DC United acquires Chris Rolfe for allocation

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by shammypants, Apr 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    My unflattering opinion would be that Rolfe is simply a familiar name to MLS fans. They hear a familiar name is coming to DC and think 'oh good the team is doing something.' 90% of DC fans have no clue Rolfe is not starting for Chicago anymore and probably think he has produced more than he has in his career by virtue of at least having name recognition.

On the team side, in a very vague theoretical sense he can produce over what is expected of him a la Thorrington but I didn't think Thorrington was any good, so whatever.

2. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need a live body to step on the field in place of Pontius. Rolfe is a known (mostly good) quantity.

Two things are known truths:
    1. Every team in MLS makes better personnel decisions than we do so other teams depth, personnel choices, etc. has no bearing on what we do.
    2. Rolfe is a better quality player than most (if not all) of our bench.

James

NASI GORENG repped this.
  3. Wyrm2

Wyrm2 Member

Apr 29, 2007
    Silver Spring
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Love the move. I've felt a gaping hole in United since Thorington's retirement. The team just isn't the same without a former Fire player who plays ok in the six games a year he's healthy.

4. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    We are putting the 2009 best MLS side together!

5. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    What is Nowak doing these days? Or "PK" Kubik?

liverbird repped this.
  6. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Have you ever heard an MLS TV broadcast? They either fawn endlessly over has-been talent that everyone knows or pump up the no-name rookie that had a good game or two. Whenever I hear the announcers go on about a player from DC, I'm thinking "you must have been watching a lot of tapes from 2004 - 2007".

shammypants and liverbird repped this.
  7. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    At least we still have some standards!

Hedbal, Sachsen, stangspritzring and 3 others repped this.
  8. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    I am boycotting this team until they start recognizing the rights of life-challenged US Americans to play soccer in MLS! Free the brain-eating life-challenged players!

9. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bless you, my child.

NASI GORENG and La Barra Blonde repped this.
  10. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If I can be your assitant, deal!! :D

11. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, as a matter of fact!

Or, no, wait, that might have been the monkey cage at the zoo. It's hard to be sure, what with all the flinging poo and furious yet ultimately pointless activities.

revelation repped this.
  12. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but he played in Europe. :D

onefineesq, liverbird and revelation repped this.
  13. 6 ft. Leprechaun

Dec 9, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So we had a really young team last year. Where did that get us? Have we given up on our youth? No. We play them or loan them out to get more experience. If we gave up on them, we'd get rid of them. We needed experience in the team and we got it. So our older players retire in the next year or year after that? Okay, that gives them time to teach our younger players how to be professionals on and off the pitch. Do I love every decision this FO has made this offseason? No. Absolutely not. However, I think this team is better than last years. That's all I want.

14. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    You want to be his ass it ant? :confused: Sounds like you might want to take this to a more private forum.

shawn12011 repped this.
  15. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Huh? Chicago re-signed Rolfe for a few thousand less than his previous contract. Given that and the fact that it meant not having to pack up everything and go to another city, he would have been an idiot to pass up that offer in favor of whatever lower offer any other team was willing to make to him.

What this situation tells me is that Chicago were idiots for re-signing him in the first place if they knew he would be expendable less than a month into the season, and they were equally stupid for taking him back at a minuscule discount. DC needs attacking help, but I don't think Rolfe is anyone's idea of a solution. If he stays healthy, he could be an older Pontius, but that seems like damning with faint praise to both parties. Neither team looks like a winner in this trade (DC takes on an injury-plagued withdrawn F/M, Chicago gets some money but still pays the bulk of Rolfe's $200K+ contract), so it strikes me as a trade for the sake of making a trade.

16. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I see a positive point in this trade, at least he won't score against us left and right as he has done in the past... unless he scores an own goal...

17. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Also, I think that we should put the final nail on the coffin regarding Pontius recovery... Now he's out another 2 to 3 months, meaning he won't be available till the summer basically. I honestly think he's done, he'll keep going from injury to injury till he'll realize that he'll never fully recover and will retire.

18. Eismahn

Eismahn Member

Sep 26, 2003
    Silver Spring,Maryla
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meh- Only thing about this signing that interests me is having seen him play over the years, what makes everyone think it'll be Rolfe behind EJ and Espindola? Wouldn't it make more sense to put Espindola behind Rolfe and EJ?

Splitting hairs with that, but I agree- it's a stopgap measure, but hey- does it get us from playing a 4-1-2-1-2 closer to a 4-3-3?

nobletea repped this.
  19. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, and in a 433 setup I proposed over in the tactics thread, Doyle was the starting center forward, playing the post-up role with Espy and EJ manning the RF and LF positions, and perhaps slightly behind him. I mentioned that we'd need a back up/replacement for Doyle to make it work properly. Seems to me Rolfe would work reasonably well, and almost defs better than Doyle.

But I have no belief we'd try this.

SoccerEsq repped this.
  20. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    If it gets Porter off the roster, I'm all for it. If it doesn't...Meh

DCUSA repped this.
  21. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    Someone needs to photoshop a pic of DCU players with the "Walking Dead" logo.

22. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Porter as the first sub off the bench is reprehensible. We need to send him to the Riverhounds.

James

23. La Barra Blonde

Oct 21, 2007
    Section 135
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, I like the Riverhounds.

bigredfutbol and JRHokie repped this.
  24. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    That's not far enough away. He could find his way back on the DC roster if he swims around in our fishing area.

25. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I said on the pre-match thread, I want Doyle, Rolfe, Espindola, Johnson, and the "good" DeLeon on the pitch at the same time. They could give NE enough of a hard time that our defensive weaknesses would be minimized.