DC United Academy

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by mler1019, Aug 11, 2010.

1. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I knew you knew, but I was afraid of that casual poster/lurker in wake of nick. RIP

2. Untroubled by Reason

Dec 5, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ... and I know that you knew that he knew that you knew that I know that he knew that you knew...
    [​IMG]
    ... what were we talking about? :rolleyes:

3. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
  4. Untroubled by Reason

Dec 5, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given the recent successes of DC's academy, I'd look forward to some of the prospects emerging from the reserves.

5. United fury

United fury Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention with the 30 man rosters next year, any promising draft picks the team drafts. This appears to be a deep draft so any young help United can get through both the draft and academy, might do the team wonders next year.

6. MattMathai

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    Yeah, some of the stuff I've read talks about how the reserve league, expanded rosters and the academy system would all work together. We're becoming a real league!

7. Diceson

Diceson Member

Dec 21, 1999
    The drafts will get "deeper" as time goes on. I think over the last couple of years and going forward we can now expect the 1st/2nd round draftees' to possibly be impact players within 1-3 years - by impact, I mean pushing for starting positions. I still think 3rd=rounders and beyond can be surprises.

I've got to believe the draft will extend to 5 or 6 rounds. Even at the end of 2008, before the 2009 draft, I'd been emailing with someone in MLS that the league was going to do that.

Yes, academies are the natural resevoir of talent, particulary for the established areas throughout the US - S.Cal, TX, Mid-Atlantic. I suppose, somehow the league is going to have to deal with the Federal Youth work laws in order to maximize the potential of the very young players.

However, the college ranks will always be a source of players. If you watch FSC college nites, you'll see that the playing skill level is increasing. I'm looking forward to JoeSF and SMBut's input in the next couple of weeks on the teams and players.

8. Untroubled by Reason

Dec 5, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And it points to what could be a valid strategy for DC: putting money/effort into their youth teams and growing good players from that, rather than "buying" more expensive designated players.

Oh, wait - that would assume the DC United FO has a strategy. Never mind. :rolleyes:

9. Untroubled by Reason

Dec 5, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    About the college players... I respectufully disagree. I remain unconvinced that those players get enough games against high calibre opponents to produce the number of quality players you suggest here. Also, as the number of teams participating expands to 18, the talent pool is spread 11% thinner. In the meantime, nothing I see in the college game has changed to alter the developmental character of that system - especially as emerging high school players exercise options for professional environments in the US, Mexico and Europe. In other words, unless you get a high first-rounder in the draft, you probably have a "project" on your hands.

10. DangSkippy

DangSkippy Member+

Apr 28, 2009
    MoCo Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're being absurd. Of course they have a strategy. They got Najar, didn't they? I mean, near as I can tell that was an accident while they were watching a high school cheerleading practice or something, but they did find him.:rolleyes:

11. mler1019

mler1019 New Member

May 15, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Academy related question:
    Which players will be in discussion of signing them from the academy next?

12. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

13. mler1019

mler1019 New Member

May 15, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What kind of money do players signed from academies get? Is it similar to GA deals? not every deal is the same, correct?

14. Untroubled by Reason

Dec 5, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It very much depends upon the candidate, but in 2010 according to MLS Players Assn., Andy Najar had a base salary of $39K, $58,995 guaranteed; and Bill Hamid had a base of $35.7K, $42,336 guaranteed. A lot depends on position, demand, etc.

15. mler1019

mler1019 New Member

May 15, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    White and Shanosky are part of the 25 man camp for the US U20 team in January

16. pwip

pwip Member

Jul 10, 2004
    Dallas
  17. thebigVA

thebigVA Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
  18. MattMathai

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    I'm flabregasted that they'd screw up like that.

19. DCUroma

DCUroma Member+

Jul 20, 2009
    Suck it Sensi
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Was looking at the USMNT U-15 call ups and noticed several players in DC metro area not attached to DC United

Bruno Scodari (Olney Boys and Girls Club; Silver Springs, Md.)
    Herber Mejia-Flores (GFA Rangers; Manassas Park, Va.)
    Jorge Calix (Team America; Alexandria, Va.)

20. thebigVA

thebigVA Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    It was so bad, I had to take a minute to translate the stupidosity.

21. TBR

TBR Member

Mar 15, 2007
    DMV
    Club:
    CD Aguila
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    I wish DC's website would cover the Academy better. The freaking rosters aren't even up to date.

22. pwip

pwip Member

Jul 10, 2004
    Dallas
  23. mler1019

mler1019 New Member

May 15, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    +1.

24. BigKris

BigKris Member

Jan 17, 2005
    Falls Church, VA
    +2. Would love more coverage of the academy teams. Rosters, results, and upcoming matches would seem to require next-to-no effort.