Danny Welbeck Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by dd601, Jan 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    @benni

are you serious? let me spell it out for you:
    - beating a man and beating defenders at will are two different things.
    - erasing a man and erasing defenders at will are two different things.
    - beating and erasing are synonyms.

you pick the weirdest arguments.

LGRod repped this.
  2. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    LOL DR you are clinically insane.

Invincible repped this.
  3. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Lol ignoring all that, we simply disagree. That's it

4. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    #979 Diable Rouge, Sep 3, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
    you're not as smart as you think you are. illusority superiority's a bitch. i seldom recall an argument on this board where the opposing argument to yours was not deemed idiotic or insane. this is holding you back, you shouldn't only consider your lap dog's opinion.

5. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Nope. Plenty of times compelling arguments can be made where I don't think the person is an idiot. But any sane person who read the exchange where you tried to insinuate that in a football context erasing and dribbling were significantly different.

6. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    Illusory*

7. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    @benni... called me out on that last time, so I didn't bother to point it out. Thank you!

8. littleman

littleman Member

Oct 18, 2005
    I guess the word industry is lost on you, but OK

benni... repped this.
  9. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    So yeah. I seem to recall saying that Danny would have a break out year at the start of the season.

Thus far, he's bagged 7 goals in 14 premier league appearances, 10 of them starts.
    He's also added an assist and he's got a goal in Europe as well.

Happy for Danny boy. Hope he doesn't suffer a crisis of confidence again.

Who would have thought playing a young attacking player closer to goal would get him more goals? Amazing really.

Futbol_Head, Invincible and benni... repped this.
  10. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    The fact that we are relying on him for goals is extremely worrying given his erratic finishing. We need less gif friendly goals and more routine tap/knee/shin-ins.

11. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Danny's finishing isn't what I'd call erratic. He's inconsistent, but that will happen with youth. He's a decent finisher on average and a good finisher when confident. We've just got to build his confidence and you know, play him at striker.

This year, 5 matches as the furthest forward player, 4 goals.

12. tscboys

tscboys Member+

Sep 7, 2004
    Tulsa
    Teso just dislikes Welbz. He asked for him to score more knee-ins/tap-ins...the last time we were successful was when we got away from a striker who scored a lot of knee and tap ins. His finishing is good, you don't see him shanking them fifteen feet wide with consistency, the majority of his shots are knocked wide or back into play by the keeper, which more than likely (and johno said/implied this), means that he is simply low on confidence and he just wants to get it on frame. Once he finds that 'sweetspot' of just inside the post/out of the keepers reach..well..you get the Welbeck of the last three/four weeks or so.

Remember this guy is still only 23, plenty of time to develop as a striker. I'd look for him to end the campaign with around 20. If he establishes and keeps consistency in his finishing that he has shown in glimpses the past few weeks, then he is a player that needs to be playing week in/week out.

13. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I just think he misses far too many routine shots to be a bona fide starting striker for us. It might improve and I hope it does but I am not going to make excuses for him. He needs to do better.

benni... repped this.
  14. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    And he has done better. He's been very good this season. Please recognize he's 23. He's got a good 4 years before he hits his peak.

We also don't need him to be clinical if he can be devastating.

SyedZada repped this.
  15. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If he can be Saha level with everything else he can provide we have an excellent 9.

johno repped this.
  16. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I see where you are coming from, but Danny's levels above Saha at key things.

17. LGRod

LGRod Member+

Mexico
    Aug 14, 2010
    Listenin to Los Bookies
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  18. Sean L

Sean L Member

Jan 7, 2014
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    A team like Man Utd. doesn't sit around and wait to see if Wellbeck can figure it out at striker or not. It goes out and finds someone who has it figured out already. This is not West Ham nor is it a position you dick around with. If the team is looking at moving Rooney to more of a support role, than you need other solid options beyond RVP.

LGRod repped this.
  19. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    It's not Danny that needs replacing. It's Cheech, it's the wingers, it's the midfielder next to Carrick. The rest of the side needs inventiveness, dynamism, quicker technical passers who take one touch instead of three or four, who are happy to pass to a man who is being marked rather than play it safe for a defender to punt up the flanks.

If we sorted out the 2nd midfield slot and made our right wing dangerous again, we wouldn't appear nearly as toothless as we do and using the centre of the pitch would be much more viable, even in the goggly eyes of DM.

20. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    He's trolling....(or talking total nonsense...you decide)

21. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Actually it is both. Of course we are not West Ham.

We are Ever-freaking-ton United!

22. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    #997 Teso Dos Bichos, Jan 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
    He is right. A comparison used to be made between Welbeck and Sturridge. The former is still as erratic as usual while the latter has matured, is in total control of his game and has found consistency. Neither Man City nor Chelsea were willing to sacrifice their success in order to let him develop yet we are doing just that with Welbeck. What he needs is another loan stint or two to sort himself out. He is simply not good enough to be a starting striker for us at present.

Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  23. TheWan

TheWan Member

Jan 25, 2007
    KL, Malaysia
    Thats what RVP and Rooney are here for.

24. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Neither are even in the country and we need far better than Welbeck and Hernandez as our third/fourth option.

25. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Welbeck is a fantastic third option. He's a better third option than anyone in the league and we're better at 1 and 2 than most.

Welbeck is already a more explosive dribbler than either Rooney or RvP, better physically and will get better with age.

Ridiculous to even consider selling him.

Drae, Nathan18 and Karloski repped this.