DC United Academy

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by mler1019, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Yeah, I feel like there's some truth to that. I think we kind of try to keep them in college unless we think we're going to play them a bit right away (that was the case with White, because we were so bare bones in defense), but if it looks like foreign clubs are knocking, that changes the attitude.

2. fischy

fischy Member

Aug 27, 2006
    DCU U16 -- Jose Carranza gets a invited to residency in Bradenton.

ttp://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/01/07/ten-mls-academy-prospects-highlight-us-soccers-spring-u-17-bradenton-residen

Carranza’s going to have a lot of eyes on him with the 2015 U17s. Wouldn’t be surprised to see DCU try to sign him after his run at Bradenton.

Carranza will be there along with another local kid, Eric Matzelevich (googling says he’s with Bethesda-Olney and attends a school in Potomac (Bullis), but he might actually be a Washington, DC resident — a real rarity for the District to produce a talent at this level.

3. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA

The roster for the U17s in your link it indicates he's from Manassas.

4. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    from goff's latest piece:

*United academy players called into recent national team camps:

Defender Suli Dainkeh (Reston, Va.; University of Maryland): U.S. under-20s at Dallas Cup

Midfielder Jose Carranza (Woodbridge, Va.; Prince William Soccer): U.S. under-15s in Italy

Midfielder Ronald Ventura (Kensington, Md.; Potomac Soccer): El Salvador under-20s

Midfielder Jorge Calix (Alexandria, Va.; Team America): Honduras under-20s

Alexis Cerritos, son of former MLS and Salvadoran international Ronald Cerritos, scored in DCU U-14 squad’s 3-0 victory over Virginia Rush.

dadman, nobletea and Winoman repped this.
  5. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal
    I like Jorge Calix a lot. Too bad we couldn't get him playing for the US.

6. fischy

fischy Member

Aug 27, 2006
    Just read this. Not that it matters much, but the link says Carranza is from Manassas. It also says Matzelevich is from Washington, DC, which is what I wrote. I said nothing about where Carranza is from. I said Matzelevich is from DC, which makes him a rarity on the scene.

7. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    What people call Manassas and Woodbridge pretty much blend together.

8. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    in reality it is dumassbridge. Emphasis on the ass.

james

liverbird and JRHokie repped this.
  9. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    Yeah - sorry about that, I realized later that I screwed somehing up but couldn't remember what, and I was too lazy to fix it.

10. asitis

asitis Member+

Mar 30, 2005
    Charlottesville
    Not that this is relevant to anything (as usual). Years ago I was traveling up to Manassas for a tournament for my son's team and we had one his teammates traveling with us. Riding on 66, the lad misreads one of the road signs and exclaims: "Man asses and dumb fries. What kind of place is this?"
    Just goes to show, you can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy.

asitis

Winoman and song219 repped this.
  11. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And sometimes you can't take the boy out of the boy. Though that's probably a good thing. I've always thought, since I was in middle school, that there are many roads/signs on US50 East to Ocean City, MD that were easily crudely interpreted.

Just a few I can remember off the top of my head
    Cox Neck
    Beaver
    Assowoman
    Tuckahoe

Winoman and asitis repped this.
  12. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    That's how I remember the right way to spell the name of this burg - there's an "ass" in the middle.

13. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I watched the DC United u-17/18 team today. The most impressive thing about them was how good their passing was. The players knew how to be on the right part of the field to receive a pass & they definitely looked as if they played together. I don't know if I had seen this before on a team with Leidos or VW on the front of their shirts.

Winoman repped this.
  14. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    Watched the U18 lose 2-0 to Bethesda-Olney today, despite being up a man for the last 65 minutes. TBH they were on their way to getting blown out before the sending off, as B-O easily could have had four or five in the first 25 minutes. DCU struggled to create chances with an extra man. With more serious local opposition than they've had in the past, they're going to have to up their game.

Winoman repped this.
  15. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not too worried about match results for the academy. What was the score when the player was sent off?

16. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    You don't run an Academy to produce winning Academy teams. You run an Academy to produce players who can eventually compete for places on the senior team in 3-5 years. Maybe 2 players a year might be good enough. If you got 2 or more, you're doing well. If you have only one, you're not. Nobody should care about how well a group of 11 players out there do.

Untroubled by Reason repped this.
  17. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    #168 JG, May 27, 2014
    Last edited: May 27, 2014
    It was already 2-0 when the guy was sent off, and Bethesda-Olney had missed several good chances as well.

One of Bethesda-Olney's players was at the U20 NT camp last week--the only non-college/pro player there--and they have a couple other kids that have gotten U18 NT callups this year. DCU just looked less talented. A bunch of former DCU academy standouts, including some homegrown signings, played for Bethesda when they were younger--now that they have their own academy, DCU is going to have to work harder to attract the top area prospects.

Winoman and nobletea repped this.
  18. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I suppose from a competitive view, the club doesn't really care about which program the talent is coming from so long as they are all within their "catchment", you know? From a certain point of view, even a bad U-18 team is a scouting mechanism.

But it is undeniably useful to have those players within the walls of the castle rather than simply in the fields of the kingdom.

Winoman repped this.
  19. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah but it doesn't mean the presence of one (or a few) local team with more talent means the Academy is poor. a couple years ago Olney Rangers had Gedion Zalalem and a couple other U.S. national pool players but that didn't stop DCU Academy from turning out Collin Martin and Michael Seaton.

Winoman and nobletea repped this.
  20. QuietSide

QuietSide Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Posted this on the DCU News and Speculation catch-all thread but I guess it belongs here.

Dave Kasper letter to Acadmey players:
    Sonny Silooy out as Academy Director.
    U-18 Coach Nolan Sheldon promoted to Academy Director.

21. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    I heard Sonny might be headed to Liverpool from someone I know who talked to him within the last month.

22. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool, I hope wherever he's going, it's Sonny's idea to leave and that he's not headed to any other MLS/NASL team :)

Winoman repped this.
  23. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    I think this is a step in wrong direction. Stating that, I hope this was a soccer-based decision from whomever in the FO knows anything about soccer.

Unless Sonny left on his own. In that case, while still a loss, at least he got poached by one of the big guys. Which means we were doing something right for the past few years in the Academy.

24. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Someone in the FO who knows anything about soccer? I don't think Molly Bruh has firing/hiring authority yet ...

sitruc and asitis repped this.