David Beckham Years: Success or Failure Overall

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Eyenigma, Dec 2, 2012.

?

Was David Beckham's era at the Galaxy Good or Bad Overall

1. Good

96.8%
  2. Bad

3.2%
  1. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bingo!

if MLS ends up using something like this I want a creators fee along with you

2. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey don't for get me and 100fyers there buddy. :p

Ya know I wonder if there is a way to sincerely submit this to the league. You know they'd change the image of LD as to not give us credit but at least we'd have a nice new logo.

100fyers repped this.
  3. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt it.

I think the logo creator for the league is a job that will stay with Don's 5-year old

The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  4. JukeBox

JukeBox Member

Apr 14, 2008
    South East Asia
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Sir Alex was/is jealous with Victoria! Unless Becks divorces her, which will never be, Sir Alex won't take David back!

Hahahaha!

100fyers repped this.
  5. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is a thread discussing a new logo for MLS. Check it out.

6. Eyenigma

Eyenigma Member

Oct 2, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God, please no. That concept is so overdone, in virtually every other American "sport."
    Even professional video gamers have ripped it off:

[​IMG]

If anything needs rebranding, it's the team. Drop the stupid Galaxy moniker and move towards something like FC Los Angeles, or Los Angeles FC. The MLS needs to get rid of the stupid mascot team names and drop the convention of a nickname.

7. Eyenigma

Eyenigma Member

Oct 2, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back on topic, someone above brought up a good point. Would the perception of DB23 and the Galaxy being a success or failure if ultimately his "return" to the MLS as an owner was with (for instance) the Cosmos? Can the pre and post be separate? If post playing career he doesn't come back (as promised) would that nullify his accomplishments on the pitch?

8. Hachiko

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everything happens for a purpose. I think his legacy is sealed.

9. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    So who voted no?

10. 100fyers

100fyers Member+

Aug 30, 2010
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lenhart!

TrickHog and profiled repped this.
  11. 100fyers

100fyers Member+

Aug 30, 2010
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is an american league and we want the red, white and blue (at least the majority I hope) depicted on the logo. The blue and green I never understood but I wouldn't mind if it was kept, The main thing that needs to change is the silhouette. Now I am liking your idea of the names although at this point LA GALAXY is world wide (credit DB23). I would love and support LA Galaxy Football Club all the way! I think it would add to the awsomeness that is our club.

12. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alan Gordon.

TrickHog repped this.
  13. 100fyers

100fyers Member+

Aug 30, 2010
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe it was Rude Who-lit.

TrickHog repped this.
  14. Hachiko

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or a fan of a Western Conference team that is not LA. Of course, he is too much of a coward to come out and claim responsibility at the risk of us jumping on him. Poor thing...

15. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a big critic of Beckham, but his time here's been overwhelmingly good. I imagine it would be hard to argue it hasn't been.

16. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, ultimately a success.

However, it's a "success" tempered by that annoying constant thought of what could have been...

17. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think that we don't change the name. Four Cups and counting says you don't change the name. We don't need to be European we just need to be the Galaxy. I love that soccer is a world game, but that doesn't mean we slavishly ape everything European or South American.

I like the idea of the league logo looking different from other leagues. I don't think we need to stick with red white and blue. That said, the current logo is not memorable. More than anything else, that is the problem. It misses being exciting, misses being classic, and it's just not identifiable enough. Open to just about any solution that will create something memorable.

profiled and galvanator repped this.
  18. 100fyers

100fyers Member+

Aug 30, 2010
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As stated above at this point LA GALAXY is worldwide (yeah yeah), That doesn't mean I'm against FC (football club) being added. I don't mind if it never happens to me football no matter where has to be consistent with all competitions around the world. That is what makes football so special and different from our national sports and there so called world champions. The world is watching and we need to keep as much in touch with that as possible. To me names like revolution, rapids, and earthquakes are just silly, It doesn't pop with pride and here in is where sporting kc is brilliant in their rebrand. But that is just me I don't care about any club except LAG (football). And the logo agreed it needs a face lift I'm open to either color combo it just needs to ooze football.

19. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would TEAM names need to be consistent throughout the world? Schedules and international breaks sure, but names? I think teams like Corinthians, Grasshoppers, The Strongest , Go Ahead Eagles, Lokimotivs of various stripes and Dynamos and all the teams like Kashima Antlers would disagree. Names vary greatly by region. It's pretty much Western Europe that uses just the city name and then FC or city or whatever. As long as the team names aren't inherently dumb (like when Kansas City was The Wiz) regional diversity is fine and can be kinda cool.

profiled and The Cadaver repped this.
  20. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I respect the fact that you are saying these evaluations are personal to you, and who can argue with that? But there are tons of "silly" names in football, when looked at from the outside. Quakes is "silly" but Newell's Old Boys isn't?

However, the REAL reason that there's no chance in Hades of Galaxy changing its name is this: MLS/AEG has just spent 16 years and how many millions of dollars investing in making that name a world-wide brand. It is an extremely valuable piece of intellectual property. You don't just walk away from that investment. It's like Coca-Cola, Kleenex, Texaco: the name itself NOW has a huge value because of it's recognition. You can put that name and logo on a shirt and people will buy it. You can sell tickets to a game involving that team name. It's a license to print money and you don't just walk away from that value because some fans don't think it's traditional enough.

21. Hachiko

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or All Boys.

22. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you mean Young Boys? 'Cause that name just always makes me feel icky, even though I know it has history and all that. I would probably change that name if I owned that team.

23. Hachiko

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Young Boys Bern.

No joke. they really do. Of course I mean All Boys.

cleschke repped this.
  24. tys0n28

tys0n28 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Please, don't stick the FC onto our name. This is America, we call it soccer here - use SC if anything.

I cringe every time I see the Dallas FC name. It would be one thing for a team like San Jose to use FC, since they don't have an NFL team. But in my mind, the football club of Dallas will always be the Cowboys.

WarGalaxy repped this.
  25. tys0n28

tys0n28 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy