving on his lap with what seems to be a DC United shirt on - the trailer I have seen on TV only shows the dude in a (I assume) Celtic jersey

17. fischy

fischy Member

Aug 27, 2006
    Wow -- The Post reviewer just shat all over this film. One of the most negative reviews I've ever seen. "Punishment."

Hopefully, the next film to involve the team will be better.

18. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's probably just really steamed over the shorts not matching the shirt which clouded his feelings about the rest of the movie.

Actually other than "hey cool look, a United jersey", I have not heard one good word about the movie.

Petworth Posse and dadman repped this.
  19. Barbieri

Barbieri Member+

Jul 8, 2004
    Decatur, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what your saying, is this can't "help" our global footprint? Here's to Luis Fabiano being a rom-com fam!

20. gremio1903

gremio1903 Member+

Aug 10, 2011
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    It has a 5.5 grad at IMDb, which is really average, specially considering it is a rom-com.

There are two reviews, both tell the same thing although in different perspectives:

5 out of 7 people found the following review useful:
    A Pleasant Date Night Diversion, 4 December 2012
    [​IMG]
    Author: markc14 from United States
    Just saw Playing for Keeps at a preview screening last night. Few script surprises in this stock-standard romantic comedy. If you didn't see the end coming in the first 20 minutes, you weren't paying attention. Still, a pleasant date night diversion nonetheless.

Direction and photography were above average. All the actors played their parts up to the very limits of the script. Gerard Butler was quite believable in his role as the womanizing ex- soccer star ready to be a grownup. Female members of the audience voiced their approval of him right on cue throughout the movie. His lifelong real-world enthusiasm for soccer (particularly the Celtics) shone though in quite a number of scenes.

The entourage of swooning soccer moms was also a treat to watch. Judy Greer stole the show in her role as Barb. Her mercurial mood changes were simply hilarious. Dennis Quaid's turn as a mysteriously wealthy local businessman and paranoid husband was a hoot. I can't recall many roles he's played that offered the peculiar mix of affable good guy/sinister bad guy seen here.

Not a chance you'll see this film on stage at Oscar time, but it's worth the price of admission. Recommended.
    Was the above review useful to you?
    2 out of 2 people found the following review useful:
    Save this one for DVD, 7 December 2012
    [​IMG]
    Author: Melina Gunnett from Portland
    I came, I sat, I watched and... well that's about it. I don't have anything bad to say about the movie, but I don't really have anything good to say about it either. Playing for keeps was a pleasant enough love story, but there really wasn't much there to hold my attention. Maybe if I was a HUGE soccer fan... but probably not.

The story was about a man, George (Gerard Butler), who screwed up his marriage and is trying to win back both his wife and son. Butler and Biel (who plays the ex-wife Stacie) both put in a good performance but I didn't feel any chemistry between them. The only character I felt any connection with was the kid, Lewis (Noah Lomax).

Throughout the movie we kept hearing about how exciting and fun George was, but I failed to see it. Dennis Quaid does put in a fantastic performance as the reprehensible Carl.

21. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sweet

22. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Did Carey Talley get any work as a stunt/on-field double for this movie?

[​IMG]

Winoman, Barbieri and Alejandro 10 repped this.
  23. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least his kit would have matched!

Alejandro 10 repped this.
  24. Barbieri

Barbieri Member+

Jul 8, 2004
    Decatur, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Y'know the more and more I read this, I hope they incorporated into the plot of this film of the suck during his "tenure" on the team.

Like, "Look Jaime was out of gas by then and Danny never made the right runs! I had to push myself... I just wish it didn't cost my knee... and our relationship."

/cue Biel doe-eyes.

dcufan1984 repped this.
  25. gremio1903

gremio1903 Member+

Aug 10, 2011
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre

Come on. The guy is from Scotland!

If it was me on his place (all the ladies, now, start to thank God reading this), people would talk about my fandom to Grêmio, instead. After all, I grew up going to games at the Olímpico.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In 1996, I adoted United because I would like to support soccer in the USA; although I was a 15-year-old Brazilian that had no link to this country whatsoever. It was only this fall that I was able to go to the RFK. Huge fan, but my history with DCU is only starting...

dadman and Boloni86 repped this.