David Brooks Failure Thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by JohnR, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    [​IMG]

2. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'm not with you on this one.

Typical Brooks hogwash. Sounds grand but falls apart under scrutiny. Yes fancy computer models don't predict mob behavior very well. But they do great at predicting many other aspects of human behavior, such as subway usage, shopping patterns, and future voting results.

Also, when I read Silver he's constantly pointing out the limitations of his models and assumptions. Brooks on the other hand reaches much further and concedes much less.

GiuseppeSignori and tomwilhelm repped this.
  3. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Worth a bump, no?

This election was a massive David Brooks failure. Aside from being dull and self important and wrong, which is a dire combination, Brooks no longer has any constituency. The right dropped him long ago for being moderate, the left knows that he's a putz, and now moderates realize that he's not deep and insightful, he's just an upscale Rush -- a windbag who makes stuff up rather than work with the data.

So who will listen?

JG repped this.
  4. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    He's just another tool like Andrew Sullivan - he's more interested in being the liberals' conservative because it's such a sweet spot from a marketing perspective. If he was just another moderate Democrat no one would pay attention to him precisely because he is so trite and boring. The Times is a perfect vehicle for him, because it lets them claim a Republican editorial voice without actually straining most of their readership's good graces.
    Frum is probably moving that way, but I at least give him credit in that he used to be a true movement conservative; he's got the cred Brooks can never claim. Brooks just looks for what he assumes is the middle ground, stakes his claim to it and claims it's what represents the best of America. He's basically the late election Mitt Romney of pundits.

Belgian guy repped this.
  5. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    As a hardcore Reep said contemptuously of Peggy Noonan, "She's a New York Republican." That's like being a wet Tory.

6. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brooks was terrific on PBS last night, all five hours I watched.

7. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Now I feel like I should have watched PBS last night. Then I'd be able to explain to you why your assessment is wrong. I mean, I know David Brooks has some talent for obscuring his stupidity, but it's always there ... ;)

GiuseppeSignori repped this.
  8. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
  9. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Can't resist quoting this bit from Chait -

crazypete13 repped this.
  10. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    The irony there is delicious

11. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Classic Brooks, always seeking to misrepresent Obama as a lefty so that he can insert himself in the middle between the intransigent right and the intransigent left.

Brooks says that Obama needs a Bob Rubin type in his administration so that Obama will cut deals and be reasonable, as Clinton was. Ezra Klein points out Rubin's current view is to the left of Obama's proposal.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...have-a-plan-a-conversation-with-david-brooks/

12. GiuseppeSignori

Jun 4, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Jonathan Chait had a good take on this...
    http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2013/02/david-brooks-obama-plan-birther.html

13. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I wrote before that this was about Brooks trying to maintain the center ... but now I'm not so sure. It might simply be that he is after all a Republican. He can praise Bill Clinton after the fact, but that's different than praising a Democrat while he's in office. For all his nonpartisan positioning, Brooks might well be just another partisan who can't speak well of the other party. He can criticize his own, yes. But that doesn't make him a true centrist.

14. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    That's more a reflection of the Republicans moving further and further right. He can't say complementary things about the Democrats because by his own world view, they're not "in the middle" - they can't be, because they oppose the Republicans. Therefore, he can never say anything good about them, because the optimal point of agreement is exactly between the Republican and Democrat position, regardless of how far to the right the Republicans move.
    It's just like the deal Obama proposed in 2011 - Brooks at the time thought it wasn't ideal, but now is screaming that the Republicans should have taken it because now it looks to be more in the middle.

Auriaprottu and GiuseppeSignori repped this.
  15. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    When dealing with Brooks, the GOP's optimal tactic is to move FAR right. The further it goes, the more that Brooks will scramble to the right in pursuit.

taosjohn repped this.
  16. GiuseppeSignori

Jun 4, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A walk down memory lane. Ten years ago today, David Brooks wrote this...

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/002/358pyodq.asp#

Belgian guy and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  17. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yes David, events will indeed show.

[Nice dunk by Nate after I left, Mr. Signori. Only good things happen to the Bulls if I leave the stadium.]

GiuseppeSignori repped this.
  18. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well at least the country did not slide to civil war, not yet at least (other than the ethnic cleansing that occurred the years right after the war).

19. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    ... a deserved bump ...
    The facts vs. David Brooks: Startling inaccuracies raise questions about his latest book
    -- David Zweig, Salon

Let's get real: he basically falsified data.

Did he do that out of confusion or stupidity? I have said the guy is a pure dope. But I doubt he didn't know what he was doing with that repeated anecdote.

But then somebody pointed out the error, and he effectively doubled down!

That's knowing. That's intentional.

Brooks is a pseudo-intellectual and a fraud. His continued influence should be an embarrassment to our media.

If only the media was capable of embarrassment.

20. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I recorded a video for work. One of the viewer comments was, "He appears to be channeling David Brooks." :( Not for content, but it seems that I look and talk like him.

Dang.

21. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    When was the last time that happened?
    'I type, therefore I am.'

22. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Oh man, that's harsh!

23. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    At least it wasn't Trump.

dapip, Belgian guy and roby repped this.
  24. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    and i've always seen you more of a david lee roth type.

25. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Your goggles need adjusting.