Dark side of Naturalizing players.

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by SocaWarrior23, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    it is england66. He has like 7 caps for the USA. And was not even a citizen. True story!

2. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um,I know that. :)

Pointing out that Mike's not the only one this story applies to.

'Jes playin' is all.

3. fingersave

fingersave Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did he just get back from the opthamologist?

4. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this thread has become relevant again, not saying Chandler is going to retire internationally... but we should all remember that Chandler is basically a gift to our team, we probably shouldn't feel to entitled to see him in every single game.

5. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know all the details of his family, but up until 2000, Turks born in Germany weren't necessarily German citizens -- unless one parent was a German citizen. Many of the guest workers weren't citizens of Germany, because they never qualified or bothered to go through naturalization (which was onerous). One of the things that triggered the change in the 1990s was Germany sending a teenager to Turkey after he committed some minor crimes, even though he didn't speak the language, had never lived there and had no family left there. He only knew Germany, but wasn't a German citizen, entitled to stay there.

Understandably, Turkish/German citizens have a more torn loyalty than other ethnic groups might have and I'm sure you can find Germans who still consider them "foreigners".

6. Brandinho

Brandinho Member

None
    United States
    Feb 22, 2007
    New Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't have a problem with dual-nationals. I just wish that some of the German guys were calling up had spent at least part of their youth in the US. Zidane was born and raised in France and Ozil was born and raised in Germany. The German guys were calling up have almost no connection to the US except for dad, some of them don't speak English even? Right now it's not put of hand, but I don't really want to see it get to a point where the whole line up is foreign born and raised.

7. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why don't you want to see that?

8. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, what would a completely foreign born and raised national team say about the progress of the sport in this country, for one?

For me, a World Cup trophy would mean far far more if the majority of the players on that winning team had at least spent part of their lives learning the game here.

9. drgonzo

drgonzo Member+

Jun 1, 2011
    Club:
    San Diego Flash
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're wants are completely understandable but we have to start getting out of this "raised in the USA" mentality. We are in transitional period for this sport in our country. I can't imagine in 15 years or so that we'll be poaching foreign talent for our national team. With the number of american raised youths going to europe to join academies and the number of academies now in the mls the future national team will be comprised of guys brought up with the intention of solely representing the U.S. But until that time comes, if some of these German-American players want to play in a world cup then let them try to make the U.S team. Any success that the team has will only grow the sport which allows more young kids learn the game.

10. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    ...it already says that the "elite" clubs academies and the college system aren't close to being good enough...

11. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how could they be? we've only now begun to really pay any attention to this problem.

winning a WC with, for instance, an "all German" U.S. team would say we've completely given up trying - something far worse IMHO than the route we're currently taking.

12. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I have absolutely no problem with Timmy C., F. Johnson, T. Boyd, A. Morales representing The U.S. They are as American as I am in my book.

I was only responding to russ's question that seemed to imply that it'd be just fine having an all foreign trained senior team (I have no idea of his intent with posing that question however.).

For me, something like that would be akin to surrender - saying that we can't train high caliber players on our own.

13. JUAN-XAVIER

JUAN-XAVIER Member

Jul 23, 2009
    TEXAS
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I mentioned this in a different thread, i just don't remember which it was. I believe that this does have a negative effect to the soccer culture in this country.

14. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    I can. It isn't just weak national teams that try to benefit from foreign-born talent - Italy, Germany, and Portugal (among others) have played "poached" dual nationals in the last few years.

15. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A more integrated global economy is just going to mean more far flung American families and more far flung American talent. We will continue to have foreign developed talent, for forever I hope.

I just wish that we take that as a gift and not a given. Developing our own talent should be our strength. Hopefully, it will be some day.

16. SweetLife

SweetLife Red Card

Oct 4, 2010
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as they have some American ancestry I have no problem bringing them in. Every case should be judged individually. Overall it would be insane to not call a competent player who could fill a need the team has due to being worried about them not being totally dedicated. With regard to Kevin Prince Boateng and Ghana. I believe he was not lying. I follow Italian Soccer and he has been injured most of the season and is currently injured now. The guy has serious injury issues.