Dayton Dutch Lions 2014 Season

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Kayak, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    [​IMG]

Seems like we should have a thread to discuss the comings and goings of our affiliate.

chr1st and Lucky Day repped this.
  2. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who?

Oh, wait -- wrong thread.

THOMA GOL, eboe and Lucky Day repped this.
  3. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    Nah it's a legitimate question.

Who do you think we will loan to Dayton this season?

4. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many players are we allowed to loan out and still retain the rights to? I'm assuming loaned players wouldn't count against our 30 man limit, correct?

Details on this whole affiliate thing are fuzzy to me. We have 32 guys in camp right now, so I'd say at least two at the moment.

5. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Higuain, Trapp and Wolff. Next question.

6. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    The rule seems to be that we can either loan players for the whole season or on an indefinite basis subject to recall. The guys loaned the whole year shouldn't count on our roster while the guys we can recall will count.

7. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    Who will the players that we loan be training with?

8. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not sure who we send. My guess is Walker, Friedman, Baiden, and Bedell.

We will end up cutting Sloan, Stuver, and Schoenfeld.

9. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you read this anywhere or are you basing this on common sense? I ask because Jardy indicated that season-long loans would still count against the roster, though it seems like nobody is really sure about this.

10. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    That seems to be how it was handled last year. Dom Dwyer went back and forth between SKC and Orlando so he was on SKC's roster the whole year. I think Philly had some guys at Harrisburg and DC at Richmond the whole season who didn't count on their roster. We had to count Horton on the roster because we were paying him while Wiet didn't count at Dayton even though we'd signed him (or maybe only designated him) as a homegrown.

11. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As far as everything I have seen (Jardy and others) they will count against the roster spaces.

12. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hm... still don't know. Again, going off Jardy:

Unless he's was misinformed. Or maybe this is one of those MLS rules that will change as necessary.

Your scenario would make sense, though.

13. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Member+

Nov 12, 2008
    Columbus
    I'm wondering if he's misinformed. I can't imagine how these partnerships would be beneficial to the MLS sides if it didn't reduce the strain on roster or cap for the teams.

14. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    It's MLS. Where anything is possible.

I'm sure TFC, Seattle, LA and NYC will all be able to loan out players to obtain relief - all other, tough shit.

cam5fc and kgilbert78 repped this.
  15. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    I'm inclined to believe Jardy so I'm sure they've changed the rule. I kind of feel like they've changed it in preparation of the upcoming CBA; no reason to give on more roster spots before the negotiations start.

16. Chris_G

Chris_G Member

May 21, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The rumblings say LA is fielding a team this year. I am just guessing, but that means they could potentially have upwards of 50 guys in the loop with both rosters combined. Since Jardy's tweet specifically mentions players on loan, not players on an MLS teams own USL team. So teams without their own team will be at a significant developmental disadvantage if they do not field their own USL team in the near future.

17. JB the First

JB the First Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And, of course, teams with more cash are at a huge advantage if they can pay to field a separate minor league team. I doubt many teams would commit to doing that right now.

18. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A number of MLS teams already have USL sides--just one level down. Chicago and Portland are two. It would not take much for us to move into that level given the youth program already in place. The killer cost is travel.

19. jschwarz

jschwarz Member

Apr 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where in Dayton do the Dutch Lions play? I don't recall ever hearing about a soccer stadium there.

20. naas

naas Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Centerville/Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they play at Beavercreek High School stadium.

21. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah they moved from Bellbrook.

22. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read something about trying to make it more regional with few big trips to safe on travel. Could be remembering wrong.

23. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The old USISL (which became the USL) started as a regional league and they always had that as their model until they got big and wanted to play at a higher division level (about the time the Xoggz were here). Even there, they had a regional divisional model--but then the number of teams that had the financial ability to play at the higher level began to shrink as they did so, eventually leading to the current state where the USL dropped back to essentially a division 3 (but still pro) model for their top level, leaving the 2nd division spot to the NASL. But everyone almost went bankrupt before that happened (and the NASL may still go belly-up). Very few of the teams that predate MLS that tried to go higher are still around as such, excepting those who did get into MLS. Some survived by dropping back down to D3 or lower (Richmond Kickers). Some (like Michigan Bucks) never went that high.

24. JB the First

JB the First Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If all the players are making at least MLS minimum salary, payroll would get pretty expensive. You're looking at $500k+ per year.

25. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some of that would be written off as expenses for the USL team itself--these teams *do* charge admission, so it would be different from the current reserve team model, which doesn't. And I would not expect them to get MLS level salaries.