DC United Academy

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by mler1019, Aug 11, 2010.

1. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has been around forever. Among my area it's definitely a school people know of, but only around 5,000 students. They just joined NCAA Div I in 2007 and the Big South conference (which is probably a conference nobody has heard of) in 2012.
    Not exactly a well known athletics institution. That being said, they have a very low retention rate for students (middle of nowhere style), so I would normally expect to see those two transfer out of longwood if they have good seasons. That being said, according to posters above me, the soccer program is getting ambitious, so maybe they are trying to make their program the real deal.

They went 3-3-12 (W-D-L) last year

2. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    Former DCU academy player OJ Porteria scored the winner in the Phillipines 1-0 win over Myanmar today.

3. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    The down side is where the school is located - that's a lot to overcome.

4. Untroubled by Reason

Dec 5, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is true. Prince Edward County is infamous for closing their entire school system in 1959 rather than face integration after the Brown v. the Board of Education decision. Not a shining beacon, by any stretch.

5. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Follow up to that, I was actually out for a birthday dinner with my father in law the other night, who said 'did you see that 60 Minutes piece on Barcelona? Wow!" It was his 70th birthday, for the record.

6. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Actually, I don't think so. When MLS first created the rules, it had to be two years. I think that's been relaxed significantly since then, and the only case where it would be a clear-cut problem is if a kid went to Bradenton before being a member of your academy.

7. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.dcunited.com/news/2013/0...and-adidas-reach-regional-affiliate-agreement

D.C. United, Beach FC and adidas reach regional affiliate agreement

snip- "D.C. United and Beach FC – in conjunction with adidas – today announced a regional affiliate agreement, the third of its kind for D.C. United and a youth soccer club. Under the agreement, Beach FC will be one of D.C. United’s primary sources in identifying and developing the top youth talent. United will share its coaching resources and will work with Beach FC to follow its training curriculum and system of play. Top players in the Beach FC system, identified by both D.C. United and Beach FC, will have the opportunity to join the D.C. United Academy teams, with a strong priority being placed on the Under-14, Under-16 and Under-18 age"

-----------------------------------------------------------------

They have a pretty good reputation.
    article lists some notable players who have gone through Beach FC

Peter Bonetti repped this.
  8. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Interesting. VA Beach is 3.5 hrs away, when DC takes a player, they must be making some sort of arrangements to put him up.

9. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal
    Yes. I would be very interested in seeing how that works.

10. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    Two academy products--Carlos Canas and Bernardo Majano--were named to the El Salvador team for the U20 WC.

11. NASI GORENG

NASI GORENG Member+

Feb 19, 2013
    fairfax
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    thanks fer that link, X

12. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So who is next? Jalen Robinson?

13. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Him and Patrick Foss (leftback at UVA)

14. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal
    Fos
    Foss would be a decent signing. I wouldn't look for it until next year though.

15. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    looks like Silooy is auditioning for the 2014 DCU head coaching position - or perhaps GM?

NASI GORENG repped this.
  16. NASI GORENG

NASI GORENG Member+

Feb 19, 2013
    fairfax
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    i'd be ecstatic if he got either position

if he could handle it i'd give him vermes/arena type power

Dancy repped this.
  17. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
  18. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    :confused:

19. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    DC united playing in VA?

ugh...

20. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    That part isn't new. I was just surprised how far out.

benni... repped this.
  21. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Those are nice fields out at Morven. Decent highway access, too.

22. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is where the future of United lies. Both as players with the first team and assets to sell. Watching College Cup final four was an eye opener.

Eticha is a holding mid who doesn't put a foot wrong. I don't remember him losing possession once, and he's no king of the back pass.
    Dainkeh looks really, really solid. I don't think he'll be a center back, too small, but a DM for sure.
    Salandy-Dafour was the fastest player I saw all weekend by a large margin and fearless taking players on. He's as close to a can't miss prospect as I've seen of the Academy players.
    Foss didn't play much.
    I liked Sauers, it was a shame he didn't get as much time as Shinsky. Shinsky is a tricky player, no doubt, but he had a lot of giveaways and was beaten for the winner in the final. Sauers had more time in the semifinal and acquitted himself well, also eager to take on players from the wing.
    I don't remember anything about McBride for UVA.

And this isn't even considering Robinson, the top rated Academy alum, and all the younger guys still in the system.
    United has had lots of problems, but this isn't one of them. Kudos for the academy and all those involved.

Winoman and NASI GORENG repped this.
  23. Peter Bonetti

Peter Bonetti Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    1970 WC Quarterfinal
    Last year's under 18 team was very talented. The one thing I have noticed is that it is incredibly hard to anticipate which players DC United will choose to sign. One other note - Ian Harkes is supposed to be doing well at Wake Forest - another player in the mix.

DCUSA repped this.
  24. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is just a guess, but maybe they take a wait and see approach and if a player looks like they might sign elsewhere, they go ahead and sign them if they can. Isn't this what happened with Shanosky, Hamid and Seaton?

fatbastard repped this.