David Beckham Years: Success or Failure Overall

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Eyenigma, Dec 2, 2012.

?

Was David Beckham's era at the Galaxy Good or Bad Overall

1. Good

96.8%
  2. Bad

3.2%
  1. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember the same debate at the end of the group stage in the '02 World Cup when everyone was saying the US didn't deserve to advance because we "backed into" the Round of 16. And then someone pointed out what would people be saying if we kept all the results and just reversed them:

1. Lose to Poland
    2. Pull out well-deserved tie vs. host country S. Korea
    3. Shocking win vs. heavily-favored Portugal

We would have been singing the praises of that team up and down and feeling great about them.

So, yes, I think the order in which it happened has a lot to do with the perception. How you finish is always remembered more than how you started...

And that's an important lesson for all the boys and girls out there...

:)

Hachiko and CDM76 repped this.
  2. tys0n28

tys0n28 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I think it was an 8th grade math lesson - the order of operations can greatly impact the answer.

It will be interesting to see what happens next, and how that impacts our judgment of the Beckham era. If he completely leaves the Galaxy, then I think you can shut the book. But if he comes back as part-owner, and has a hand in important decisions, then the book stays open - especially because as this thread shows, what comes last is most important.

3. Ghosting

Ghosting Member+

Aug 20, 2004
    Pendleton, OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless your operations are commutative. :p

Hachiko repped this.
  4. bbbmmmlll

bbbmmmlll Member

Feb 9, 2007
    Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    100% success for both LAG and MLS that resulted in a golden age for both. Calling out faults and mistakes is petty. Bringing Beckham in was an incredibly bold and risky move. It's rare for any grand plan to execute without challenges and success is often determined by how those challenges are dealt with. Credit to the entire LAG organisation and Beckham for sorting things out and delivering. Look at the big picture and the results.

JukeBox repped this.
  5. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And think if the Gals hadnt washed out of the CCL, Beckham might still be around chasing the WCC spot, I always sort of thought that was why he signed that last 2 year deal. Truth is Beckham could win even more if he stayed probably, though for the gals on the field i think its probably best that hes moving on.

6. 562nation

562nation Member

May 10, 2004
    (562)areacode LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another reason its a success

the time warner deal doesn't happen without Becks

JukeBox repped this.
  7. 100fyers

100fyers Member+

Aug 30, 2010
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well now haven't posted anything since last weekend just been enjoying our championship vibe but I am ready to give my thoughts on the "Beckham Era".

Was it a success or failure? That is the question, I suppose it depends on how you look at it. If you are a glass half empty or glass half full person, It comes down to personal belief. I can say for myself that I think the beckham era was a success overall! Alot of folks will say but he didn't dominate, he didn't stack up the stats, he wasn't a good leader, he is NOT the player he was and it goes on and on. But let's remember he never claimed he would fulfill that criteria. He came to change to culture and perception of a young league to show how a world class footballer works at his craft.

He wasn't perfect of course not no man is, For every decision he's made he has had favourable results and not so favourable results. The one thing that not only DRJB but the Los Angeles Galaxy and future potential players can take out of this experiment if you will is knowledge and experience. The LAG learned how to handle big star signings and how to manage them, David learned he was mortal and it takes more than having top class players around you to be successful. Potential players learned that when you come to LA you better come to play for championships NO EXCUSES! Home fans here will boo you if you don't take us serious.

The players in this club and this league are better off now than back in circa 07. The standard has taken a huge step in class since then and the league has enjoyed a growth that would have surely come over time at a much quicker rate. The beckham effect can be seen in all the football specific stadia being built, The franchises that have been added, The sponsorships deals most clubs have secured. The interest of all fanbases that have come to fruition in a single entity hatred towards us (and we love it). The footballers that come from europe to actually play in a competitive league instead of a paycheck in qatar or china. All would have happened eventually, But thanks to becks for giving a helping hand.

Now is he worthy of being a galaxy legend? I think he is in the conversation but not a lock. To me cobi, cien, LD, are absolute no question without a doubt. And the reason is those legends have always put the galaxy 1st and self second. This is where the line gets a little grey for beckham. He put his individual aspirations too far ahead of the aspirations of the club, you could say it's what cost him his place of lore in ManU. He is loved there but he is not a Giggs, Scholes or Neville (he's a toowat by the way love manU hate him). I am ok with having had the most recognizable footballer play for my club that to me would suffice. Now he deserves to be shown respect by not only the fans, the club but also the league for his contributions to MLS hence my idea that the man deserves to be immortalized as the 'logo".

