David Beckham Years: Success or Failure Overall

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Eyenigma, Dec 2, 2012.

?

Was David Beckham's era at the Galaxy Good or Bad Overall

1. Good

96.8%
  2. Bad

3.2%
  1. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SC = SuperClub

profiled repped this.
  2. shelbo

shelbo Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    L.A.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Get used to it if the league sticks around beyond three years.

4. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a fan of women's soccer and a former season ticket holder for the Sol, I have one response:

Don't bet the farm on that happening.

Historically, professional women's soccer has been among the worst managed of any professional sports league in the US.

5. 100fyers

100fyers Member+

Aug 30, 2010
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I respectfully decline football club would be ok with me. And America is part of this earth were the game we love is football. If it's good enough for madrid and barcelona it's good enough for us as well. Dallas would be a little more awe inspiring if they went ahead and just proclaimed themselves Dallas football club instead of FC Dallas, I do think their nickname "hoops" is cute in a 3rd grade palm painting kinda of way.

6. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Soccer" is the Latin translation for "Football." It's not a big deal if Americans call the game Soccer, it's technically the same thing. I like term Soccer more, and I like that some teams like Chicago have "Soccer Club" in their title.

7. Hachiko

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Betting a few tractors...and a few tractor pulls.

8. 100fyers

100fyers Member+

Aug 30, 2010
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought "sawkir" was the slang term for association football coined by the brittish? It's not a big deal to us americans if some choose to call it "sawkir" sure but that is one thing we get clowned on world wide by everyone else (except Canada and maybe Australia). I refuse to use that term, When I speak to others about football (Non american) I enjoy the look of right on yank way to respect the game. And when I speak to our country men and say football I always make sure to use "The Real" before I say football. I respect your preference and and anyone else who chooses to go that route and I hope people respect my choice and preference for the beautiful game.

9. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obvious the game wasn't around when the Latin language was being used. However it's a hybrid word joining the Latin words foot and game.

You should view the word "Soccer" just as would both "Fútbol" and "Football." Plus don't worry so much what other people from other countries think, and what they think of you and your fandom. You're a supporter of a team from "Major League Soccer," be proud of that.

Have you asked yourself why the game is called "Soccer" and not "Football?" It's not a disrespectful thing towards other countries. Think about it. Most people, especially people from Europe, are ignorant to the fact that American Football was played and called "Football" in the America before English Football was imported to America. Once it was, they obviously needed to call it something different. Voila.

Hushx repped this.
  10. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do fans of any other sport spend time discussing the name of the game they are watching?

I'm not sure what it all means, but in a larger perspective it is a little....strange. I mean I have seen real nasty drag out fights on the internet (NOT this thread) about what to call soccer/football/futbol, and at some level it seems a little silly to get exercised over something so trivial.

And god forbid we get on the topic of whether there ought to be collars on soccer/footbal/futball jerseys/kits.

Maybe it is a mark of how much this game grabs people and dominates their lives. Or maybe it just is people playing in the sports sandbox. I really find it weird that there is this obsession - again I am NOT talking about posters here who have discussed the topic respectfully so please don't take these comments personally.

Kerry Dixon's Boots and WarGalaxy repped this.
  11. Hushx

Hushx Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read that "Soccer" used to be the word aristocratic youths would use, and "Football" was a term used by the lower classes of society, since the sport was played on your feet and involved running. Obviously, since 99% of Britain's population wasn't a part of high society, the term "Football" spread more widely and eventually took over as the official name of the sport.

There are many origin theories for linguists, and this is merely one of them: I heard that a student named Charles Wedford Brown from Oxford invented the term right before the turn of the 20th century, around when the sport itself was invented. He and his friends would attach nicknames to things and as they were interested in sports, they turned their attention to the increasingly popular games on campus of those days. Rugby became "Rugger," and thus Association Football became "Soccer." If Britons have problems with the word, they only have themselves and the finest academic institution in their country (some would say the world) to blame. So, to summarize, this is how the word came about:

[​IMG]

12. Hachiko

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least we're not calling it Harpastum...:cautious:

13. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's because it's a truly global game, with leagues from different countries vying for supremacy, plus national teams making it even more fun and interesting. So you mix in sports rivalries (already intense) and insert national pride and history, and voila! Fights over whose team names should resemble whose, whose league is best, which country has the best players, who is a feeder league, not to mention who gets the World Cup---there's just a lot more to fight about, a lot more to be passionate about, and some stronger reasons to be passionate than say, whether or not the NBA has hurt its product by expansion, etc. More people all interested in the same thing from more diverse backgrounds than any other sport.