News: DC United 2014 - News, Speculation, and links

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Mar 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mosca

mosca Member

Sep 13, 1999
    Honolulu
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ho do you square this with your argument before the season that historically most teams in MLS that made the playoffs earned 13 points or more in their first ten games? That would suggest that 0-2-4 is a bad place for NYRBLOL to be: from your own research, they would need to win three of their next four (and Chicago would need 2 wins and 2 draws).

In contrast, if United win two of their next 5 games, thats your 13 points in the first ten games benchmark.

NASI GORENG repped this.
  2. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    You're about 4x more likely to get into the playoffs if you get 14 or more points, correct. I think one way to get around the deficit is by at least earning points each game and showing that you can earn points over time.

Few teams earned 20 or more and didn't make the playoffs but some earned 14 or less and made them. We're talking statistical odds here.

3. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    That's not at all what he said. He said DC played very "direct", which is true. That style doesn't suit his strengths - again correct. He's also right that the young guys won't get much time in DC this year -- again true because that is what we saw last year with Jeffrey, Silva, Porter and Doyle getting big minutes. It's not unreasonable to assume Olsen/Kasper will utilize those players they think will win (and help them keep their jobs). Munoz wasn't one of them. Let's see how much time he gets in KC, or whether or not he winds up in Orlando playing in USL this season and probably there next year in MLS.

Q*bert Jones III and jason1551 repped this.
  4. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    He'll be the star of the Oklahoma City Energy for years to come.

NegativeCreep and jason1551 repped this.
  5. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Saying we play direct is about as charitable as you can possibly put it. We hoof it over the top and pray for someone to run onto it and hold the ball. Once we get a lead, we bunker in -- even if it's the first half. That last win was pure luck and was not at all entertaining to watch.

greatscott and NASI GORENG repped this.
  6. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    If we were depending on Munoz to play significant minutes this season, then we were already in trouble.

Q*bert Jones III and John L repped this.
  7. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    What I liked best was that he referred to the club as "Kansas" - shades of Ray Hudson!

Back to Rolfe, didn't I read somewhere that we were trying to get him in that free agent thingy they do in the fall? That would indicate that he wasn't signed just as an emergency replacement, but we were interested all along. So far he's looked better than I remember Pontius playing last year. Of course, I've tried to block out all of last year...

NASI GORENG and Alejandro 10 repped this.
  8. NASI GORENG

NASI GORENG Member+

Feb 19, 2013
    fairfax
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    i disagree

glad the team is getting points but i'd rather suffer short term and build a solid skilled team

he was a good prospect for the style we should be trying to play

fatbastard, Winoman and morrissey repped this.
  9. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I don't believe you.

People would be howling for the severed heads of everyone involved if they spent a season rebuilding after last year's cavalcade of shit. We may not like it but Olsen & co. are stuffing this team full of experienced "winners" to get this team up to acceptably decent. Munoz wasn't going to play one minute this season under any circumstances, no matter how much potential he had, if any.

10. NASI GORENG

NASI GORENG Member+

Feb 19, 2013
    fairfax
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    all most fans want is a plan
    it would be nice if the plan was effective (and entertaining)

last year was pointless

no plan
    no results
    no beauty

DecadeOfDCU26, Alejandro 10 and Winoman repped this.
  11. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is one and only one plan (how well it is being done, I do not know) - Get a stadium deal.

All other plans come form there. As far as organizationally, anyway.

Olsen's plan (tactics?) seems to be "find a bunch of guys with fight and good chemistry." I wish I could see something more concrete.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  12. Don't Tread on Me

Aug 11, 2010
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alejandro 10, Winoman and DCUSA repped this.
  13. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alejandro 10 repped this.
  14. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I hate to say it but that bench does not inspire. I think there's a disconnect between our bench and the spirit of the beautiful game. I really wish Olsen would be more confident, take more risks and get a little crazy ... I think Olsen should model himself after Diego Simeone and Jurgen Klopf and show more emotion and instill a sense that winning is inevitable. If we're not going to do it with brains lets at least do it with balls.

NASI GORENG repped this.
  15. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the United website, Preston Burpo talks about the upcoming match and what Espindola and EJ bring to the team. His remarks about EJ are disturbing: he describes his role as Pajoy redux; holding up play, dishing off balls, winning long balls from the back, etc.. I want EJ to be running onto balls other players have won and dished off.

16. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly! Don't those tools understand what they have? They've got a pretty decent MLS scorer in EJ, and they want him to pull the Pajoy duty? Are they trying to lose on purpose? Hell's Bells! :mad:

greatscott, Murr and Alejandro 10 repped this.
  17. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    WOW! And this is our COACH?? No wonder players aren't motivated, they may as well coach themselves... Any assistant coach could do better than this, man... We need a MORE EXPERIENCED COACH, we need a REAL COACH

Alejandro 10 and DCUSKINS repped this.
  18. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar

Agreed ... Olsen just looks so uncomfortable and unnatural as a coach. He has not been able to allow his personality to grow into the role. He inspires no confidence and he doesn't seem to be enjoying himself.

19. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Totally - he's still too much a "player" rather than a coach... He can motivate you as much as a sleepwalker...

20. bsacco

bsacco Member

Nov 26, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    Luis Silva is an excellent player that makes others around him play better. Unfortunately, acquiring ego-driven guys like E. J. Does not bode well. Not saying it can't work but it takes a STRONG coach. Coaches like Sir Alex and the Special one... Etc. Olsen is failing. Does not have the chops IMHO. DC united and San Hose are on similar paths and on a race for the bottom.

21. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    So a four game unbeaten streak and a game in hand on the teams below you in the table is a "race for the bottom?" Shammy, did you sign up under a new name?

Bolivianfuego and Murr repped this.
  22. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Can you give the MLS equivalents of SAF & Mou? It's pretty unlikely that coaches of that caliber will be leaving Europe for anywhere else anytime soon.

Conversely, EJ won't be playing for coaches like that in the near future either.

Thx,

Jay!

23. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In fairness, the unaired remainder of his words would have seen the league sanctioned back into the stone age by the FCC, so we probably didn't get the whole story. If curses were top secret, it would have been a blank page except for the word [redacted] . The man's swear jar could feed a third world country.

24. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So we know Cozy Encino or whatever is running the defense. Maybe Ashton is running the offense? Maybe this was done on purpose? It could be simple management problem solving. See where the problems go. Solve thre problem.

25. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait how is Ashton running the offense problem solving?

Alejandro 10 and Winoman repped this.