Post-match: DC @ Houston [ECF Leg 1] 11/11/12

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by NattyBo, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Bonus_Game

Bonus_Game Member

Sep 30, 2007
    San Francisco
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that's why you aint the coach

2. InTheKnow67

InTheKnow67 Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Yeah, lets play with 1 up front. Lets see us get that 0-0. Dynamo will take that, you can bet on it.

3. Bonus_Game

Bonus_Game Member

Sep 30, 2007
    San Francisco
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Playing with 1 forward doesn't mean you can't be attacking. Just look at Germany. Trotting out a lineup in an unfamiliar formation with unfamiliar personnel is just a recipe for disaster.

I would play the exact same lineup we started last game, with Hamid for Willis and Salihi for Pajoy (although I guess Benny subs on Salihi around minute 70), assuming our players recover from injuries.

4. InTheKnow67

InTheKnow67 Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    First of all, we are not Germany, they are successful because they have world class players and they don't play with a hold up forward. They like to keep the ball moving across the ground.

Second of all, I guarantee you that if we play with Pajoy up front by himself (which is basically 90% certain anyway) that we will not score more than a goal. Houston will be playing for the 0-0 and we'll need to be much more attacking than we usually are.

Nice little stat for you: in our last 9 games games we have only scored more than 1 goal once. 3-2 against columbus and guess how many forwards we had on the field that day? Two. It's not a coincidence.

5. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Well I am going to be the very first to go on record to say that it would suck if FIFA gave approval for clones to play soccer. :D

6. Bonus_Game

Bonus_Game Member

Sep 30, 2007
    San Francisco
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes it was. Maicon was absolutely dreadful that game. And also Columbus needed to win so they came out more attacking than normal, so we would expect more goals to be scored regardless of formation. It's an overwhelming confounding variable that nullifies your point that we scored 3 because we had 2 forwards.

Bottom line is our midfielders bring more to the attack than our forwards. I'm much more confident in Pontius/DeLeon/Boskovic contributing to goals than I am in Pajoy/Maicon contributing.

Also how many times have we been shut out during that stretch?

7. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    If DC gets a goal in the first half or early in the second, it's brownpants time for Houston. If Houston scores in the first half, it's damn well over.

8. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    What are the chances we will see Salihi. All he does is score goals, but we need 3. That's 3 games worth of goal for us.

9. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    My gut says that we could see Salihi if we need goals in the 75th minute and DeRosario is unable to play.

10. KickersFTW

KickersFTW Member+

Jan 12, 2012
    RVA (Soccer hotbed)
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no way dude. I'll get a few clones of Messi, M Gomez, Rooney, Ronaldo,etc for DCUand USMNT.

11. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need goals in the first minute; the 10th minute, and the 30th minute, etc., etc.

12. DangerMouse37

DangerMouse37 Member+

Jan 22, 2004
    WDC / Barra
    With the injuries and suspensions, we need goals every few minutes, AND we need Hamid to stand on his head, AND we need a lucky PK, AND maybe an early red from Houston.

Realistically, who among the injured will be available? If Pontius isn't 100%, I don't see anybody -- certainly not Pajoy -- scoring 2 against the University of Maryland, let alone in the ECF. We might be able to do this by committee. But Lady Luck and Deity of Your Choice will need to be two core members of that committee if we are going to come out up two goals at the closing whistle -- and that's just to get us to extra time.

That 3rd goal was a killer.

13. Murr

Murr Member+

Apr 14, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    3rd goal hurt us but so did the blown/no call on Pajoy being taken down without a Red card or a Yellow card given to the Houston defender.

Our team formation and play was actuall good until DeLeon scored. Then we decided to sit back and protect the lead which is what killed us. The team lost all possesion and didn't start moving the ball around until the third goal was scored on us.

I'm more worried about injuries and available players for the next game.

14. I PINCH!

I PINCH! Member

Apr 3, 2006
    Chicago IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey guys, is DeRo back for the second leg?

15. greekchampion04

greekchampion04 Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nothing has been officially announced, but i would be surprised if he does not make the 18.

also, put me in the screw pajoy camp. especially for this game, we should ditch the 4-5-1... go for a 4-4-2 with pajoy (lets be real, no way ben drops him) and one of salihi/santos up top.

the mid that gets sacrificed in my book is saragosa.

this is all assuming everybody else is back healthy

16. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He may be a possibility, but if so, certainly not for the whole match. I predict Bosko will go 60 to be swapped for DeRo, and Pajoy will go 70 to be swapped with Salihi.

However, I should stop second-guessing Ben, since we've already exceeded my expectations for the year. :D

17. redcomet

redcomet Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    It was Augusto that was taken down.

JayRockers! repped this.
  18. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    This game is why the team signed Long Tan. Vamos United!

song219 and greekchampion04 repped this.
  19. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're a bad bad bad BAD man.

20. freekickwiz

freekickwiz Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    Under the endless sky
    Club:
    DC United
    Devastating result. As has been said, Pajoy holds the ball well but has NO idea how to stay onsides. I'm still mad that Najar isn't playing. We could really use his speed and service from the flanks.

21. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The playoffs weren't designed for teams to have 2 road games in a row (except #5), which is basically what we were forced to do by the league, and we had to do it on a short turn around. I mention this because I hadn't seen it mentinoed yet, and it is a direct result of the league's failure to handle our first round properly. So the after effects basically cost us this game as well.

The team started out great, and that early goal was huge because you could pretty much bet the farm Houston was going to score 1 or 2 in the second half because our guys were going to be totally spent. And that's what happened. The 3rd was just punishing.

Still gotta believe.

lemons repped this.
  22. lemons

lemons Member

United States
    Nov 20, 2004
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Agreed, nobletea. Going back to RFK at 1-2 would have been just fine, but the third goal was horrible to concede.

23. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't start him. And when he is brought in please don't sit Boskovic. And what's the situation with Woolard? I thought he had been practicing fully for a week or more.

24. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he can't start, he can't really come in any sooner than minute 70, because you have to allow for the chance of extra time, and if he can play 60 minutes at the end of 120 minutes, he probably could have played 60 in the beginning, and I'd rather have him from the start.

I would say around 75 would be safe-- but I'd like to think we wouldn't need him that late.