David Robert Joseph Beckham is a good lad that put his footprint in football on these shores, And he brought a legitemacy that would not come easy for us yanks to achieve against a football religious world. But in the end the world has taken notice that we are a force to be wreckoned with and that slowly but surely we are coming to claim football equality. In closing these are my thoughts and opinions right or wrong it's what I think and I stand by them. In the end my club, your club, our club is what is important BACK II BACK champions I love you LA Galaxy.

The Beautiful Gamer and Hachiko repped this.
  8. JukeBox

JukeBox Member

Apr 14, 2008
    South East Asia
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Sorry to differ but Beckham never put himself first over Man United when he was there. BUT...and this is where you really have to think carefully before you criticize him of putting his family and himself first...he got MARRIED when he was 24 years old, he got a baby when he was 24 years old, when he was at his peak, when he was at the prime of being one of the world's best footballers comparing to Giggsy, Scholsy and Neville where all of them were married when they were late 20s-early 30s years old. So naturally, when all of his mates can put a 100% focus to just their club during their prime, their youth, Becks had to put 100% focus to his club PLUS another 100% focus to his family! IMO, Sir Alex's reason to oust Beckham from the club simply because he's no longer spent his time 24/7 at the club, from dawn to midnight after he got married when he is one of their best players is a pathetic reason ever! Throughout that season (2002/2003) and seasons before that Beckham was nothing but one of their hardest working players, one of the best on the pitch and Becks even help them won them the EPL that season! Not to mention Becks even nearly saved them single handedly in the Champions League! My conclusion is that Sir Alex just couldn't stand that someone, a player was getting bigger than him at the club so he had to push him out. They didn't win any EPL after that for 3 seasons and their rank wasn't good either. However, the same thing happened when he got Cristiano Ronaldo and he was worst than Beckham! Unlike Beckham, Cristiano didn't (doesn't) have the same love for the club like Beckham had (and still have). But...Cristiano was one of their key players, like Becks, and to avoid facing the same regret or wrath of the fans or whatever when he sold Becks away, this time he let Cristiano make his own decision.

Just my thoughts.

The Beautiful Gamer and Hachiko repped this.
  9. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^^^ This

10. The Beautiful Gamer

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is good enough to be logo of the league but you have doubts that he should be recognised at the club level as a legend as well? If you ask me, his contribution of bringing an increase to the club's attention level alone may not get him a statue built but should be enough to get him at least a plaque in the team's hall of fame. This attention can't be overstated enough. Especially when you hear from Alexi Lalas and Tim Lieweki about all the reasons why he was brought to the team. Their early support of Beckham is now vindicated due to the success of the experiment of bringing the guy to the league and team.

I read a story recently on how the NBA Logo was created.
    http://www.logodesignlove.com/nba-logo-jerry-west

There is a part where they pretty much say that the league will not confirm nor deny if the image used to create the logo was based on a picture of Jerry West and its believed that this attitude is taken because the league would rather institutionalize the image instead of individualize it. That makes since if you don't want to heap praise on West for his contribution to the league and the Lakers. And though that contribution was great, it was nowhere near what was being asked of Beckham. If you ask me they should not only put the guy in the Galaxy Hall of Fame but in the United States Soccer Hall of Fame as well. But like you said, that's just my thoughts.

JukeBox repped this.
  11. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The MLS logo needs to change, it is so stupid and corny. Why isn't it red white and blue like most of our other leagues? A overhead bicycle kick with the player in white and red on one side and blue on the other. Thats a respectable logo, not this silly shoe and soccer ball

The Beautiful Gamer and WarGalaxy repped this.
  12. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dashiel repped this.
  13. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. The Beautiful Gamer

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually wouldn't mind and nba esque outline of LD dribbling the ball full stride ala...

[​IMG]

or

[​IMG]

or

[​IMG]

StillKickin and Hushx repped this.
  15. Hachiko

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

16. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Replace the green with red, and you're onto something.

The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  17. Hachiko

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was using the MLS coloring scheme.

18. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yea i went to UCSB, said days for one of the most prestigious school systems in the world :s

19. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yea that green is terrible, that was my whole point!

WarGalaxy and The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  20. The Beautiful Gamer

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that's more like it.

21. Hachiko

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blame the MLS front offices. What was I gonna place the green with? Yellow? Red would be too NBA-ish.

22. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    red, it's not nba, its american

WarGalaxy repped this.
  23. Hachiko

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I completely disagree with you, here is an alternate version.

[​IMG]

24. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep.

[​IMG]

25. 100fyers

100fyers Member+

Aug 30, 2010
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If memory serves me correct all of his problems coincided with posh unfortunately. His focus was now on non football stuff (aka the brand) and SAF was not having it.