David Beckham Soccer Academy at HDC!

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by TommyMack, Jun 2, 2005.

1. TommyMack

TommyMack Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Anthony W

Anthony W New Member

May 8, 2004
    It would help MLS, but I cringe when I think about how cruel the US media would be towards the guy. I can just see a ESPN anchor making a snide "spice girls" remark.

3. Michael CM1

Michael CM1 New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Atlanta, Georgia: US
    Well he does OK in Europe despite media outlets like The "Tighty Whitey Saddam" Sun. I still think the benefits are enormous when you bring a name like Beckham here. This is probably at least 5 years away but I would kinda hope he plays in NYC since LA has two teams, THE stadium, and Landon Donovan. The Metros don't have squat plus most media companies have their HQs in NYC. Either way, I'm all for him and anybody else on the UKMNT playing for MLS. Every one of those guys looked like physical freaks.

4. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    O.k., I see where this thread is going, so let's just nip it in the bud...

and my favorite
    There now; it's all been said.

There's a thread alive and kicking in MLS News and Analysis, for those interested in discussing Beckham to MLS.

B/c we could always use another thread on the merits of him coming.

Let's try to stick to the academy and the issues that brings up.

5. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Why, good idea!

I think the more academies to develop talent, the better. We've gotta get away from elite suburban soccer clubs being the primary source of talent development. I find it disturbing that so few MLSers have come from an MLS club academy. Becks will definitely work on bringing in lower income kids, especially when Carson is not too far from Compton and Watts (now predominantly Latino, btw).

6. Anthony W

Anthony W New Member

May 8, 2004
    They didn't look like freaks, they just looked like NFL cornerbacks and wide receivers. Heck, an all star for the Patriots once said that he played both sports until High School. I can't remember his name but he was a cornerback. And a receiver for the Bengals told the exact same story! If we could just hold on to our players our team will look like that physically.

Your right about Becks mtbuckelew, it just that five years is a long time. What if he is used up physically? Also Soccer players in America tend to be viewed as "girly", but we have managed to refute that over the years and the last thing we need is Becks to show up in all his metrosexual glory and washed up physically and looking at America as one last score before he retires.

7. MDFootball

MDFootball New Member

Jul 7, 2000
    DC
    did you really just write ukmnt, as in united kingdom mens national team? :eek:

8. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree about keeping this free of the Beckham to MLS chat.

David said in the interview with FSC that he doesn't intend for this academy to be an "elite school" but rather a place for the kids to learn about the game and have fun. By that I assume it is just going to be a high profile soccer academy for all not a Branderton (i know i misspelled it) type academy for identifed high profile youth players. I missed the begining..what exactly did he say his goal was?

So what exactly is he going to promote here? Is it going to be a standard soccer skills training program or is it also going to be a development program or both?

AEG apparently is backing this venture as the top brass were there admitting they were all about attaching their name to Beckham. :rolleyes:

9. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Yeah, well, be careful, cuz JG Revs (a mod!!) will neg rep you. :cool:

I can't understand why somebody would go through the trouble of neg rep'ing w/o having the huevos to address an issue that they take exception to.

I guess some ppl have to get their sarcasm meter checked. Onionsack, I guess this is a compliment, but congrats on actually having the reading skills to figure out the gist of my message: let's focus on the academy issue rather than yet another thread on Beckham to MLS.

Kinda sad that a moderator has that poor of reading skills...

10. james_smith99

james_smith99 New Member

Jun 12, 2003
    essex, england
    physical freaks in what way????? is it our teeth again......damn you americans and your dental schools!!

.....its all very well creating soccer acadamies but how does that take the game to the inner cities. does this include (or is there already) a coaching program that goes into the schools\communities and takes the game to the kids?? if its inner city kids you want to attract, then using a white, english soccer player most of them have never heard of surely isn't going to do much but preach to the choir.

they've said the schools aren't going to be elitist, but it sounds like they are talking about the athletic elite. if you're still going to have to be a part of the (relative) economic elite to attend then it doesn't seem much for you guys to get excited about re: soccers real growth in the US

11. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078

because many things stated on this board are so utterly stupid, it's better to just neg rep then say anything to prolong the thread

and there's a great deal of mind boggling dumb things to discuss on this board and beckham in mls is definitely one of those

12. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the compliment i guess, but it didn't exactly take a rocket scientist to read this....

.....and figure out what you meant.

