DC United acquires Chris Rolfe for allocation

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by shammypants, Apr 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Olsen's main goal in the offseason was to acquire "winners". While I've never loved Rolfe, I think that this is another step in that direction.

It frightens me that someone with such a loose grasp of reality was able to acquire a medical degree.

2. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Yet the team continues to suck and I am rarely ever wrong about our moves. I'm the Dr. House of DC United. I just hope you're not Cuddy.

3. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    It's lupus.

4. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just saw this. I was too busy at work yesterday to even notice this had happened. I really only have one thing to say about it ..... Josh Wolff 2.0.

Boloni86 and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  5. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are SO unfair to the kids from last year. Last season was not the fault of the kids. We only started heavily playing the kids after the team had totally collapsed. We had vets out there for the period of time that determined our pitiful place in MLS. We simply went young to give them some experience in a seadon that was already over. This team is poised to have another disappointing season, with mostly vets at the helm. It simply isnt about young or old at this point. Its a matter of sheer talent. And we dont seem to be accumulating much of that ... at least not that we see on the field.

NASI GORENG repped this.
  6. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TBF Josh Wolff was very serviceable his first season here.

7. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forward. 39 games. 5 goals. Serviceable? Man, our standards continue to fall.

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  8. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    5 goals and 7 assists in 30 games in 2011. I view that as serviceable.

9. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the role he was given on the field, I'm inclined to agree with you.

10. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

mean, just mean. I doez not spell good and you teased me!!! :p :D

revelation repped this.
  11. 6 ft. Leprechaun

Dec 9, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How are we unfair to the younger players? Let's be clear, they're not kids. They are adults, with maybe the exception of Seaton. They were given a shot at playing and earning more time. Some earned it, others didn't. The ones that aren't playing are being given a shot at developing in a lower league. This is how it is done worldwide. We are only three games into the season with some progress made each game. I wouldn't go and say that we're poised to have another season like last year. Whether it's disappointing or not is up to your expectations. Mine are sufficiently low enough that an improvement from last year to a mediocre team will make me smile.

12. NASI GORENG

NASI GORENG Member+

Feb 19, 2013
    fairfax
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    been mulling this over and i've decided i'd rather have Joya :D

tallguy and JRHokie repped this.
  13. fischy

fischy Member

Aug 27, 2006
    Neither Olsen nor Kasper have any interest in building for the future. They are trying to win some games now, because they won't be around much longer, if they don't. So, this is what we get.

Boloni86 and NASI GORENG repped this.
  14. Marco10

Marco10 Member+

Sep 9, 2002
    I don't know how the money and future moves will shake out from this, but as of right now today money, this is a good move. Rolfe fills a need short term that no one else on the roster can fill (Apparently. Me personally, I'd promote Seaton, but that is an aside). So, short term, it's a no brainer given Rolfe's ability level and the (apparent) drop off between Silva and Pontius and our bench.

However, if this means there's no money to pick up a difference making midfielder later this summer and/or Pontius is done forever, THEN IT IS A BAD move. It is very unlikely Rolfe replaces Pontius' likely production in the future even if he does short term. It is even more unlikely he can replace the value of midfielder X who we should be looking for to sign in the summer window.

Lately, it always seems to be all stopgap for DC decision-makers. Even when they seem to plan for the future, like Jeffery, Seaton, Martin, Birnbaum, Kemp, Doyle, etc. They give them a short run, then look for an older head like Arnaud, Espindola, now Rolfe, Parke, Fernandez, etc. to put those guys back in their place learning the game from such "masters". Yeah, I'd like to apprentice from those "masters" :rolleyes: .

Meanwhile, guys like DeLeon and Silva (and I would say Kitchen too, but I still have hope for him to rise above!) have won the lottery and can't fumble their way out of the lineup even though they don't seem to have grasped the nature of the game either and really should have by now.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  15. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    It seems logical but also situates Olsen and Kasper as extremely selfish and destructive figures in this club. Moreso than any case I have made against them. So let's say they milk another year with this old squad of misfits- what then? They lose half of these guys next year for another rebuilding year and start over from there? It also means that Olsen and Kasper are more short-sighted than even I am willing to admit- that they cannot see that youth in the league when properly mixed with veteran talent creates stable and productive rosters. I'm more willing to accept that they are just broke and not wanting to spend money and I would prefer to think they are just stupid, rather than mortgaging our future on a short term ploy to get another contract.

16. NASI GORENG

NASI GORENG Member+

Feb 19, 2013
    fairfax
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    well

there's what you're "willing to accept" and what you "prefer to think"...and then there's reality

feel free to delude yourself

liverbird and tallguy repped this.
  17. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Is reality what is "likely" or is reality more complex. While plausible, I am not sure a single assumption about Olsen and Kasper's behaviors- ascribing them to short-term personal interest- explains everything or even mostly everything. It makes sense on face value to say that they just want to win enough games to win another contract for themselves, future be damned, and they feel the best way to do it is with aging players that in some cases aren't even able to start for their bottom table teams the year prior to acquisition (Arnaud, Rolfe etc.). However, even at "DC United prices" you can win with younger guys that were available to us (particularly with allocation or lotteries). In other words, every coach/GM is looking to do 'good enough' to keep their jobs, but they all still act differently to get there. Columbus is taking a different track than we are in many ways, and so is Dallas, and they have similar money to spend. I'm willing to accept that they want to keep their jobs, but a move like Rolfe fits the current ethos of the club that was developed even before Olsen and Kasper were in the hotseat (i.e. the international market is poison; veteran MLS players have a lot more left in the tank to offer than they likely do; a system of favoratism where nonperformers are given opportunities without actually proving themselves; the belief that limited success is evidence of potential greater future success etc.).

18. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look bitches - Porter is in Richmond. Win, win, win all around. If getting Rolfe made that happen he is already season MVP.

James

fatbastard, Eastern Bear, Heist and 2 others repped this.
  19. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Well, I guess 1-0 for Rolfe...?

BBBulldog repped this.
  20. Eismahn

Eismahn Member

Sep 26, 2003
    Silver Spring,Maryla
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rolfe as sub vs. NE - clinical finish on a far post run, rewarded by an excellent cross from Espindola. When was the last time ANYONE can use those collective words to describe a DC United finish in MLS play, in recent history??

Fine, he may be short term, too expensive, etc... right now, I'll take his example and embed it in the collective offensive memory of this team on how to play.

bigredfutbol and stangspritzring repped this.
  21. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hearby suspend (albeit temporarily) my hesitation regarding the acquisition of Rolfe.

I reserve the right to change my mind again based on future performances. :D

bigredfutbol, NASI GORENG and revelation repped this.
  22. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Let's not be too quick to fall in love. Silva scored 3 games in a row and look at him now.

nobletea repped this.
  23. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hence the temporary and following qualifier...

revelation repped this.
  24. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    I was just speaking generally. I still like Luis Silva a lot (IN SECRET)

25. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Epic. Rolfe scored the first goal of his professional career here at RFK against us, and now scores here again for us.