DC United acquires Chris Rolfe for allocation

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by shammypants, Apr 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    This is an 'OK' selection, but I am not sure what this does with Arnaud yet or if it guarantees an empty bucket.

http://www.dcunited.com/news/2014/04/dc-united-acquires-midfielder-chris-rolfe

Rolfe has been forced out of the lineup by younger and more reliable players. This feels like a move predicated on Pontius and Silva not returning to form, and a lack of international scouting (duh).

2. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    Rolfe is ok for depth but this isn't solving more immediate problems

JRHokie repped this.
  3. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Color me surprised. And happy.

Also color me thinking that an injury is what's been keeping Rolfe on the bench..... and color me, as usual, wishing we had made this move 5 years a go :)

NASI GORENG and Eismahn repped this.
  4. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorry I have no patience for this crap. Unless it's part of a bigger deal, it's a waste of time.

5. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    So the youth movement has given way to:

Name (age)

Arnaud (33)
    Franklin (29)
    Parke (32)
    Boswell (31)
    Espindola (28)
    Rolfe (31)
    Christian (28)
    Neal (32)
    Johnson (30)

Think about that for a second. Really.

6. DCWarrior

DCWarrior Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting. Not quite familiar with his positioning and style enough to comment but it's something. Does kinda hint that we wont see much form the summer window...

@shammypants You could also look at it as veteran mentorship possibilities. Lot's of those guys aren't necessarily great as they are now BUT they were all good to great in their primes and pairing them up to mentor the younger players could be a good thing.

7. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I would agree with that more if we didn't expect them to be starters.

Barbieri repped this.
  8. 6 ft. Leprechaun

Dec 9, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay? So what? We have 16 players on the team that are 25 and under. Half of which get minutes as either subs or starters. I think DC is either leading the league or close to it with the number of Homegrowns that we have signed and even played. Other than Arnaud, most of the guys you listed have 3-5 years of playing time left. They also give us quality experience from the back through the front of the team.

9. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like it because he has the potential to play well and United has a need.

roadkit and shawn12011 repped this.
  10. 6 ft. Leprechaun

Dec 9, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some of them are still in their primes... Espindola, Christian, Franklin.

11. 6 ft. Leprechaun

Dec 9, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see him probably fitting in right behind EJ and Espindola since Silva is going to be out.

Untroubled by Reason and shawn12011 repped this.
  12. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    28-29 isn't young, but it's not old either.

sitruc and liverbird repped this.
  13. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    #13 shammypants, Apr 2, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
    My point is this (and I disagree with your comment about 3-5 years left): We went from the second youngest team in the league (I believe), where pundits and fans alike were applauding the acquisition of young players to START for us, and to create a team around, to one of the oldest teams in the league in a single offseason (and 4 weeks). Other teams are successfully building young rosters and we have not simply totally abandoned that, but rubbed it into the floor mat with the heel of our boot. Most of those young players have been almost totally abandoned in favor of guys with 1-3 years left in the tank, at best. Arnaud was a Montreal washout who likely retires next year. Neal is a washout who retires next year. Rolfe is a washout who retires next year. Boswell and Parke MAY have 2 years left. These aren't veteran presences- they are old guys beyond their sell by date.

We lose Luis Silva in midfield, a guy who could in theory be dynamic for us (aged 25) and pick up in his place Chris Rolfe, who can't break into depth right now for the 17th best team in MLS. Given this I raise 3 questions:

1. Why hype the youth movement at all last season? Does youth matter or doesn't it? What does this team look like next year, since perhaps 6-8 starters will be 30+ years old.

2. What does this say, if anything, about our remaining allocation. I imagine we got him for about 50,000-100,000 in allocation (best guess). Considering how little we had left, what does this mean for an end of the year signing?

3. Tactically what does this mean for us? Where does Martin and Jeffrey fit in to a system that now starts Arnaud and has Rolfe behind him? Have we just set up yet another redundancy in the roster, where our depth has 4 people for one position and none of them are really good?

True, but I wanted to show that we've gotten older. On average we've gotten a lot older, particularly since last year we tried starting lineups where the average age was like 23-24 I believe. People wanted to see more of that, myself included, and more attempts at finding young players we can mold a team around (i.e. Joya). Any way you slice it, we've become an old and slow team, and Rolfe just adds to those problems (lack of speed, lack of 90 minute players and lack of scoring).

Edit: On Chris Rolfe:

Rolfe has never played a full season. He's played on average 26 games a season since MLS implemented a 34 game season.

His scoring has tanked over the years (but he was never a big time scorer). He peaked in 2008 and declined, rising briefly in 2012 (8 goals) and sinking to 4 in 2013.

He has only played 2 games for Chicago this year, which says something about him because Chicago is a bad team and he isn't even functional depth for them.

He averages 3 assists per game in the last 4 seasons, so he isn't the guy to get service to EJ or Espindola.

superdave repped this.
  14. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually think that's good for the youth movement. These guys will be starters until they aren't able to defend their spots and retire. If we'd gone out and gotten ten experienced 27 year olds, that would have really contradicted the youth movement, because they'd take all the minutes for the next 4 years. I do think we've reached our legal limit of over 30s.

