Post-match: DC @ Houston [ECF Leg 1] 11/11/12

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by NattyBo, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Oveki8

Oveki8 Member+

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    fyp

That was a straight red. Player gets send off and doesn't score the second goal...

Or, did MLS script it that way...

Alejandro 10 and West Coast Futbol repped this.
  2. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not me. I hear you. They've already well exceeded my expectations this season. But you know how it is: once you're there, it's gonna be heartbreaking when it stops.

BBBulldog and JayRockers! repped this.
  3. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, since the weather report didnt' co-operate, and the Najar thing wasn't panning out yet, they had to do SOMETHING.

Even if it wasn't a DOGSO, to not call a foul was just criminal. ESPECIALLY given the "foul" on which they took the quick restart to score.

Oveki8 repped this.
  4. Oveki8

Oveki8 Member+

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    EXACTLY!

5. mosca

mosca Member

Sep 13, 1999
    Honolulu
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no doubt MLS wants NYRB in the final. I find it hard to believe they give a toss between Houston and DC.

That said, Salazar was breathtakingly poor.

Dynamo_Forever and JC507 repped this.
  6. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Salazar sucks. Pajoy sucks worse

7. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Is this where we discuss 2004 ECF?

Rimando was a beast in that game.

Thx,

Jay!

Alejandro 10 and Ismitje repped this.
  8. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The Pajoy hating is getting unreal.. love ya JE but there IS more to a forwards game than scoring and he had a fantastic game and was truly unlucky not to score on the DeLeon goal.*

*I missed 20 minutes of the second half, so if Pajoy did something really egregious that would change this statement, let me know

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  9. Bonus_Game

Bonus_Game Member

Sep 30, 2007
    San Francisco
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My thoughts on the game:

• Salazar - words cannot fully express my astonishment about is performance today...
    • On Houston's second goal, once Jakovic gets beat, he HAS to foul Barnes and take the yellow card. Terrible decision and probably the turning point of the game, and likely the whole tie.
    • What a horrible mistake by Rafael Agosto(sp?) on that third goal. Inexcusable.
    • Players injured/suspended by the end of the game: Hamid, Najar, McDonald, Woolard, Saragosa, Pontius, De Rosario. That's 7 players who would start on any MLS team (possibly excluding Saragosa). MLS should be smarter about the scheduling
    • We got Kinnear-ed. I hate Houston. The way they play should not be rewarded with results, so if they manage to get by us I will be wholeheartedly cheering whoever advances from the west to beat the shit out of them, even if that team is Seattle.
    • If only Pajoy got that yellow card and he'd have been out of next game! Not that he had a bad game, but he's not the forward to start if Houston is going to bunker and counter.

10. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Seattle advances, I want a meteor to hit the stadium just before kickoff.

Levy2k6, griffin1108 and JayRockers! repped this.
  11. InTheKnow67

InTheKnow67 Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    We actually can blame Pajoy for the loss, let me take you back to when it was still 1 a piece. He had an open goal to his mercy and couldnt bury it anywhere but straight onto the head of the Houston player. If that had of been scored we'd have been 2-1 up and who knows what the outcome would of been in that scenario

12. Oveki8

Oveki8 Member+

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Why can't we just nuke NY AND LA?

13. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, there is, I agree.

No, he didn't.

He was unlucky -- which is even more of a statement in his favor given how hard a shot that was. That's definitely a mark in his favor. But I'm having a tough time coming up with anything else he did in the entire game that was good. Maybe his one dribble to the endline where he was denied a corner he should have received. Other than that, nah. He couldn't hold up possession under pressure. He was fantastic at passing the ball to Houston, or putting out hospital balls when we were already three injury subs in. His late free kick -- well, Roy Miller's was possibly better. And I'm going to hear "Pajoy offside" in my nightmares for months. It would be one thing if his offside calls were because of mistimed runs/passes. It would be one thing if Houston's defense was fantastic at executing offside traps. But Houston's line was static and he was just standing there offside -- over and over and over and over.

14. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh right, the sitter where there was only one place to put the ball to avoid scoring, and that's where it went. Forgot about that one.

I still can't blame our loss on that; but thank you for reminding me. I think.

Ourblackandred repped this.
  15. West Coast Futbol

May 7, 2008
    The Beach
    Update from the conspiracy cave: Salazar is a tool. The fix is in. Play through it guys and we won't be denied.

Vamos United!

16. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, it's not the rest of NY's fault that they have to host RBNY...Something much more localized should suffice. Maybe fly them out for the final.

17. Bonus_Game

Bonus_Game Member

Sep 30, 2007
    San Francisco
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh yeah like Pajoy is supposed to calculate the momentum of the defender going back towards goal and figure out precisely where he is going to be and THEN perfectly place a shot around him. Very reasonable expectations.

TX Bill and JC507 repped this.
  18. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Bootsy is smarter than me, so I'm going to change my opinion on Pajoy.

The problem is, I don't think we have a better option on the bench. Even worse problem than that? Ben doesn't think so, either.

Jegao Paraiba repped this.
  19. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Salihi buries that 99 times out of 100. Pajoy skies it, hits the post, hits the crossbar, hits a defender, or scuffs it god knows where 99 times out of a 100.

Ourblackandred repped this.
  20. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We clamour for Salihi, knowing he's primarily a poacher, but do we really have much more to go on besides that? The games in which he's started were games in which the entire squad fielded played like crap. Maybe someone familiar with Rapid Wein can say how he might perform were he playing in Pajoy's stead.

21. InTheKnow67

InTheKnow67 Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    The defender was on the line prior to the shot. He was waiting to block any incoming shot. all pajoy had to do was put it either side of the defender. Hell there was no keeper there, no excuses.

22. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorry, where'd you place?

We both know MLS Playoffs are closer to a crapshoot, especially given the Clusterf$ck In The East.

23. InTheKnow67

InTheKnow67 Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Club:
    DC United

Maicon? Hell Id even have Josh Wolf upfront ahead of Pajoy. 3 goals in the bagillion minutes hes had. Great return. People say theres more to a forward than goals, yes there is, but Pajoy doesnt do any of those either.

24. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two things from the orange side. #1 the reffing was horrible and you guys would have a better view than we did, but goal one looked offside, we thought we were getting absolutely jobbed by the ref (handball, no card on a mauling) and then the ref makes a very dubious noncall on Hainault. I can see why since technically contact looked to be initiated into Hainault, but then Hainault grabbed and hauled down...ugh. Bad reffing, costing both teams, TV viewers would have a better perspective. The second thing is this dumb playoff schedule. The Dynamo players 1 week ago today against KC were a much better team (more energy, more movement) you could just see they were gassed from 60 minutes on. I know DC was too. DC was playing a lot of backups, but Houston was as well. Houston had their back up center back (who was a disaster waiting to happen), were using central midfielders 4 and 5 on the depth chart, and a back up striker. I can't think this is a good way to decide who goes to MLS cup nor provide for the best viewing experience. I know they want weekend games for bigger viewers, but something needs to be done so that you don't have two overly tired teams playing with half subs to decide who plays in the final. BTW your gameplan and shape were very good vs what Houston wanted to do today.

Liam O'Malley and shawn12011 repped this.
  25. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pajoy wins balls quite well. But what he does with the balls he wins drives me bat$#!t crazy. I swear to got, most of the match Bosko seemed to have given up trying to make attacking runs which got ignored by Pajoy, and instead resolved to dedicating himself as a safety outlet for Pajoy...Only to be ignore there, too. The man doesn't seem to think beyond "get ball." I nearly threw the remote at the TV when a beautiful, beautifully timed run by Bosko was completely ignored by an unpressured Pajoy, who instead played back to Russel.

Winoman and bigredfutbol repped this.