13. Ese_Guy

Ese_Guy New Member

Apr 18, 2005
    Sunny Southern CA
    I wonder what this will cost inner-city kids.

CD Chivas USA is about to start a youth training/development program as well, but it seem sort of expensive.

14. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whether he plays his trade in MLS in the next few years is up for debate. But I do take pride in knowing that he has an interest in soccer in the States by opening up the academy. The academy and the many more that will spurce up (Charlton in AZ, Friedel's in OH, Chelsea, Real in LA, ect.) only benefits the development of the game in this country. We have the resources and with the addition of these academies and the presence on a reserve league the future looks bright for US Soccer and MLS.

15. capitalist

capitalist New Member

Nov 13, 2004
    The academy is great for soccer in this country.

Any and all publicity Beckham provides MLS and soccer is huge!

16. jq pepe

jq pepe New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    los angeles
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    by the time Beckham finish his contract with Real Madrid, he will be 35 or 36 years old, still probably a good player but not with a lot to offer to the MLS, except a famous name. the MLS is already known as an "elephant graveyard"

17. Old US Keeper

Old US Keeper New Member

Sep 29, 2004
    Chandler, AZ
    Fixed your post.

18. JG_Revs

JG_Revs Moderator

Sep 11, 1999
    Boston
    I neg repped because I thought yours was a "non-constructive" post.
    You could've figured that out by reading the qualifications of negative reputation; the window pops up when you click on the Reputation button. I didn't feel the need to add a pointless post that cluttered the thread... too bad you didn't reach the same conclusion before posting. I was annoyed that I had to scroll through a page and a half of your trite sarcasm. It's my right to give reputation as a member, as defined by the site. That's why the system is in place.
    The academy isn't particularly relevant to MLS: General. There was also a discussion of Beckham coming to MLS in the article. I don't see the problem with people constructively discussing Beckham, the academy, or both in the thread. Who are you to make a proclamation on what's discussed?

19. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    What do you have, a palm pilot?

And I actually get about 40% of my rep points from my "trite sarcasm". Another 40% for refuting ill-constructed anti-Chivas logic, and 20% misc.

I'm uclacarlos, that's who. Seven nipples of pure glory!

(Whoops, there goes that unadulterated trite sarcasm. So sorry...)

Actually, fair enough. It's just that... in the MLS General forum, Beckham threads have been DONE, and poorly, I might add. True, that was the connection to MLS, as my good friend the Reverend TommyMack astutely assuaged.

But given the positive rep that I got from this post, plus the positive rep that I've gotten from posts that poked fun at the fact that BS became BigBeckham.com this week, I kinda think I mighta had a lil' point: that perhaps it would be wise to address Beckham MLS in another thread in another forum and the academy here.

But you're right, it really shouldn't be my decision.

In that vein, Beck's is soooo dreamy. :p
    Cheers!

20. JG_Revs

JG_Revs Moderator

Sep 11, 1999
    Boston
    In my opinion, your protracted lambasting of users who you anticipate will detract from the thread's quality with their worthless comments on all-things-Beckman is just as counterproductive as the very posts you're (pre-emptively) persecuting. I was momentarily struck by the irony, prompting the negative rep.

Had I known how dearly you hold your reputation -- as evidenced by your incessant references to it, a vindictive 'neg-rep back' on the first post of mine you could find, and the above Reputation Proportional Breakdown that hints of an Excel spreadsheet -- I probably should've let it slide.

I'll be on the lookout for your next constructive post in hopes that I can further endow your metaphorical nipple and advance you on your quest for reputation supremacy.

21. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Hey, I don't do the dirty work. My followers do the breakdown for me, purely volunteer. What can I say, when you're good and you have soooo many followers, these are the perks.
    Ah, but my nips aren't metaphorical. They're real, and they're spectacular! ;)

22. aartef redded

aartef redded Red Card

Apr 25, 2005
    Trust me, the UK media is 100X worse than anything that willl happen here. Plus w/ paris hilton on the scene he'll have to do something pretty crazy to get some coverage

23. capitalist

capitalist New Member

Nov 13, 2004
    anyone know how the Acadamy is doing?

24. ossieend

ossieend New Member

Apr 3, 2005
    derby u.k.
  25. charliegeorge

charliegeorge New Member

Jun 14, 2005
    - shameless -
    Inner city? It's a cash cow venture. No inner city jugador from LA is going to pay hundreds of bucks to attend the Posh Football School, surrounded by the Orange County convoy of Suburbans and Dodoge Caravans.