We've 5 players over 3o, 10 players over 26. That means 2/3 of our players are still 26 and under. I don't see the imbalance. If anything, we're heavy in the 23-26 bracket, where we have 12 players, and the 22 and under crowd, where we have 7. Take two from each of those groups and add four 27-30 year olds, and then you've got a team with no particular bias, IMO.

6 ft. Leprechaun and fatbastard repped this.
  15. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rolfe has always impressed me and I was hoping we would get him earlier, but he re-signed with the Fire. Of course, the Rolfe I remember was in his prime, when he had the fastest shot release I've ever seen. Give him a tiny opening and Pow! But the fact that he's been displaced is concerning, unless the Fire are gong with a youth movement. The team has talked about playing him up front or out wide, but I think he could fill in for Silva better than this year's Davy Arnaud.

shawn12011 repped this.
  16. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He upgrades depth in about four positions, so I definitely like that about him. And the youth movement was overhyped, either by Kasper/Olsen, the media, the fans or all three. There is youth in the team, and they want to develop it, but not playing first team games. Theoretically, they would be groomed to take the place of the older players next year or the year after.

This trade will come down to whether or not Rolfe plays well. I think his base is good work rate and average/good possession player. That's fine for a game or two now and then as a sub. That's not enough of what this team needs. He'll need to be a threat for goals and taking players on and drawing fouls, while also tying the midfield together. This is what we expected of Pontius, and that's who he's here to replace, along with Silva short term.

17. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he's averaging 3 assists a game he would be very useful;)

I see this as another lazy Kasper move but I hope it works out

Winoman repped this.
  18. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    #18 shammypants, Apr 2, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
    Ok, but here is my perspective on the guys under 26

Decently solid at positions, getting valuable experience and learning/contributing and future DC starters:

Kitchen
    Hamid
    DeLeon: caveat- in decline
    Doyle: caveat- only plays when we are losing (but played more last year); until EJ leaves he rarely sees the pitch

Not contributing or in a bad place learning/developing/getting experience:

Martin: No longer even depth for his starting position, maybe full time Richmond?
    Jeffrey: Now 3rd in depth for a struggling team (4th when Silva returns).
    Korb: Might return if Christian becomes the new Korb/Woolard but is depth.
    Birnbaum: The invisible man, might make depth or start if Parke/Boswell become the new Jakovic/McDonald in people's eyes.
    Pontius: Out for 2-3 months
    Silva: Injured for a month or more.
    Porter: Awful
    Kemp: Not even third or fourth in depth.
    Attakora: I guess he maybe sees the field this year a handful of times?
    Francois: Maybe fourth in depth chart, not MLS material right now, shouldnt see any field time for DC
    Caskey: lol
    Willis: in decline

That's 4 guys 26 or under that have any chance of really being impact players for this team in the next 10 months.

Heavily skewed by one season but I didn't include his stats from AaB in the Danish Superleague from 2010-2012- partly because I couldn't find them (he did score 6 goals in that 2 years). So he had 8 assists in 2008, then 1 or less assists in 2009, 2013 and 2014 (few games played) and 3 in 2012.

19. SoccerEsq

SoccerEsq Member

Aug 28, 2000
    Maryland SoccerPlexish
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In 2012 he was a team MVP. Last year in 2013 he was "subpar" and "lackluster". And he was just an injury time substitute in his most recent game.

Forwards are unpredictable. One bad season is not enough to automatically write him off, but I really hope we didn't blow too much allocation money on him.

Here's what the Chicago Tribune had to say about him a month ago.

Chris Rolfe, Fire believe he can return to form
    Coming off lackluster season, 31-year-old Fire forward thinks he can regain scoring touch and new coach Frank Yallop agrees

Fire forward Chris Rolfe seeks to prove his subpar 2013 was merely a departure from the norm.
    <SNIP>
    A fan favorite, Rolfe rejoined the Fire as a free agent in April 2012 and collected a team-high eight goals — the second most of his career — in 22 appearances.
    He struggled to score in 2013 despite starting 26 of 31 games. Rolfe had the team's second most shots (69), was third in shots on goal (19) but just had four scores and none in the season's final three months.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...fe-juan-luis-anangono-fire-coach-frank-yallop

20. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    451408965776461825 is not a valid tweet id

451409580984377345 is not a valid tweet id

451421814884163584 is not a valid tweet id

21. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well if we were going to actually play him as a forward, I'd be nonplussed at best. I have always considered him to be a slightly above average forward. When I saw the name I'm thinking he goes just in front of Doyle on the chart.

But since my guess is we'll use him as a midfielder, as others have speculated, I'm irritated. It's a pointless deal.

22. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh that's great, so he doesn't really want to be here, even better.

23. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where did you get that from?

24. Barbieri

Barbieri Member+

Jul 8, 2004
    Decatur, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hahahahahahahaha, what is our deal of getting players past their prime who terrorized us years ago!?!

Ben stop picking players you wanted to play with in 2008!!!

Bolivianfuego, NASI GORENG and Winoman repped this.
  25. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's my reading of the tweet that says we were about to claim him in the draft before he re-signed with Chicago. I mean, his agent's job is to try to figure out what his options are, right?

So his agent tells him that DC United is interested, and then he re-signs. Tells me (inconclusively) he didn't want to come here. I could be wrong.

Not that we should kid ourselves, I mean, nobody wants to come here.